• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

However, if they were horse "leather" shoes, all this purist talk goes out the window. I'd be like this:
I hear that. My first foray into shell was with a pair of black Leeds. "Black bluchers? What'll I do with those?" said a voice in the back of my head, before I beat it to death with a shoehorn. Now I wear 'em easily once a week.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

disagree. I find the 8 longer and narrower than the 5.

I find that my 5 and 8 lasted shoes fit similarly. I wear thin dress socks with them and I actually size down by 1/2 in each of said lasts. The 8 last is one of AE's best, and it is underutilized IMO.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that my 5 and 8 lasted shoes fit similarly. I wear thin dress socks with them and I actually size down by 1/2 in each of said lasts. The 8 last is one of AE's best, and it is underutilized IMO.

I love AE's 8 last, but I agree with Quadcammer that it is narrower than the 5 last. My 8 last Delrays get worn less and less due to how tight they are in the toe box.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear that. My first foray into shell was with a pair of black Leeds. "Black bluchers? What'll I do with those?" said a voice in the back of my head, before I beat it to death with a shoehorn. Now I wear 'em easily once a week.

A black shell PTB = good choice. I own 2 pairs.

ylkim30

Reaction score
I love AE's 8 last, but I agree with Quadcammer that it is narrower than the 5 last. My 8 last Delrays get worn less and less due to how tight they are in the toe box.

Agreed. The 8 last is pretty tight across the toes. I'm not sure if it is tighter than the 5, but I would go up a width in the 8-last from your normal Brannock size.

OptoDoc

Reaction score

I wear an 8.5D in the Vernon (8) and 8E in the Strand & McAllister (5) and all three are perfect fits. The best fit in the Kenilworth (5) was 7.5E, though it isn't optimal (I tried 8 different sizes, shame because I love this style). My Cliftons (8) are 8.5D, but they are a bit looser than the Vernon. I'm not sure if this is because they run a bit longer or because they have open lacing. I would like to get the Delray (8, open lacing) in the future and will probably order 8.5D and 8D to see which fits better. I also have the Hale (8) in 8.5E, but that was the only size available during a closeout sale. It fits fine with a superfeet insert.

The 8 last is a bit tight on the pinky toe for about the first 5-7 wearings, but eventually they break in to a perfect fit for me.

Last edited:

microbrew

Reaction score

The BB models have the combination sole instead of straight leather, and cannot be recrafted by AE.  Probably does not matter that much to many people- indeed, I just picked up a pair of the BB walnut strands to go with my AE bourbon strands :)

Thanks! Though i'm still not sure why BB doesn't say they're made by AE on their website for this specific shoe while it does for some others. Maybe AE doesn't make them anymore, but they used to, so thats why they are selling them from the AE outlets? Who knows. These are the ones i'm referring to.

One more question - Do these types of sales happen often? When could I expect to see these prices again? I really shouldn't buy more than one pair at the moment but if I cant get this deal again until February I'd probably pull the trigger on two pairs.

Thanks again.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear an 8.5D in the Vernon (8) and 8E in the Strand & McAllister (5) and all three are perfect fits. The best fit in the Kenilworth (5) was 7.5E, though it isn't optimal (I tried 8 different sizes, shame because I love this style). My Cliftons (8) are 8.5D, but  they are a bit looser than the Vernon. I'm not sure if this is because they run a bit longer or because they have open lacing. I would like to get the Delray (8, open lacing) in the future and will probably order 8.5D and 8D to see which fits better. I also have the Hale (8) in 8.5E, but that was the only size available on this closeout shoe. It fits fine with a superfeet insert.

The 8 last is a bit tight on the pinky toe for about the first 5-7 wearings, but eventually they break in to a perfect fit for me.

Interesting ....

If anything, I would put the 5 slightly more narrow than the 8, and the Kenilworth - a 5 lasted shoe - is the only 5 lasted shoe I have ever purchased that was actually too small/tight in both length and width in my normal 5 last size. I'm not a huge fan of the Kenilworth anyhow - so I sold them to a friend whose feet are a 1/2 size smaller than mine.

The Delray is one of the best fitting shoes AE makes (for my foot anyway).

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Though i'm still not sure why BB doesn't say they're made by AE on their website for this specific shoe while it does for some others. Maybe AE doesn't make them anymore, but they used to, so thats why they are selling them from the AE outlets? Who knows. These are the ones i'm referring to.

One more question - Do these types of sales happen often? When could I expect to see these prices again? I really shouldn't buy more than one pair at the moment but if I cant get this deal again until February I'd probably pull the trigger on two pairs.

Thanks again.

Fear not, those are definitely AE's. I noticed way back when they first introduced them, they didn't mention AE initially. Later, they began marketing them as "Allen Edmonds expressly for Brooks Brothers" or something of that nature. The ones you are looking at are probably just remnants of the initial offerings.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I not sure about bit as ic not a fan of the shoe in general but I do wear a Rancourt in caramel shell penny loafer with shorts and one in espresso shell

No problem. I too find some Penny Loafers go well with shorts - e.g., brown calf/shell Patriot, whiskey or ravello LHS, etc.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The 8 last is pretty tight across the toes. I'm not sure if it is tighter than the 5, but I would go up a width in the 8-last from your normal Brannock size.

I wear an 8.5D in the Vernon (8) and 8E in the Strand & McAllister (5) and all three are perfect fits. The best fit in the Kenilworth (5) was 7.5E, though it isn't optimal (I tried 8 different sizes, shame because I love this style). My Cliftons (8) are 8.5D, but they are a bit looser than the Vernon. I'm not sure if this is because they run a bit longer or because they have open lacing. I would like to get the Delray (8, open lacing) in the future and will probably order 8.5D and 8D to see which fits better. I also have the Hale (8) in 8.5E, but that was the only size available during a closeout sale. It fits fine with a superfeet insert.

I've logged many miles over the past 1.5 years in my Delrays, so they're not going to break in anymore. The perils of getting older as my foot has grown wider since I originally purchased the Delrays. Sizing up to an E width is also not an option for me as my heel swims in the shoe. I've come to accept that I should not buy any more 8 last shoes and the 1 and 5 last are as narrow as I go.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And uh, getting your shoe size measured is a free service right? I can just go in, get measured, and leave without feeling guilty?

Yes, it should be standard service at any good shoe store.

You'll hear people reference a "Brannock" device. This is a metal shoe measuring thinagmajig. This is what you want them to measure you with. Every shoe store has one, as do shoe departments in good department stores. if you don't have an AE near you, you can even go to a Johnston and Murphy.

Totally standard procedure. Don't feel like you're putting anyone out by asking for this.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
I would say that the real question is what other shoes do you have in the closet? You've selected a brown balmoral shortwing (BB) and a brown derby longwing shoe (RL). The difference in "formality" between the two is negligible especially in the USA. That is to say StyleForum members are more likely to distinguish between the two styles than the general population. Either model is a "staple" shoe that will serve for a variety of occasions. If money is not an issue, then go with whichever fits best (or whichever suits your fancy). If money is a consideration, go with the less expensive pair. You really can't go wrong with either pair.

Literally all I have right now is a pair of black kenilworths, so these would be a nice way to round out the collection. They both cost the same as seconds from AE, and I have no idea how either one will fit (if the brooks strand is on the 5 last like my kenilworths, that can be expected to be similar).

My vote is for the RL sanderson. I think they are the equivalent of the AE independence line, they use finer leather, etc.

I must say the brooks pictures are absolutely awful, they make the leather look like polished/corrected grain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads