• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Both are "old" - the Macneils are 3 years old this month, the Leeds are about 9 months old - but definitely the old version of burgundy. Just differences from shoe to shoe. AE's new burgundy is much darker - not quite as dark as Alden's eggplant #8, but definitely dark burgundy. Plus, you're seeing differences in lighting... outside vs. inside.

Last edited:

jch1

Reaction score
Called the Jeffersonville outlet this morning. Got players in dark chocolate suede and McGraws in burgundy cordovan for $250. Nice.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received some more seconds. About my 8th pair of seconds, never had problems previously and defects were minor.

However, this time one of the shoes has a massive defect (the entire vamp has large rolls/folds). I was wondering if anyone has tried exchanging seconds or if this is even possible? Thanks.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of this, is it a contradiction to get loafers in Cordovan?

Sounds like it is only a contradiction to you. I wear my loafers all year round. Just got a pair of "new to me" Kenwoods in burgundy shell off the 'bay.

The Allen Edmonds store in Jefferson offers Cordovan Cambridge & Park Avenues in Burgundy for $360 pre-tax after the 20% discount.
What do you guys think?

As others have mentioned, they have been cheaper in the past, but not sure when the next time that will roll around. If you have been eyeing those I would probably jump on them.

^^ seconded, great price.  Also, I stopped in the Jeffersonville store yesterday to get some golf shoes... and if anyone is a size 9D, you'll want to know that they have a pair of burgundy shell Cambridges, as well as a cappuccino shell McAllisters in the store.  Jump on them!  

P.S. Walnut shell Daltons today, plus burgundy shell Macneils and burgundy shell Leeds from earlier this week:
Do you know if the McAllisters are going for $399 plus the 20% discount?

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they were seconds, but didn't look at them that closely. I'd give them a call.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
Walnut grain MacNeil today.

dcinitial

Reaction score
Called the Jeffersonville outlet this morning. Got players in dark chocolate suede and McGraws in burgundy cordovan for $250. Nice.
Whoa are they still honoring that deal? How'd you get them to include McGraw in shell?

And the shell offerings were 30% off during Black Friday 2012. But if you can't wait, get'em!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trying to strip my Strands down using Lexol cleaner.  So far this is as far as I've gotten.  They need some serious elbow grease.  Is Renomat significantly easier to use?  I'll take anything to make the job easier at this point.

Renomat is by far the better product. I tried to strip the wax off of a pair of walnut westchesters, first with Lexol. As you said, it takes way too much pressure and a ton of product. Mine subsequently ended up looking like yours. I suppose that adding cream polish could bring some color back but I never got that far (shoes don't fit well).

A similar attempt on the Kenilworth with Renomat removed virtually all the wax using a tenth the amount of product and effort...all with no change to the shoe's color. Since stripping wax is done so infrequently, a bottle will last me a lifetime. It's well worth the cost IMO.

If you PM me your mailing address, I'll mail you enough to do a couple pairs of shoes to give it a try.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the same answer yesterday in my inquiry - but it may have been the same SA :)

Hmmm do you think?! ;-)

^^ seconded, great price. Also, I stopped in the Jeffersonville store yesterday to get some golf shoes... and if anyone is a size 9D, you'll want to know that they have a pair of burgundy shell Cambridges, as well as a cappuccino shell McAllisters in the store. Jump on them!

P.S. Walnut shell Daltons today, plus burgundy shell Macneils and burgundy shell Leeds from earlier this week:

I really have missed your pictures of shell on here. My wallet, not so much LOL. MacktasticGDogg put me over the edge when he posted his Patriot loafers in brown shell the other day. My first thought was that loafers don't work for me and then I recalled someone named bucksfan telling me to "Try it again!" when it came to loafers. Will see soon and hope that they do work this time.

I still don't own a pair of LWB and they are on the short list. Had my eye on some cigar shell and hoping for AE to release a LWB in brown or truffle shell. But looking at your Macneil's realized I am already a bit brown heavy and there really is nothing wrong with the Macneil in #8, and it is actually more versatile. As always, great pictures bucksfan.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Best I've seen the cordovan seconds on sale (besides this crazy Patriot thing) was $299 a couple years ago. Thing with shell is that they don't come around often as seconds, especially in a particular size. So I'd grab those at that price!

I bought my burgundy shell Leeds last year for $299. It took two pair to get a good one but they've been great for a year now. I picked up some 1st quality burgundy shell Macneils on sale as well around the same time. I think they were $100 off the $575 MSRP. I do prefer the new burgundy but I can't complain. They are a true, traditional burgundy color.

I just came across all the posts about the shell Patriot. Looks like I'm late to the party. I'm envious of you guys that got in on them. If anyone has a fit issue with an 11D, please let me know :) The brown is gorgeous! Are they unlined?

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my burgundy shell Leeds last year for $299. It took two pair to get a good one but they've been great for a year now. I picked up some 1st quality burgundy shell Macneils on sale as well around the same time. I think they were $100 off the $575 MSRP. I do prefer the new burgundy but I can't complain. They are a true, traditional burgundy color.

I just came across all the posts about the shell Patriot. Looks like I'm late to the party. I'm envious of you guys that got in on them. If anyone has a fit issue with an 11D, please let me know
smile.gif
The brown is gorgeous! Are they unlined?

They were only in the 9D sample size so you didn't miss out.

Just got mine a few minutes ago! Will post pics when I get home from errands that I had been avoiding.

colgate.gif

stgrim

Reaction score
Whoa are they still honoring that deal? How'd you get them to include McGraw in shell?

And the shell offerings were 30% off during Black Friday 2012. But if you can't wait, get'em!

I just ordered a Cambridge Burgundy Cordovan for $360 and a McGraw Burgundy Cordovan + Park Aves in Walnut grain, 2 for $250.
Thank you thank you thank you to all those in thread who were generous enough to post all the deals!

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bucksfan,
awesome photos. Can you comment on the walnut daltons a bit more? I'm considering a pair, but in that photo they look like alden whiskey, which I do not need more of.
Also, can you share your impressions about the boots in general? (do you like them, etc)

thanks!

Al in Philly

Reaction score
Renomat is by far the better product. I tried to strip the wax off of a pair of walnut westchesters, first with Lexol. As you said, it takes way too much pressure and a ton of product. Mine subsequently ended up looking like yours. I suppose that adding cream polish could bring some color back but I never got that far (shoes don't fit well).

A similar attempt on the Kenilworth with Renomat removed virtually all the wax using a tenth the amount of product and effort...all with no change to the shoe's color. Since stripping wax is done so infrequently, a bottle will last me a lifetime. It's well worth the cost IMO.

If you PM me your mailing address, I'll mail you enough to do a couple pairs of shoes to give it a try.
I truly appreciate the offer, but there is a cobbler right near my house that sells Saphir products. I will pick up Renomat today after work.

The color of the stripped area in the photo looks lighter because the wax darkened the leather significantly. I'm not worried about the color change.

dcinitial

Reaction score
I just ordered a Cambridge Burgundy Cordovan for $360 and a McGraw Burgundy Cordovan + Park Aves in Walnut grain, 2 for $250.
Thank you thank you thank you to all those in thread who were generous enough to post all the deals!
Just tried to see if they had a 10.5 E in burgundy shell and no cigar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members