• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put them on my shoes as an alternative to recrafting I can have 5 topys put on for the price of one trip to ae or alden or 3 for a trip to b nelson not to mention the worry of having your shoes in the mail .
I notice no difference in breathability between my shoes with and without
the only real difference I am aware of is better traction
yes you can see the topy when sitting with your legs crossed but thats the only time i dont find them visible when standing
as for the cool stamp just wear your shoes till the stamp is worn off before putting topys on
there are levels of aesthetic to the bare leather sole that i can understand but dont necessarily share
i think it just boils down to what you prefer there are advantages and disadvantages to both there is not really a "better "solution
but aint that the way of most first world problems

Agree completely. I have topys on probably half my shoes and notice ZERO difference in breathability as compared to regular leather soles.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I believe Nick from B. Nelson (pretty well known for their recrafting on the Alden thread) has said that there's no difference in breathability between topy'd and non-topy'd shoes.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well my first pair of AE's come today, the Townleys, first impressions are wow these things barely weigh a thing. The finish was not as bright and didn’t have as much shine as I thought it would being cordovan, probably due to the cream issue. I'll post pictures of them tonight.
What cream issue?

Looking forward to your pics.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

anyone know if the $35 off card included with recrafted shoes stacks with anniversary pricing?
I would assume so, it's like a gift card, correct?
It's not like a gift card. Here is the fine print from the card Card only redeemable at Allen Edmonds Retail Stores, allenedmonds.com (enter card number at checkout) and select authorized dealers. Not redeemable at Allen Edmonds Outlet Stores. Not valid with any other offer. Card is good for single receipt purchase of Allen Edmonds shoes only. Limit one card per pair of shoes purchased. Card is not redeemable for cash and cannot be replaced if lost of stolen. Void if altered, copied, or sold through any online auction. Not valid on previous purchases. Card is valid in the U.S. only and will expire within 75 days of receipt. Questions, please call 1-800-235-2348.]/i]
Do you guys bother with Sole Savers or Topy sole pads with your new shoes?
When I started reading SF, I thought I may have been swayed to not get them, but I have shoes that are at least 5 years old that have not had to have their Topy redone yet. I have not really been getting Topys for a period, but now think I will probably get them all of my shoes going forward. It's just way more cost efficient.
Everyone thinks Allen Edmonds shoes are made in the USA and it's true they are able to brand them as such, however I just learned that they stitch the uppers in the Dominican Republic and then ship them to the USA to final assemble the shoes...: http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2007/04/30/story1.html?page=all and http://www.styleforum.net/t/228354/...-in-the-dominican-republic/0_100#post_4903126
From the quote that you provided from the AE CEO it seems like most and the most important part of the production of the shoe is done in the U.S.
I don't think it's just the handsewn models, but could be wrong. From the 2nd link above: "the part of the Goodyear welt process that's also done in the DR is the cutting of the upper leathers, sewing of those pieces together and "hanging" of the lining" doesn't sound like just hand sewing to me. I personally don't care if they are made in Siberia. But billing themselves as just seems disingenuous, at best.
I mean if you want to be picky about it being a great American shoe company doesn't necessarily mean everything needs to be manufactured in the U.S. They could have all the production done outside of the U.S. and they still would be an American shoe company, e.g., Apple, Ralph Lauren, etc.

Last edited:

frogwash

Reaction score
Regarding where the uppers are cut/sewn. Paul said is's duplicative, depending on orders. It's also already been stated in articles, that overall it does not save them money due to the shipping, it is just to meet demand. To me that says it's just for what is best for workflow, so that we can get our shoes in the most timely manner possible. If it is duplicative, to me, that indicates your upper may be done in the US or it may be done in the DR.

I had some Fifth Street boots that had some problems. They first said 6-8 weeks for replacements. Paul got involved and on the third day, new ones were on my feet and I'm in California!!! :slayer: There's no way this could have been accomplished if these were cut and sewn in DR. This proves that this process is genuinely duplicative and can be done either here or there.

Anyhow, Paul and their customer service are the absolute best and your particular AE's may be 100% USM or it may have had a step done elsewhere for expediency's sake.

Busa

Reaction score
Thanks- actually that got me looking at lasts, and on the site you can pick a last that is a shape you like and see every shoe they make on that last! Cool...

Have you taken a look at the Parkway? This shoe is a bit more European influenced than the average AE shoe IMHO. There are several user shots in this thread to give you an idea.

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can bookmark this thread in IE or Chrome so that the most recent post appears on the page after clicking the bookmark?

Last edited:

Blunosr

Reaction score
Looking for an opinion so I thought I'd come to the experts.

I'm looking at picking up another pair of AE's - was planning on bourbon strands, but the recent sale on walnut mcallisters has piqued my interest. Now I'm considering getting both, though for roughly the same price I could get brown shell strands.

I've always thought the brown shell strands to be incredible, but I also like the versatility afforded by the two different colors.

Any advice?

frank212

Reaction score
Uh, oh, I'm not enamored with my new black shell Leeds. They look institutional, as in worn by an asylum orderly. Is it an acquired taste or did you guys like yours from day 1?

cbtaylor

Reaction score
Looking for an opinion so I thought I'd come to the experts.

I'm looking at picking up another pair of AE's - was planning on bourbon strands, but the recent sale on walnut mcallisters has piqued my interest. Now I'm considering getting both, though for roughly the same price I could get brown shell strands.

I've always thought the brown shell strands to be incredible, but I also like the versatility afforded by the two different colors.

Any advice?

If you do not have a very vast rotation, I would probably get the strands and mcallisters. But you are correct, the shell strand is gorgeous

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Uh, oh, I'm not enamored with my new black shell Leeds. They look institutional, as in worn by an asylum orderly. Is it an acquired taste or did you guys like yours from day 1?

I like mine a LOT... but pretty much only with denim, and any sleekness concerns are mitigated by the fact that a 14AA shoe is going to be long and slender regardless of last.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually avoid discussions of this sort on style/fashion threads but there seems to be a good deal of concern in regards to AE production of shoes in DR and perhaps rightfully so but the major issues seem to be about quality or whether or not we , the consumers, are are being " deceived" by AE .i belive the real concern is as to whether or not the same rights protections and fair share of the profits are being extended to the Dominican workers as to the American employees . This is the first question I ask when I decide how to spend my discretionary dollars and as hard as it might be to admit to oneself $300 shoes are a luxury ill afforded by a great deal of the worlds population . Ive been around here for very close to 70 yrs and if i know one thing its that if we dont start asking ourselves this question our kids are going to be lucky to be making shoes for less than a living wage .
Ive done my research and pretty sure i know how im going to deal with this info i would hope others do the same

Last edited:

jkater1

Reaction score

What cream issue?

Looking forward to your pics.

I was told that AE uses a lot of shoe cream on their shell so it can look dull sometimes. I just brushed them for a 5-10 mins and they look better already. Don't want to hit them up with reno in case I end up returning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads