• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subutai

Reaction score
My third AE pair in a little more than a month. A beautiful addition to my PA and Strand.

I also decided to get the combination tap sole version just to try it out.

Those look great! I love the burgundy McAllister and the combination tap sole is quickly becoming a favorite. Congrats on the growing collection

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Presidio fit terribly for me.  I'm normally a 10.5E in every other last, but the heel in the 10.5E for these was so loose that there wasn't even any heel slippage.because there was barely any contact.

Same here. I wanted to like the Presidio, but it crushed my toes like a vice as I walked, but was completely loose in the heel and gave me blisters. I would avoid any loafer on the 2-last.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7882_1_40000000001_-1
These things are totally gone from the site already. Wow. Any idea what happened?

What happened to the split toe boot that AE had on the site a few days ago. I haven't had time to read every post in this thread so I may have missed something.

I wondered the same thing a couple days ago, Pastor. I used the link someone posted on here and it tells you that the shoes were discontinued. I dunno.

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I was about to order them. I hope they come back
Maybe they are going add a couple more eyelets!!
rotflmao.gif

That is the only thing that boot was missing.

jasonmx3

Reaction score
Those look great! I love the burgundy McAllister and the combination tap sole is quickly becoming a favorite. Congrats on the growing collection

Thanks! The combination soles are really practical, especially since I do a lot of walking on pavement, etc. They make the shoes almost bullet-proof.

I'm looking to get bluchers and maybe some boots next (for fall/Winter). I think it's time I got acquainted with the shoe bank.
nest.gif

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dress shoes with six (6) eyelets for lace are becoming harder to find in AE styles, even though the few AE still offers, like the Cambridge, present themselves with that extra flare of higher quality and dress. Even my 1999 version of the Sanford (which comes to 5 eyelets) resurfaced again just a couple of years ago to my delight . . . until I noticed they reduced the eyelets to only four.

Enjoy,

David

Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue, Strand, McAllister, Jefferson, Harrison, Broadstreet, McTavish, Neumok, Ridgeway, Strandmok, and Morgan are all 6 eyelet balmorals.

Thanks David. Are they still making the Park Avenues in 6? IMHO the four eyelet create a vamp that looks disproportionately long.

Yes, the Park Avenue is still made with 6 eyelets.

I will have to respectfully disagree with David on his comment above. As I showed in my response to his initial comment, AE is currently offering 12 balmorals (at different levels of dress) with 6 eyelets. About half of those are shoes that AE has offered for decades, unchanged. This is actually more than I found after randomly sampling their catalogs from the past.

In 1970 there were two 6 eyelets balmorals offered, and two 7 eyelet ones.

In 1980 there were three 6 eyelet balmorals offered, and two 7 eyelet ones.

In 1990 there were six 6 eyelet balmorals offered.

When the Park Avenue as we know it was introduced in the fall of 1981, it actually had 7 eyelets. It was dropped to a 6 eyelet balmoral by fall of 1983.

Pastor

Reaction score

Maybe they are going add a couple more eyelets!!
rotflmao.gif
That is the only thing that boot was missing.
What were they called? We could email AE and i'm sure they would have some kind of answer. Maybe they didn't make the final Fall production cut. I can't imagine that they didn't though as this would probably be a popular style for AE.

drcharlie

Reaction score

certainly is a great sale. I hope they turn out to b good quality. lets see pics!

No pics here but I can say that my $149 Brooks Brothers shoes are beautiful! I got a black pair of the BB Park Avenue and a brown pair of the Strands. Both fit right. I could not see any defect on the black Park Avenue, and the laces looked like those of a shoe that had never been tried on. The laces on the Strand looked like someone may have tried them on and there was a tiny (1 mm wide and 2 mm long, max) scuff on the back of a heel. It will polish out and I will do more damage wearing them myself. I am waiting on a Brooks Brothers Presidio (brown) and Ralph Lauren Slaton (black) due to arrive on Wdnesday. Since I am currently 2/2, worst case scenario is 2/4 but I have high hopes. I wonder if a lot of the "branded" shoes are mint over-runs instead of 2nd quality shoes?
On the one hand, I am hoping not to get into trouble at home for buying so many shoes. On the other, it's an amazing deal and I keep studying the list of shoes and keep trying to talk myself out of ordering more.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
What were they called? We could email AE and i'm sure they would have some kind of answer. Maybe they didn't make the final Fall production cut. I can't imagine that they didn't though as this would probably be a popular style for AE.
Good question. I can't remember the name. If I ask AE I'll just attach the picture.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
My third AE pair in a little more than a month. A beautiful addition to my PA and Strand.

McAllister in Merlot (fresh out of the box)

From the pictures that I've seen here and online, I was expecting them to be a bit redder (less brown), but I'm not complaining. I personally prefer the darker shade as they seem to be more discrete.

This time around, I ordered an E and the lacing gap was much smaller. I just hope they don't totally close eventually (I'll straight lace them before I wear them outside).

I also decided to get the combination tap sole version just to try it out.

Those look great! Combo sole looks quite versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads