• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpag

Reaction score
I'm really itching to buy the McGegors in chili. Waiting to go see the color in person, though. Is the new Bob's Chili the same color as the old chili?

Might also have to finally pick up some Strands in walnut.

Skatenc123

Reaction score

Not sure if this the right thread to ask this question; but have any of you ever had to remove the dressing off of the heel? On some of my shoes, the edge dressing has built up to the point where it will peel/flake off in parts. Simply covering it with more dressing doesn't really work so I was thinking it would be better if I could just remove it all together and start from scratch. I can peel some of it off with my fingers but that's super tedious. I think I read people on here using sandpaper or something like that?

Thanks

I would try fingernail polish REMOVER and a old shirt first. Worked pretty well for me. Just damp the shirt and run back and forth. Keep switchin spot on shirt when it gets black.

Last edited:

joeisuzu

Reaction score

Attention anyone who owns the Long Branch in dark brown grain:

How do you care for them?  I've read just a little leather lotion +/- cleaner conditioner or saddle soap.  My pair has kind of a flat dull brown color, which I kind of expected from that kind of boot . . . however, in looking online at pictures of other people's LBs, I've noticed some amazing looks.

I don't have any pics handy (oversight I know) but mine carry a great shine with nothing more than the AE dark brown polish in the tube and regular brushing. They are the older style and it took several polishings to get the effect. They are still different colors left and right though.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own the Gobi in snuff yet? If so could you post some "real life" pics? Thoughts on the quality of construction? I'm tempted and see that there are loads available as 2nds.

I thought it was nice in the store and being that firsts are $249 and Seconds are $198 I would opt for the firsts this way you do not have to worry about size etc as returns would be free. Also considering they have no last info on the site.

facet

Reaction score

Tape off welt edge then sand paper from rough grit to fine grit. Dont have the grit numbers off top of my head.

I would try fingernail polish and a old shirt first. Worked pretty well for me. Just damp the shirt and run back and forth. Keep switchin spot on shirt when it gets black.
I'm assuming you mean nail polish remover? Thanks, I'll give that a try first and, if that doesn't work, I'll go to kahuna's suggestion.

Thanks guys

Skatenc123

Reaction score
I'm assuming you mean nail polish remover? Thanks, I'll give that a try first and, if that doesn't work, I'll go to kahuna's suggestion.

Thanks guys
yep sorry. added i to original post. it really does work pretty well I've used it on a few pairs of Aldens.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any pics handy (oversight I know) but mine carry a great shine with nothing more than the AE dark brown polish in the tube and regular brushing. They are the older style and it took several polishings to get the effect. They are still different colors left and right though.

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the input. I can't figure out why they made any changes to the Long Branch, it was great as is.

I've considered using some dark brown premium polish, but always hesitate. I worry it will result in some strange coloration or further dulling of the color for some reason.

If you get around to finding some pics, I'd love to see!

velorix

Reaction score
I'm eyeing McGregor wingtips in dark brown but I can't decide if I like them from the limited amount of images available. Does anyone have any photos of this shoe? Thanks in advance.

rostov

Reaction score
I'm really itching to buy the McGegors in chili. Waiting to go see the color in person, though. Is the new Bob's Chili the same color as the old chili?

It's a darker, almost burnished chili. IMHO, it's the color to buy for the McGregor.

I thought it was nice in the store and being that firsts are $249 and Seconds are $198 I would opt for the firsts this way you do not have to worry about size etc as returns would be free. Also considering they have no last info on the site.

The last is the same as the Mojave boot which AE customer service reports is:

"made on our new 809-Last which is closer to the 1-Last (511) from the ball of the foot to the heel; however, it is very broad and rounded in the toe area." - link

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buried deep within the bowels of the AE site is their shoe care guide. The official edge dressing for the snuff suede Neumok is "Natural." However, they don't seem to stock that. Suggestions?

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a story of how a single shoe purchase can spiral into multiple purchases. Also shows how great AE customer service is. On the downside it also shows the QA/QC issues that AE is facing - especially with one off MTOs - thus leading to scrapping the program.

Late last year I bought my first pair of shell cordovan shoes during the webgem run of the brown shell cordovan jefferson and it was priced at $550. Because of some blemish on the quarters combined with stitching and pinking issues, I decided to return the shoe but was offered to keep it at seconds priced at $400. I went for it and the balance was given as $150 GC instead of a refund.

Here are my she'll Jeffersons
dugu7egy.jpg

This year during the sale in March, I did an MTO for a chili Lexington. The shoe retails for $385 but because of the sale it was available for $225. However when I received it, instead of chili grain they had used a heather tan grain cowhide instead. Again instead of returning it they offered the shoe to me as seconds for $125 which I went for. I received a $100 refund.

Here are my Lexingtons
3e6u5evu.jpg

They allowed me to make a remake for any model that was on sale that time, so I decided to get a russet brown dublin Clark St which retails for $295 but Allison honored the sale price of $249. I used my $150 GC I received from the Jefferson shell deal and only had to shell out $99. However when I received it they had used the incorrect slip bead and instead of returning it, they offered the shoe to me as seconds for $129. I received a $120 GC instead of a refund.

Here is my russet brown Clark st
garu4u2y.jpg

I combined the $120 with a $35 recraft GC to get a walnut burnished MacGregor, which retails at $385 but is now available at $259. I had to pay a balance of $95. I'll update the post with a picture of the MacGregor when I get it. I just saw the shipping invoice in my inbox this morning.

Long story short, I paid $877 for shoes with a full retail price of $1615 combined. Such a good deal even though I ended up with 2 shoes that wasn’t as per my original spec.

On the other hand, what was originally a purchase of a shell webgem and an MTO has spiraled into 4 shoes. Not sure how much profit AE earned from these transactions, if any, but it was definitely more than what I initially planned for. In a weird way, the defective shoes I received made me buy more shoes!

Last edited:

Skatenc123

Reaction score

Buried deep within the bowels of the AE site is their shoe care guide. The official edge dressing for the snuff suede Neumok is "Natural." However, they don't seem to stock that. Suggestions?

Allen Edmonds recommends Neutral heel edge dressing.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, how is the fit on the 7-last in comparison to the 5-last? Is it roomier? Would you recommend going up or down in width from the 5-last to the 7-last? I'm a 9.5E (wide) in the Park Avenue, Strand, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads