• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor

Reaction score
Here are some AE pics for your looking pleasure.
The AE Shell Rainbow (minus black)

Burgundy Bradley, Brown Patriot, Cappuccino Dundee, Walnut Dalton

sorry for the iPhone pics

Last edited:

harlequin782

Reaction score
Not sure why you edited your response to now accuse myself and the others of "passive aggressive vitriol." All we've done is respond to your several posts complaining about your difficulties and suggest that you expedite the matter by e-mailing Paul, rather than continue to pursue the questionable methods you have been describing. Glad to see you finally e-mailed Paul and finally have resolution, even if it is not the ultimate result you wanted.

The reason I "edited my response" to accuse you or whoever else feels accused of "passive aggressive vitriol" should be pretty straightforward. But since it doesnt appear to be, I will put it as simply as possible: I edited it to include that because there were undertones of "why are you making this so difficult and why dont you just do this, and next time do that". I truly appreciate the suggestions and this thread and its members have been a virtual treasure trove of information regarding all men's shoes, and specifically Allen Edmonds. Yet, those were neither prudent nor applicable recommendations to the actual discrepancy I faced with the order itself, nor did they seek to offer advice on how to contact Paul beyond telling me to email (such as actually telling those who wish to contact him his email address) Nevertheless, what has transpired since then is not something I want to go around in circles forever about. If I sounded frustrated or suicidal or whatever other hyperbolic projection one wants to bestow upon me, that is a projection that I cannot waste any further time rebuffing.

ylkim30

Reaction score
I think people really have to learn to chill out a little bit. It's like once every two days there's a new flame war on this thread. And it is always much ado about nothing.

The off-topic vendettas are clogging up this thread.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think people really have to learn to chill out a little bit. It's like once every two days there's a new flame
war on this thread. And it is always much ado about nothing.

The off-topic vendettas are clogging up this
thread.

It certainly has been contentious lately.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
Have you tried using the AE conditioner/cleaner? I've found that it softens up the leather and seems to stretch/makes the shoes more comfortable as I walk around in them.

Yes, I have. I did both shoes after about 7 wearings so I've worn them about 3 times since. I'll do them again soon. It seems like stretching is a bad idea.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you order mto do they usually bill your cc then or when they send the order?
When I normally order shell which is MTO I get charged right then. However with Paul's offer she told me when I placed my order last week that my card would not be charged until the shoes are completed. Not sure if that is standard procedure or not, it kind of surprised me, and in a good way.
Here are some AE pics for your looking pleasure.
The AE Shell Rainbow (minus black)

Burgundy Bradley, Brown Patriot, Cappuccino Dundee, Walnut Dalton

sorry for the iPhone pics
Well done Pastor. If you don't mind me asking do you have a shoe in mind for black to complete the rainbow?
Two words: Chili Shark.
And the third word is??? LOL you know my answer. Very interested to see what you end up with!

David Copeland

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds will NOT do a "re-crafting" on shoes with a "W" branded into them. As for the "double-drill", I have bought quite a few, and if they are "seconds" I can't find them, and I own over 50 pairs. I do own some of the used "double drills" that I bought on ebay. I don't quite buy into the sellers' "to keep them from being exchanged at retailers". Something smells, and it's why I found this forum. Aside from buying direct, you can get fantastic buys from some of the smaller retailers, often a 90% off, barely used, and definitely eligible for re-crafting. As far as American shoes, there's A/E, and everyone else. Some of the shoes, however, are greatly dependent on how your foot fits with the different "lasts". The terminology, shoe care, and everything you need to know about shoes is on allenedmonds.com. PS, I strongly advise buying, and this is VERY IMPORTANT, the proper, high quality cedar shoe trees, and flannel bags to store your shoes in. I buy all my trees and bags from A/E, the cost add up, but it's a false economy to skimp on this issue. If you can't afford it, don't buy it, or save up. I can tell you I learned a very bitter lesson years back, not to be repeated. Another thing thing I highly recommend is reading EVERYTHING that the A/E website has to say about shoe care, they have videos, Q&A's, and a GREAT spreadsheet that you can download that tells you exactly how to care for the majority of their shoes. And most/all of their info is applicable to other brand shoes as well.

One final, important message. It behooves, strongly to really read the section on Cordovans, they are literally a "horse of a different color" as they are made of horse hair. DO NOT treat them as you would regular calf leather! You can ruin them, and they are, as many as you know, VERY EXPENSIVE! Also, regarding "distressed leathers" and suede leathers are also treated differently. Read what they say, and reread and re-watch all their videos before you start shining away!

I said "final" on my last paragraph, but I lied. Something that I had never heard of, but by using the same brushes, rags, etc, will in time change the color of your shoes. I recommend buying the different brushes, marking the colors, and stick to them. The cost will pay for itself, over time. With quality shoes, you need to take a long-term view, because a shoe such as A/E could last you a lifetime. No, I DO NOT work for them in any way, but after being burned by some of the thing listed above, and paying large amounts of money for imported shoes, I've learned the hard way. And as long as the dollar remains weak, I'd stay away from imported good as much as possible. And avoid buying any brand from any "merchant" from Asia. A lot of crap, and a lot of fraud. I'm not talking about large Japanese companies, but of the re-sellers, and owners of companies who do "great knock-offs" until it rains, or time passes..... Hope this helped some. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum - please don't join the ranks of Ghost Members - for you have plenty of great experiences to share (maybe even an e-book in the making).

I started with your idea of marking the brushes and other products a while ago with the type/color marked on the wood so as to avoid cross-contamination.

In a recent video on this forum, the member was using a cloth to apply that also had a small corner portion which looked like sand-paper for the edges. I have not seen such a cloth before - unless he sewed it in himself.

MarkD

Reaction score
Just starting out with the basics here...

Has anyone tried the "combination tap sole" that A-E has been offering lately? I'm curious because the traditional leather outsole doesn't always mix with the wet Florida weather here, but the rubber seems like it would wear through after a while.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was thinking Chili Sharkskin Dundee's. But now that you mention it..... hmmmm I like it! http://files.styleforum.net/images/smilies/
biggrin.gif
Maybe it's because I'm in Louisiana but I was thinking chili shark gumbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads