• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came across this knot and have been using it lately.

http://sockingbehaviour.com/how-to-lace-and-tie-mens-dress-shoes/
http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm
Do you play piano?
For those of us with sausage fingers... this is painful. HAHA

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chocolate Larchmonts today:

kentyman

Reaction score
Why not just re-learn how to tie your shoes "correctly?"

I know that's easy for me to say, since I've always tied mine "correctly" (I think it may have something to do with being left handed). The way a lefty naturally ties a shoe tends to result in the "correct" method, while the natural way for a right handed person (unless they were taught the correct way as a child), is to do it the opposite way which leads to the problem you have.

It may be awkward for a few weeks, but you'd form a new habit sooner than you think.

It's actually not a matter of left- vs. right-handedness. The problem comes from tying the inital overhand knot the same way as the eventual loop knots, leaving an unbalanced knot. So LR/LR (left-over-right/left-over-right) has the same problem as RL/RL. The key is to do either LR/RL or RL/LR...

Just cross the laces the opposite way you do now for the first knot...

This is the key! Sadly, the TED Talk I first learned this from taught the harder way: to do your first knot normally and then tie your bow backwards. It's much easier to just do your first knot backwards and then tie your bow as normal.

on a side note I notice you have the same shoelace loop issue that so many of us have. I solve this by double knotting... is that bad of me?

I actually find that with double-knotting, I like to go the same way each time (LR/LR/LR or RL/RL/RL). But I only do this with casual shoes/laces when they're too long or won't stay with a single knot. I wouldn't do this with dressy shoes.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's actually not a matter of left- vs. right-handedness. The problem comes from tying the inital overhand knot the same way as the eventual loop knots, leaving an unbalanced knot. So LR/LR (left-over-right/left-over-right) has the same problem as RL/RL. The key is to do either LR/RL or RL/LR...

This is the key! Sadly, the TED Talk I first learned this from taught the harder way: to do your first knot normally and then tie your bow backwards. It's much easier to just do your first knot backwards and then tie your bow as normal.

I actually find that with double-knotting, I like to go the same way each time (LR/LR/LR or RL/RL/RL). But I only do this with casual shoes/laces when they're too long or won't stay with a single knot. I wouldn't do this with dressy shoes.

I'm actually not too sure I followed you very well. However, it was just a theory based on anecdotal evidence. I've not yet met a left handed person that has the problem. Not any scientific or truly logical reason. I'm sure someone who is left handed will chime in shortly to say that they have the problem now that I've said that.
nest.gif

EDIT: Nevermind, I see what you are saying now. Indeed, it does require not tying both knots LR/LR or RL/RL. That said, I've still not met a lefty with the problem!
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I'm actually not too sure I followed you very well.  However, it was just a theory based on anecdotal evidence.  I've not yet met a left handed person that has the problem.  Not any scientific or truly logical reason.  I'm sure someone who is left handed will chime in shortly to say that they have the problem now that I've said that. :nest:

My wife is right handed and her bows end up vertical.

FreedBird

Reaction score

Yes, not all right handed people have a problem.  I just haven't ever met a left handed person who does.

Well I am left handed, so apparently it doesn't help me out all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads