• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

abeln2672

Reaction score
My RL Saunders chukkas were waiting for me at the door tonight. Ordered a 12d to see if they would work for my usually 13d or 12.5e feet (since nothing was available above a size 12). Length is great. Toebox is just about adequate, with maybe a tiny amount of pinching on my Pinky toe. I expect this to stretch a bit over time, since they're calf.

Gorgeous! Ugh...I am kick, kick, kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on the last pair of these in my size over the weekend! Congrats on your purchase...you made the right call. I'm a total newb to the world of AE shoes...does anyone know if/when we're likely to see prices on 2nds like we saw over the weekend? I'm in love with these Saunders!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kristle, the manager at the Jeffersonville, OH seconds store who started the "great Jeffersonville boot riot of '12", asked me to say that in addition to the flyer sales that:

LaSalle’s are also $134.50
And all golf shoes are $169
Park Avenues $219

If you don't have a regular SA I can not recommend her enough. You can call her at (740) 948 9033

My RL Saunders chukkas were waiting for me at the door tonight. Ordered a 12d to see if they would work for my usually 13d or 12.5e feet (since nothing was available above a size 12). Length is great. Toebox is just about adequate, with maybe a tiny amount of pinching on my Pinky toe. I expect this to stretch a bit over time, since they're calf.

I love those, very beautiful!! Turns out they also have suede and black but those are the first ones I would like to pick up and add to the Dundee collection. Very nice.

hhaa ya probably right, but considering i have walnut, bourbon, and cordovan brown for the strand, a 4th pair doesn't make that much sense. Having them for the sake of the rarity would be nice, but there is nothing i can't get away with having the walnut calf compared to the cordovan

Another pair will come along at some point
Those are some beautiful boots, and if they'd had them available in my size, I would have pounced like a lion on a zebra.

Basically, it would go something like this...

So, cross post as I figured here is a better place to vent. Another member was thinking of getting a pair of the Neumok custom ordered in green (which I didn't care for). But since they are on sale for $199 I figured I would play with some colors and see what I liked.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati_Custom+Shoes

Ended up putting together what I think would be a great summer shoe and I wanted to get your thoughts. In addition, the only pair of AE that I own are a pair of Lubbocks so I wanted to get an idea on how the Neumok fits and if I should stay with my regular size. Granted, they are only $200 but I don't exactly want to waste money either.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Here is my "creation" which I think would be great for a cruise or other casual type summer wear.

Enough boots already. My Carminas that I ordered in the fall still are not here. Time to think about summer shoes.
Depends on where you live and your style. I just made reservations for a sporting clays shoot in the Catskills in the middle of July. If I don't show up wearing boots I would be asked to turn in my man card and asked to shoot in a pink tutu. Depends on the style of boots too however....

The white is a ***** to keep clean, you end up dying them not polishing them. I like some saddle shoes and white linen contrast such as the strawfut and the BB I just got but IMO those shoes with a lot of white on them do look like golf shoes. I do like the solid Navy I worked up playing around but that is just me, YMMV and good luck. You have very good style although we disagree on shoes, take a deep breathe and take your time and get it right. As I'm sure you will.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I sold off my last pair of burgundy shell Mac Neils because they never fit right. Saved up and bought a pair of firsts. The new finish is WAY darker than it used to be, but I like it. Here are the shoes: Compared to an older pair of burgundy shell Leeds, they look like they're a whole different color of shell:
Those are really quite different. Here's a pic of the old ones for comparison, too. But I like your new ones a lot; maybe better:

Last edited:

SloopyNoob

Reaction score
Here are some quick snaps of my Tan Sandersons and Brown Slatons. I can't believe I got them for $130/pair. They are fantastic. Both are double-soled. I love the Sanderson, very handsome shoes. The Slatons are like the blucher version of the Fifth Ave but the cap toe is much better proportionalized. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchases.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some quick snaps of my Tan Sandersons and Brown Slatons. I can't believe I got them for $130/pair. They are fantastic. Both are double-soled. I love the Sanderson, very handsome shoes. The Slatons are like the blucher version of the Fifth Ave but the cap toe is much better proportionalized. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchases.

Very nice

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What model are these? Discontinued? I don't see anything similar on the website.

Those are Wolverine 1000 Miles 744 LTD's in Cigar shell, basically a heritage remake of the original W1K. They were made by AE as a limited run of 1000 for Leffot and Epaulet, but there were tons of seconds. As of a few weeks ago at least, there were still a bunch of pairs available in seconds quality for $399 (- $50 during that sale = $349) through the various AE outlets. I bought a pair, they are hands down an absolute steal for shell cordovan, and they've totally been hogging my feet ever since.

Beach Bum

Reaction score
Honest inquiry. Do people who swear by AEs and own several believe they are superior in looks and quality to other competing makers, particularly Euro makers?

Or is it the value, or Patriotism, or what? I have a nice Independence Rush loafer, the second AE I've owned.

And must say I much prefer Italian makers to these, and British shoes that I've tried. No comparison in my mind on looks.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honest inquiry. Do people who swear by AEs and own several believe they are superior in looks and quality to other competing makers, particularly Euro makers?

Or is it the value, or Patriotism, or what? I have a nice Independence Rush loafer, the second AE I've owned.

And must say I much prefer Italian makers to these, and British shoes that I've tried. No comparison in my mind on looks.

Competely depends. AE is what I would consider to generally be a mid range shoe manufacturer. I like them because I can get a good product at a fair price. There are some other manufacturers who offer a superior product, but the price goes up considerably in a lot of cases. Some European makers are indeed better than AE, but some aren't. AE fills a much needed niche in the shoe market and it is good for what it is. They will never be bespoke John Lobbs, but they aren't meant to be.

Also, on the question of looks, tastes are different in America than they are in Europe. AE is geared toward an American consumer. The silhouettes you'd see from European manufacturers aren't necessarily what will primarily be offered by AE, although there is some overlap.

Last edited:

kyle55

Reaction score
E are a great shoe for the price. Their shoes are handmade with high quality standards and their fit are superior. However there are nice shoes out there as in Italian made shoes usually have a much softer leather with a thinner leather or rubber sole on them. Europeans usually like the more "modern" look on shoes with a more slender look to them with or with out a small square toe. AE makes a higher end Italian line called Allen Edmonds Seven Collection. They are very high quality and can compare to my Antonio Maricie that look very similar and about the same comfert cost alot more then a frist quality AE. In this day and age you get what oyu pay for so all in all AE is a great shoe for the price. They also have great sales when you know what store to call at what date. Plus I you can't beat made in America either. I only wanted to add my opinion here as I do work for Allen Edmonds in the Leeds outlet store. Your Independence line are a great shoe with a gorgeous design on them. I really like the padded insoles that are made in that line.

CounselorStyle

Reaction score

I strongly prefer the look of most English-made shoes to AE. They look more elegant to my eye.

With that said, I own zero pairs of English shoes and five pairs of AEs. Why? Because when picked up at seconds sales, my AEs cost half of what a similar-quality English shoe would cost (for the really good sales, far less). With sales on firsts, more like two-thirds the price.

The difference in style isn't worth that much to me. It's good enough that I'm getting a very well-made product that looks far better than what 99% of men out there are wearing.

Last edited:

kentyman

Reaction score

I honestly can't get behind the standard chisel-toe look of most European shoes. While C&J has some stuff I'd really love to own, I don't think I could wear G&G shoes with a straight face.

archangle13

Reaction score
I honestly can't get behind the standard chisel-toe look of most European shoes. While C&J has some stuff I'd really love to own, I don't think I could wear G&G shoes with a straight face.

It really depends how much the toe chisel extends the length of the shoes. For this, the AE #5 last is ridiculous, and it isn't even chiseled.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
Not that I'm having a conversation with anyone but myself here...

But I'm thinking maybe less white is more.

I feel that maybe this looks less "golfy"

Any thoughts are appreciated:

Go with the one with more white. I ordered the same shoe with red instead of the blue (same sole). Same amount of white as yours with more white. Though I did add a white tongue. Really makes the laces pop. There isn't a doubt in my mind that these will be worn as a casual shoe. Chinos and jeans. The only suit I will wear mine with is my seersucker. This is not a dress shoe. Very fun though, and I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics