• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s great to hear! I’m excited to hear you moving towards retirement. You’re not heading out to retirement capital #2 are you (Phoenix area)? I just moved this month and there’s a lot of happily retired folks around!

Not a true retirement, launching a small company in a new industry (for me) I've had some luck with.
Planning to work less + smarter. :)

We have not chosen anywhere to move yet.
Nice to have choices, many friends in Phoenix could happen.

pbrandes

Reaction score
Another day, another Choose-Your-Colors sneaker delivery...

IMG_5871.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just noting: Though I'd probably pass, the fact that orange/blue wasn't an offered colourway means I can't go to the Illini game tomorrow with shoes in my team colours.

Neither can Mets fans (God save their souls) when the Mets are going to the playoffs.

Or Broncos fans...

Or Bears fans...

pbrandes

Reaction score
Just noting: Though I'd probably pass, the fact that orange/blue wasn't an offered colourway means I can't go to the Illini game tomorrow with shoes in my team colours.

Neither can Mets fans (God save their souls) when the Mets are going to the playoffs.

Or Broncos fans...

Or Bears fans...

The color combo options were definitely more limited than the old March Madness specials, but then again this was the first time under Caleres mgmt that they've offered this level of customization. I hope they do well enough with it to offer something similar again with even more options.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Another rainy day in the desert and wore something a little different today. These type of days remind me of when I moved here years ago, leaving the airport and my oldest daughter, who was three at that time, asked how this was a desert and it did nothing but rain the entire first week here!
6594D39C-5D1F-401C-BBB0-6A39E4AC7D8E.jpeg

86D30539-DF20-4D03-B9A3-3457C5EEB4E9.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color combo options were definitely more limited than the old March Madness specials, but then again this was the first time under Caleres mgmt that they've offered this level of customization. I hope they do well enough with it to offer something similar again with even more options.

It's weird because that one colour combination works for so many teams. I forgot the NY Knicks, too.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like AE has missed the boat with this Awesome color of suede. It is not a punch in the face type of burgundy. Very subtle. I would love to see this style with a smooth calf strap. I really think this shoe can play off of a brown strap successfully.
A2AA1C3E-6AC4-412B-8209-35DA0B35B27D.jpeg

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like AE has missed the boat with this Awesome color of suede. It is not a punch in the face type of burgundy. Very subtle. I would love to see this style with a smooth calf strap. I really think this shoe can play off of a brown strap successfully.
View attachment 1834953
Saw it in person last week. Color is gorgeous.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think that AE will need to walk that tightrope of a larger company that can offer enough customized products to keep the old customers engaged while attracting loyal younger customers. Let’s face it AE is not even that large of a company, they are definitely in that strange position.

HCapLonghorn

Reaction score
I've seen a few folks chewing on a 5th Street purchase as well. Had the option been for Hamiltons instead, or even the ability to switch to a reverse welt on the 5th, I'd be debating how many colors (other than marbled chili!) I'd be choosing rather than if I will pick one up at all.

My wardrobe needs have slid so much more casual over the last 4-5 years, that the subtle changes do make a difference. Especially when you introduce the more casual elements of lighter, marbled shell.

If it helps anyone, here is a quick side by side of Brown Burnished 5ths (9.5E) and Tan Nubuck Hami (10D). Look at the different sizes of those caps? Wonder if this has to do with the uppers size, as referenced a time or two by @Shoenut?? Not sure I have a medallion preference, but I definitely like the double stitch pattern/pinking of the Hami better.
View attachment 1831657
Love the 5th Street as the Ham just looks like an extended Strand.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@AE_Lauren do you happen to have info on the type of insole that will be used on the Fifth Street boot? And do you have the proper names for these insole types, even the insole type used on the Hamilton?

@AE_Lauren are you able to answer this question about insole type in the Fifths? My apologies if I missed your previous response.

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or Broncos fans...

Or Bears fans...
This Mets fan was most displeased with the absence of Blue and Orange (which are the colors of New York City, the Islanders, and the Knicks too)

Also, as a Mets fan please pray for me. I may not survive the next 2 weeks with this division race let alone the playoffs.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful fall day means it's a great time to break out the OG HMs with some selvedge. Love these old, wrinkly bastards. Easily my most-worn pair of all-time. Well over 200 wears, but probably not up to 300, yet. I might need to think about replacing the heels at some point, but that day is not today. Dainite wears really hard, yo. I know the haters hate on it, but it really does last a long, long time.

IMG_6213.jpg

dpgaloot

Reaction score
Happy Thursday!

I've been mulling over my final choices for the trunk show, I do have a question. I have a very high instep, which sometimes makes loafers challenging. I have 2 Patriots and 3 Randolphs, all shell. Last night I pulled out all 5 pair and tried them on; the difference in tightness across the instep was significant. Toebox and heel are all fine and much more consistent, but there was a fair bit of deviation in fit across the "strap" part. I've always assumed I was having a "fat foot" day with some of those. Is there such a thing as a stretcher for this part of a loafer?

Light Brown Suede HMs today for a work from home day. Finally feeling like autumn here.

HM_LightBrown_4_25.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads