• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Sutters Mill was one of the Black Friday specials, sold at a low price. I suspect that they were built with less expensive leather and the use of the XL sole was likely another cost-cutting move. These boots were never anything more than a limited production run for that sale, and were still a pretty good value.

My point was, they didn't need to be. Had they put the Dainite sole on them, people may have actually bought some and worn them, regardless of leather quality, or limited availability.

Instead, AE wasted valuable factory time producing crap that gives them a bad name, and further lumps them into the cheap department store shoe category. We know (knew) what they were, because we're here and have a clue, and have an opportunity to make a more informed decision on whether to purchase or not. Some random Joe Shlabotnik on the other hand, spent what he thought was a fortune for a pair of shoes from what he heard was a "quality company" and was left with what? Bad job on him for not doing some research, worse job on AE for squandering resources and good will.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Burgundy Shell Dundees today, they needed some TLC so i hit them with a small amount of cordovan cream polish over the weekend.

20180315_084353.jpg

nmh20

Reaction score
I mentioned the leather was different in my OP. Had AE not *********** pooch on the rest of it, it may have been a viable alternative for someone not looking for CXL.

I’m not familiar with these, but is the sole THAT bad? I’ve considered getting them as there is a pair on the bank for $130 and I don’t have a black boot.

I’ve only been following AE closely for the last 6 months or so, but these boots look much better than some of the rest of the offerings I’ve seen.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is certainly an interesting listing on the bay.
PURPOSELY mismatched Mctav-Elgins?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmo...811051?hash=item41db946a2b:g:SSEAAOSwwWdZeX72

As I recall, the seller of a pair like that (or maybe that exact pair) was all excited and asking for top dollar because they had been used in some photoshoot. Seems someone thought it would look amazing for the model to be wearing two shoes that did not match. Why? Who the hell knows. So the photos were shot and the pair of shoes remained. Now they ended up on Ebay and the seller expects the average person to be excited to wear mismatched shoes. EDIT: I checked the ad again and it states this was done in Details Magazine and pairs were sold this way. They claims it made an "artistic statement." I'm sure the statement was that it made you look like you got dressed in the dark. Details was a magazine for the downtown set and ended publication in 2015 when its owner shut it down.

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with these, but is the sole THAT bad? I’ve considered getting them as there is a pair on the bank for $130 and I don’t have a black boot.

I’ve only been following AE closely for the last 6 months or so, but these boots look much better than some of the rest of the offerings I’ve seen.
I have a couple of pairs with this sole and I think it’s OK. I wore a pair A LOT last fall, with several hours of walking on concrete each day that I wore them. They we're very comfortable. The older version had a harder compound that I’m sure would last longer, but mine are still holding up OK.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I recall, the seller of a pair like that (or maybe that exact pair) was all excited and asking for top dollar because they had been used in some photoshoot. Seems someone thought it would look amazing for the model to be wearing two shoes that did not match. Why? Who the hell knows. So the photos were shot and the pair of shoes remained. Now they ended up on Ebay and the seller expects the average person to be excited to wear mismatched shoes. EDIT: I checked the ad again and it states this was done in Details Magazine and pairs were sold this way. They claims it made an "artistic statement." I'm sure the statement was that it made you look like you got dressed in the dark. Details was a magazine for the downtown set and ended publication in 2015 when its owner shut it down.

Continuing on this issue, I saw these a few weeks back and see someone actually bought them. $34 is what they paid, and that's about what you'd expect.

s-l1600.jpg

Mr. Wonderbeak

Reaction score
Nice glasses! I looked at Maui’s when I was replacing some old Ray Ban Wayfarers, but I ended up going with Costa Fantails. Liked those enough that I bought some Harpoons after a week of having the Fantails lol.
I've never tried the Costas, good to hear you like them though! I'll put them on my list. I have a bunch of glasses, Oakleys, Ray Bans, Mauis, Revo, and my two pairs of Mauis have been the best. The polarized lenses are simply fantastic. I will also say that I have been pretty impressed with the lenses on the Revos' too. received them as a gift, and they are pretty solid!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Continuing on this issue, I saw these a few weeks back and see someone actually bought them. $34 is what they paid, and that's about what you'd expect.

s-l1600.jpg

Those are clearly made at different times. One has white stitches in the welt and the other has black. Pretty much the only thing that could be done is to have the finished stripped on both and have them dyed the same color. This would also dye the contrast stitching on the vamp of the shoe. It would be easier to just buy a different pair.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never tried the Costas, good to hear you like them though! I'll put them on my list. I have a bunch of glasses, Oakleys, Ray Bans, Mauis, Revo, and my two pairs of Mauis have been the best. The polarized lenses are simply fantastic. I will also say that I have been pretty impressed with the lenses on the Revos' too. received them as a gift, and they are pretty solid!

I’m a huge Costa fanboy now- I’ve never had lenses as clear and sharp as the ones on my Costas. I’ve worn glasses since I was 5, and my Costas are non prescription, but I feel like I can see as well (or better) with them as I can my regular glasses. It’s honestly like HD vision.

My Fantails have the green (amber tint) 580g glass lenses, and my Harpoons have blue (gray tint) 580g glass. After trying the plastic in store, the glass imho is definitely worth the upcharge (I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the glass lenses are actually made by Zeiss?). I don’t notice the weight difference, and I like that the glass is far more scratchproof than plastic (though I’m very careful with my glasses). The frames are super sturdy too. I took my Fantails parasailing in Orange Beach and smacked my face/the temple against a carabiner on the harness when I hit the water- not even a scratch. That would’ve shattered my Ray Bans.

The blue is designed for open water fishing in full sunlight, and the green is for fishing in murkier water (lakes and such)- both work very well for their intended purpose. I do find myself wearing the Harpoons far more for day to day use (I like the darker lenses), but I wear the Fantails almost exclusively when fishing (since I do mostly streams/lakes). I’ve never had polarized glasses before these, but I never realized how much glare polarization cut until I used my Harpoons on my cruise back in October- you could see through the water with them on.

I kind of like Costa lol.

Mr. Wonderbeak

Reaction score
I’m a huge Costa fanboy now- I’ve never had lenses as clear and sharp as the ones on my Costas. I’ve worn glasses since I was 5, and my Costas are non prescription, but I feel like I can see as well (or better) with them as I can my regular glasses. It’s honestly like HD vision.

My Fantails have the green (amber tint) 580g glass lenses, and my Harpoons have blue (gray tint) 580g glass. After trying the plastic in store, the glass imho is definitely worth the upcharge (I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the glass lenses are actually made by Zeiss?). I don’t notice the weight difference, and I like that the glass is far more scratchproof than plastic (though I’m very careful with my glasses). The frames are super sturdy too. I took my Fantails parasailing in Orange Beach and smacked my face/the temple against a carabiner on the harness when I hit the water- not even a scratch. That would’ve shattered my Ray Bans.

The blue is designed for open water fishing in full sunlight, and the green is for fishing in murkier water (lakes and such)- both work very well for their intended purpose. I do find myself wearing the Harpoons far more for day to day use (I like the darker lenses), but I wear the Fantails almost exclusively when fishing (since I do mostly streams/lakes). I’ve never had polarized glasses before these, but I never realized how much glare polarization cut until I used my Harpoons on my cruise back in October- you could see through the water with them on.

I kind of like Costa lol.
Polarized lenses are an absolute must in all circumstances, but especially helpful while fishing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics