• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucksfan

Reaction score
I hear the current sale ends 11/28... so new sale 11/29... I also hear it will be

2/$300:

Delray
black, chili

Strand
walnut

Boston
Black

New Orleans
walnut

LaSalle
black, chili

Maxfield
chili

Clifton
black, walnut

Randolph
black

Firenze
black, brown

Fifth Avenue
black, brown, walnut

Last edited:

Giddyup

Reaction score
I contemplated waiting on that sale to order my Fifth Streets and Daltons but I see neither are included. Glad I called the Ohio and Maine outlets up. Again, I can't say how good of service I received was. Unparalleled.

Bateman87

Reaction score
I hear the current sale ends 11/28... so new sale 11/29... I also hear it will be

2/$300:

Delray
black, chili

Strand
walnut

Boston
Black

New Orleans
walnut

LaSalle
black, chili

Maxfield
chili

Clifton
black, walnut

Randolph
black

Firenze
black, brown

Fifth Avenue
black, brown, walnut

I'd get the Strands in Walnut and Fifth Aves in Black, but I don't have any use for Oxfords at the moment..

Amazon has 30% off orders of $75+ now.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear the current sale ends 11/28... so new sale 11/29...  I also hear it will be

2/$300:

Code:
Delray
black, chili

Strand
walnut

Boston 
Black 

New Orleans
walnut

LaSalle
black, chili

Maxfield
chili

Clifton
black, walnut

Randolph 
black

Firenze 
black, brown

Fifth Avenue
black, brown, walnut

Clifton is an awesome shoe. Why don't they show it on their site anymore? I have it in brown. I bet it looks great in walnut.

Anyone seen the distressed leather MacNeils in person? I like the color with the natural welt/sole, and they are on sale for $249. But the "distressing" scares me..

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard really bad things about the Norwich and the Boston (both monk straps) I'm sorry you are having this experience. My first few wears with the Van Ness were very disappointing but they seem to have broken in nicely.
p.s. I would call them immediately and explain this issue, their customer service is unparraled.

Maybe I should. The lady I dealt with in Boston is a wench. She got pissed at me for having so many issues with sizing and fit. There's no way in hell she would welcome me in open arms were I to go back in and ask for another replacement.

Even after my third replacement, I literally wore 6 combos of different sizes and widths before I walked out with my current pair. I made sure to walk around in them in my house before wearing them out. Was fine.

Nothing like wearing them out in the field for a couple of hours, only to have more blisters develop in new areas. Can't believe the inconsistency in quality control for this model. Absolutely unacceptable.

:facepalm:

I gave up on these.
I generally ask them men what their suggestions are as they can have first hand experience with the shoes. No offense to the women, but AE is a mens shoe company and in order to provide the best suggestions/recommendations one must actually wear the product... It's quit difficult for a women to tell you something when she has never worn (at least I hope) the shoes.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard really bad things about the Norwich and the Boston (both monk straps) I'm sorry you are having this experience. My first few wears with the Van Ness were very disappointing but they seem to have broken in nicely.
p.s. I would call them immediately and explain this issue, their customer service is unparraled.

As much as I want a monk strap, I just couldn't find a combo in the Norwich or Boston that fit well. I'm seriously considering the Sid Mashburn double monk which is an Alfred Sargent Ramsey. They look amazing.
Sids are brilliant. I was there a few weeks ago and really liked them but they are out of my price range. Good luck

blsing

Reaction score

2/$300:

Delray
black, chili

Strand
walnut

Boston
Black

New Orleans
walnut

LaSalle
black, chili

Maxfield
chili

Clifton
black, walnut

Randolph
black

Firenze
black, brown

Fifth Avenue
black, brown, walnut

That seems like a pretty insane deal on the classics like the Strand and Fifth Ave. Does anyone know if sizes are severly limited? When does this sale run until?

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Future first time AE buyer so need some answers gentlemen please:

1. I went to the retail store today to try on AE shoes to find out my size. The only brogue they had were the Elgins but they didn't have any sizes close to my size in that. So I told the sales associate to just let me try a 10.5 in any other model of AE. So I did that and the EEE fit perfectly. I was wearing black running socks and there was still enough room in the front in the 10.5 EEE. I'm kind of confused now though if I should go with 10 or 10.5 now? Do they stretch out in the future? Should your foot be sliding a bit in the shoe or should it be fitted firmly?

2. Are all the models the same in terms of size? If you are a 10 in one of AE shoes you're a 10 in another AE model?

3. I dont have any dress slacks. Will be wearing with jeans and chinos and probably wool trousers in the future. Is the Strand a good fit for me? Will it work with jeans? Or should I go with the Elgin?

Thank you SO much in advance guys!

Last edited:

rostov

Reaction score
Clarksdb,

AE has a number of lasts, each will fit your foot a little differently. From experience, the shoes will stretch a bit and the insole will mold to your foot; However, the edges of the insole, being welted, will not. The shoes should be a little snug when new, but your heel should not be pressed against the shoe. Neither, however, should your heel slip out when you walk. In theory, I believe each shoe from the same last should fit the same, although I find the Park Avenue to run smaller than the Strand.

I wear my black Strands with jeans and slacks, but I feel they are a bit too dressy at times. I wish I had bought them in walnut.

Being on the verge of 4E, I have had the trouble of facing heel slip or minor insole-edge toughness from one half-step to another. My third pair, arriving next week will be 10.5eee should eliminate that edge soreness, but a boot, which will hopefully help with the slippage.

Claus

Reaction score

In theory, I believe each shoe from the same last should fit the same, although I find the Park Avenue to run smaller than the Strand.

Allen Edmonds seems to be slightly less able than other makers to provide a consistent fit for a given last-width-size combination. There's also the possibility of human error (mislabeling, etc.), of course. Also, feet change during the years, so a new pair might not feel the same as an old pair.

If one couldn't make shoe on the same last fit identical, however, bespoke shoes would be a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads