• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy es bueno:
View attachment 1030428 View attachment 1030429 View attachment 1030430 View attachment 1030432 View attachment 1030433

To be fair, the only shoes actually called “burgundy” are the captoe (calf) and the tassel loafer (shell). The penny loafers and LWB are color 8 shell, and the first pic is Merlot

Second this. You'll love burgundy. It's an EXTREMELY versatile color. You can wear it with a suit, it looks elegant, not different. It's great with business casual too. I have burgundy Graysons and Bradleys and just ordered a pair of McNeils during the sale. As OF says, all of these shoes are technically Color 8 shell, rather than burgundy calf, but they look the same. In general, burgundy is a great color, it somehow makes shoes look more dignified AND more visually interesting at the same time. That's really tough to do when you think about it, usually dignified = boring. But burgundy manages to do both of those things at once.

cetrio

Reaction score
Mac Neil horween shell cordovan

14677314_763874210418674_2342342002072354816_n.jpg

26863651_562136207481223_4018632858271744000_n.jpg

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second this. You'll love burgundy. It's an EXTREMELY versatile color. You can wear it with a suit, it looks elegant, not different. It's great with business casual too. I have burgundy Graysons and Bradleys and just ordered a pair of McNeils during the sale. As OF says, all of these shoes are technically Color 8 shell, rather than burgundy calf, but they look the same. In general, burgundy is a great color, it somehow makes shoes look more dignified AND more visually interesting at the same time. That's really tough to do when you think about it, usually dignified = boring. But burgundy manages to do both of those things at once.

I forgot to add how versatile it is- burgundy goes with just about everything. I prefer it to brown when paired with a gray or navy suit.

Mac Neil horween shell cordovan

14677314_763874210418674_2342342002072354816_n.jpg

26863651_562136207481223_4018632858271744000_n.jpg

Love those orange cords

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Merlot is a purpleish red Oxblood is more bright red. I’ve got both each has it’s own application
Sometimes they are not. I recieved a wingtip in oxblood that was so dark that the merlot was brighter.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Gents,

So this new catalog is the official beginning of the end right?

Speed welt, shockform insole, customcork insole?

Wtf?

I don’t think I’ll ever buy another pair of new AEs.

AE is confused and has no identity at the moment. Their branding or whatever is all over the place. From looking at the catalog it’s not at all apparent what the various “lines” are or the half dozen or so different “collections” and/or different construction methods. The buzzwords and unfamiliar jargon confuses the issue further.

It’s all a complete mess. The only consistent thing (I assume) is lower quality materials/manufacturing at higher prices.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sometimes they are not. I recieved a wingtip in oxblood that was so dark that the merlot was brighter.
I enjoy all my reds. From a red Cornwallis, Merlot Maxfield, Oxblood MacNeil, burgundy Leeds and Grayson, and soon coming my Merlot Jefferson’s. Sadly I use them all interchangeably. Because they all look green to me.

Ryan850

Reaction score
AE is confused and has no identity at the moment. Their branding or whatever is all over the place. From looking at the catalog it’s not at all apparent what the various “lines” are or the half dozen or so different “collections” and/or different construction methods. The buzzwords and unfamiliar jargon confuses the issue further.

It’s all a complete mess. The only consistent thing (I assume) is lower quality materials/manufacturing at higher prices.

I wrote this exact same thing over on r/gyw.

AE initially had a great business model of entry level/well known high end footware.

I think was is killing their balance sheet is all of the brick and mortar stores and also wholesaling to Nordstrom/BB/etc.

They also have been introducing so many new pairs that just suck. A couple pairs of shoes (cornwallis, 1947 last line, etc) and a couple of boots (HM) have been hits but other than that it's been a complete meh.

They need someone to consolidate and create a focus for their brand that consumers can get behind.

They are playing the pricing game and with retail prices increasing, alden is becoming much more attractive for the average consumer.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

At least we could all pick up on a deal cause Brown ain’t no Coffee. Next week at work will remind me of when I was a kid and grapes were on sale. Everyone had grapes in their lunch. Everyone at work will have a brown AE but I will have a Merlot Jefferson. This post is not sour grapes either.

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1030391
View attachment 1030392
A fine and pleasant Tuesday to you, fellow enthusiasts. Hot and humid today. Yay. J Crew 770 “broken in” chinos, Lands’ End madras shirt, Banana Republic MiUSA belt, AE Madison Parks.

This weekend I ordered a pair of 770 “broken in” chinos in “old red” with a Labor Day discount. Making one last burst of warm weather clothing purchases with this past weekend’s discounts.
Great shine there @St Hubbins

Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think that Maritimes and boat shoes generally would benefit from shoe trees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads