• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blsing

Reaction score
So I dont know if anyone else has had this problem, but I tried to post a review of one of their locations, which was less than positive. Basically, the SA was clueless, and tried stuffing my foot into shoes too small and too narrow. The store also had no lace-ups of any kind in my size (8.5 3E-pretty common). So my review was never posted, I tried again, still not posted. I e-mailed AE customer service twice about my experience, with no response. Normally I have positive experiences in their stores, but this is a smaller location, and had one SA on duty, with nothing in stock.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the same thing. If I can find the independence longwing at the Freeport outlet during one of the 15-25% sales, I'm all over it. Edward mentioned that he was ordering the Independence line for his outlet but I don't know how they'd be priced. I won't get up there until mid January.

Agreed. I was looking at the RL shell brown wingtips the other day and wishing AE had something comparable in calfskin. The Williams is nice, much better than the Macneil, but even at 25% off it is still in the $300's. I wonder why AE does not offer the Lombard or Players' shoe in a dark brown.

blsing

Reaction score
According to the SA it was, which I guess is an excuse of some sorts, but they had no laceups at all. From what Ive heard (circumstantial), AE has a nice amount of customers with wider feet, as a lot of other companies dont make wides.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that's particularly common.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to the SA it was, which I guess is an excuse of some sorts, but they had no laceups at all. From what Ive heard (circumstantial), AE has a nice amount of customers with wider feet, as a lot of other companies dont make wides.

Did the SA offer to order your size in the shoes so you can try them on before purchasing? Offer other options to allow you to purchase/try on the shoe you think you are interested in? If so, I would not think this is worthy of a complaint. If my size was 8.5EEE, I'd be shocked if the store had my size in the same day I walked in. As an example, Brooks Brothers never has my size in stock for the jacket/suit I'm looking at, but they're always very accommodating in ordering things for me to try on before purchasing or having them shipped to me at home for free. That's good customer service. Bad customer service is when the SA just shrugs his shoulders, says they don't have your size and turns to go help someone else.

viator

Reaction score

This kind of information is much appreciated, and I for one welcome it on this thread.
Having said that - seems very odd. Why would AE do it that way? If they can't recraft properly, then they should say so upfront. It's amazing that a company that prides itself on workmanship would even consider a shoddy glue job like this.

To be fair, in consultation with Nick, it looked like they removed the worn out original leather sole, stitched (?) a thin midsole to the original welt, and then glued the rubber on top of that. I'll also note that their rubber seems softer than Dainite, but I won't coplain about that since I knew going in that they weren't using the name brand product.

Definitely appreciated-have you contacted AE? Specifically, try mentioning the details about the lack of stitching. 

I suppose I could do that, but if they're not geared up to do the job right, I'm not sure what the remedy would be here. It's not such a big deal, and I hate to rake AE, a company that does stand behind its products with great customer service, over the coals on this. Maybe I should post photos when I get them back from Nick to see what the group thinks.

Last edited:

blsing

Reaction score
Did the SA offer to order your size in the shoes so you can try them on before purchasing? Offer other options to allow you to purchase/try on the shoe you think you are interested in? If so, I would not think this is worthy of a complaint. If my size was 8.5EEE, I'd be shocked if the store had my size in the same day I walked in. As an example, Brooks Brothers never has my size in stock for the jacket/suit I'm looking at, but they're always very accommodating in ordering things for me to try on before purchasing or having them shipped to me at home for free. That's good customer service. Bad customer service is when the SA just shrugs his shoulders, says they don't have your size and turns to go help someone else.

She did, but I had taken off from work to go there,and figured that a dedicated AE store would have some sort of laceups in my size. Nordstrom always did and their selection is much smaller. I mentioned this to Edward from the Freeport Outlet just to see if my size is rare, and he was shocked, said that its a very common size, and that on principle, their dedicated firsts stores should have a number of models in that size. Edward said they are instructed to always have some available. She also did not seem knowledgeable about anything, such as that if I measure an 8.5 3E, she could try all she wants, but she wasnt going to jam it into an 8 E (which she tried).

Nordstrom stocks 3E on their website, so I assumed it was a fairly common size, as well. Look at the Player shoe there, for instance.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-e...70711?origin=PredictiveSearch&resultback=1400
The vast majority of AE shoes come in 3E.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

She did, but I had taken off from work to go there,and figured that a dedicated AE store would have some sort of laceups in my size.  Nordstrom always did and their selection is much smaller.  I mentioned this to Edward from the Freeport Outlet just to see if my size is rare, and he was shocked, said that its a very common size, and that on principle, their dedicated firsts stores should have a number of models in that size. Edward said they are instructed to always have some available.  She also did not seem knowledgeable about anything, such as that if I measure an 8.5 3E, she could try all she wants, but she wasnt going to jam it into an 8 E (which she tried). 

The vast majority of AE shoes come in 3E. 

I went to the AE store in San Francisco over my lunch break two years ago. They had no lace ups in size 7.5D. I was surprised.

blsing

Reaction score
I went to the AE store in San Francisco over my lunch break two years ago. They had no lace ups in size 7.5D. I was surprised.

So I actually just checked again today, and my review was posted. I should be clear that what bothered me was more that they screened out my review from the website (happened over 2 months ago). It had the generic response from AE saying they were sorry for my experience and they would contact me, but that was dated over two weeks ago. Any idea when and if I can really expect to hear from them?

REguy

Reaction score
^ You won't. They put the same response to one of my reviews months ago. I'm still waiting.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Also, I've noticed that AE takes a good while to post reviews on the site - positive or negative. I will say, though that every experience I've had with AE has been overwhelmingly positive. Even when a shoe didn't work with me, they were very accommodating.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, I've noticed that AE takes a good while to post reviews on the site - positive or negative.  I will say, though that every experience I've had with AE has been overwhelmingly positive.  Even when a shoe didn't work with me, they were very accommodating.  

Me too. The San Francisco store even recently let me return a pair of shoes I bought a year ago (but never wore). Even though this pair is now on clearance, I got the full price I paid for them back towards a different pair of shoes I wanted. Great customer service. They even reply to emails sent to the store email address like within the hour in my experience.

rmspawn

Reaction score
My Walnut Cordovan Daltons just shipped. Should be here Friday!

I also received a shipping confirmation for my walnut shell strands. The funny thing is that it appears they've been shipped "next day" delivery. If this is true, I should receive the shoes tomorrow. :D

I won't get my hopes up though.

So my shoes were scheduled to be delivered today, but it turns out that UPS forgot my package at one of their shipping facilities and will not deliver the package until tomorrow. Sadly, this is a regular occurrence with UPS. I am still, however, completely satisfied with the customer service I receive from Keven and the entire team at the AE store in San Francisco (Union Square).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads