• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just contacted the ShoeBank, and they don't carry factory-second Swims overshoes.
confused.gif

Has anyone seen the Swims Mobster boot overshoes lower than $149 on the AE website?

I picked up these from a an additional 40% off last fall. They are awesome!

Perfect for shell boots (and shoes) in the winter. With the additional 40% off I got these for $53. Well worth it!
nod[1].gif

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perfect for shell boots (and shoes) in the winter. With the additional 40% off I got these for $53. Well worth it!
nod%5B1%5D.gif
From whence? I'm thinking these are what I need. I've just about beat my Long Branches to Hell over the past two weeks.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @tradbrah , @LordRasta and @Neo1 on the Cavanaugh fit comments. Sounds like a tough call with loafers in general. I couldn't get a foot in a 9.5D Randolph, but my heel would slip with a 10D. However a tongue pad did make the fit lengthwise perfect. No slip at all. It's just that the toe area is a bit tight. Definitely not as comfortable as my 65 last models.

Oh well, the Cavanaugh may be off the list anyway. When I showed my better half these and the Gobi I went to look at, she said "I don't like that material." Rut roh!

I can't help but be a broken record on this - you should take a look at the Italian collection too. The Firenze, Positano/Brindisi, Verona, they are definitely worth considering. There are much better options than the Cavanaugh....

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't help but be a broken record on this - you should take a look at the Italian collection too. The Firenze, Positano/Brindisi, Verona, they are definitely worth considering. There are much better options than the Cavanaugh....

BTW - if you wind up getting the Dundee, you should have your SA yell out - I'm not gonna marry Richard. See? Much funnier than that whole clown crap.

N8ter

Reaction score
J crew and brooks brothers also carry swims and they sometimes go on sale. Look into tingleys also. Same function, much lower price.
Edit: If you have BB corp membership you can most likely get a pair of swims for 30% when they run a corp sale.
I agree with the Tingley recommendation 100%. I got some for about $20 on Amazon vs. the $95 AE wants for a pair of swims, plus they cover more of your shoe. Have worn them in some nasty stuff and haven't had any problems.

BoxSRS60

Reaction score
Two comments -
1. Going by memory (been a while), from trying the Rye I think I took the same size as in the 65. The 2592 was like the 114, except the 114 was too short in length, while the 2592 had like a drop of extra room that it just put it to the point where the length would work. I would not call it narrower than the 65 by any means, I would probably say wider.

2. Get those vibrams into the picture front and center - they are the most comfortable shoes ever made.
Thanks for the info. I LOVE my vibrams. They are the most comfy shoes ever. I've got several pairs.

Ha....Hey @BoxSRS60 don't let these guys get to you! I am a known two tone shoe whore....AE Broadstreets are among my favorites and I have the AE Heritage converted to regular shoe..plus a terrible venture into a MTO with a red and tan AE...that I had to re-color...LOL I have the Blue Rush St, Blue Neumok, and Olive Nuemok.....

Actually one of my next purchase may be finally breaking down and getting an Alden Longwing shoe in two tone brown leather...
Absolutely not. I like simple and plain, but I also like two and three tone stuff if it's well done. I'm not dead yet.

I bought a Fastball from the Shoebank over the summer for my dad. He said he wore a 10, so I got a 10D. When I (and the shoes) got there, it was apparent his foot was much wider. But I wear a 10D also in the 65 last, so I thought I might keep them. Length was OK, but even though I like a snugger fit, I would have gone up in width to E on the 2592 last. There just wasn't much room there.
Thanks, I ran by one of the stores today and tried on a pair of shoes made on the 2592 last. They were definitely a bit tight feeling. I'm going to go with an E instead of a D. For me the 65 is ok in a D (but an E might be ok too), but for a 2592, I think I'm going to have to have an E.

Thanks

LEgoiste

Reaction score
Quote:

nod[1].gif

Quote:
Thank you all for your input. The Swims look great @ReppTiePrepster. I will settle for the Tingley overshoes for now, which doesn't look bad at all and are currently $30 on Amazon. I wish I have asked for advise before this horrible winter!
cold[1].gif

Last edited:

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
They are awesome!

nod%5B1%5D.gif
How did you size them? I know they have a chart, but have seen mixed reviews on the sizing. I would certainly be interested in getting some. Thanks for the info.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

Opinions on how Mora 2.0's run? I'm a 7.5 D in Mctavish's, an 8 D in Cliftons and my Dalton's that are an 8 D are slightly snug (an 8 E would be perfect I presume).

I've read that just because one shoe is on the same last as another doesn't mean the sizing will be the same....

Struggling with this right now; I have really developed a liking for the Mora, but can't get it to fit. 11.5 D is too big by far, 11D is good in length and feels ok at first, but after I have them on my feet for a few minutes (test wearing around the house) I can tell they won't be comfortable. My feet aren't compatible with the shape I guess. The toes of the Mora taper in where me feet are broadening out! Don't think 11E would work either, since on the D widths I have to fasten the buckles on the last hole to be snug enough; for reference I have Strands, PA, Universities all in 11.5 D and a Cambridge shell in 11E that all fit well.

Last edited:

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy McAllisters today. My wife gave these to me the first Christmas we were married - 25 years ago.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads