• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jch1

Reaction score
I posted all shoes and prices for the upcoming rediscover america sale several pages back.

drbhrb

Reaction score

Looking for thoughts, impressions, and experience with the Norwich (single monk), especially brown shell.

I just bought a pair in brown cordovan a month ago. They are fantastic. Great fit and style. The nearly whole cut design of the Norwich really shows off the cordovan.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe I've decided on my shell cordovan MTO......thoughts?  Opinions?

Cappuccino cordovan MacNeil
Double butyl sole
Split reverse welt
Light brown transparent for sole edge dressing (think about what the Neumok welt/sole looks like).

So, basically, take a cappuccino MacNeil and put it on the sole/welt of a Neumok.  I'm aiming for a more casual shoe, hence the lighter sole/welt. 

Sounds gorgeous. My order is not far off from that.

Cappuccino Leeds, split reverse, chili edge trim and double butyl. I'm hoping it doesn't take the 6-8 week estimate. My order went in the beginning of Sept.

cincikid

Reaction score

Cappuccino Leeds, split reverse, chili edge trim and double butyl. I'm hoping it doesn't take the 6-8 week estimate. My order went in the beginning of Sept.

Patrick, would you mind posting pictures of your Leeds once you get them? I am thinking of the Cappuccino Leeds as well, but will be curious to see yours first. Sadly, AE might be out of cappuccino shell by then...

SBear

Reaction score
I just bought a pair in brown cordovan a month ago. They are fantastic. Great fit and style. The nearly whole cut design of the Norwich really shows off the cordovan.

Pics? I see you had a heel tap problem...fixed? Are your initial concerns of the elastic at the strap resolved?

Unregistered

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion on how the Mora 2.0 fits compared to something on the 5 last? I have a pair of 8D Fifth Aves that are very snug width and volume wise - not enough to make me not wear them, but enough to ensure I'd want something a little bigger for my next pair!

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Based off of my last few MTO's I would not be surprised if it is close to 10-12 weeks...

spitshine123

Reaction score
Rl sandersons in brown today!

3u9ydede.jpg

cincikid

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that the lining could be changed....good to know, even though I'm not sure if I'll opt for another color.

As far as sole edge colors go, my impression is that natural is the lightest, followed by light brown transparent, followed by chili.....right?

Any reason why you went with one over the other?

And did you go with a wheeled edge?

So I asked Allison about the JR vs. butyl and here's what she said:

The JR Rendendbach outsole is made with a higher grade leather, it’s a little more “heavy duty”. The Double Butyl is our standard double oak leather outsole used on our Calf version of the Leeds, impregnated with oils to help repel moisture. I would not say one is superior to other, it’s based on how you will be wearing the footwear, and person preference. I feel if you are going to invest in the upper being shell cordovan, you are better off going with the Rendenbach outsole.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Oh I wouldn't call that the dark #8. It's not as light as it sometimes is, but my wallet and watch strap are both much, much, much darker than that, much closer to the #8 pictures AE has on their website. My 721s are more like the picture you sent. Though, they've gotten a bit darker over the past year, from sunlight I suppose. Anyway, that is a gorgeous color of #8, I hope my MacNeils are like that.

Thanks - I like they way they turned out too, but they are certainly darker than my older AE burgundy shell:

Good luck with yours! If they arrive darker than you would like, do some damp cloth + brushing...

Last edited:

ryansto

Reaction score

Does anyone have an opinion on how the Mora 2.0 fits compared to something on the 5 last? I have a pair of 8D Fifth Aves that are very snug width and volume wise - not enough to make me not wear them, but enough to ensure I'd want something a little bigger for my next pair!

mora 2.0 is on the 108 last: most people are familiar with this last on the Delray. It is a fuller fit than the 5 last that your Fifth Aves are on, and just a bit shorter.

bucksfan

Reaction score
So I asked Allison about the JR vs. butyl and here's what she said:

The JR Rendendbach outsole is made with a higher grade leather, it’s a little more “heavy duty”. The Double Butyl is our standard double oak leather outsole used on our Calf version of the Leeds, impregnated with oils to help repel moisture. I would not say one is superior to other, it’s based on how you will be wearing the footwear, and person preference. I feel if you are going to invest in the upper being shell cordovan, you are better off going with the Rendenbach outsole.

Thanks for the research, and I agree with her. I always go with JR if I can.

drbhrb

Reaction score
Pics? I see you had a heel tap problem...fixed? Are your initial concerns of the elastic at the strap resolved?

I emailed AE and they immediately provided a UPS shipping label to have it fixed. I didn't have a box to ship it in so I kept putting it off until I decided to just have a cobbler glue it on for a few bucks. The heel tap kind of caught on my desk chair and it came off. I was a little miffed as it didn't take very much force for it to come off. However, I wouldn't let that deter you from getting them. I'm picking it up from the cobbler tomorrow so I could take pictures then.

As far as the strap goes it just seemed like a weird thing for elastic to be part of a cordovan shoe. Some people on here explained they had durability issues with the noriwch when they were using fully leather straps. The elastic fixed that. I emailed AE and they confirmed the elastic can be replaced during recrafting so I'm not worried.

Basically, if you are looking for a shell monk strap the Norwich is a great choice. I'm very happy all things considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members