• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny you mention the Merrell Moab Vents, as I just picked up this pair from Dick’s the other day! LOL. The Dalton and Higgins Mill, it isn’t, though.

View attachment 941283

Yep, same ones I have!

I know there’s better boots out there, but I’ve worn Merrell since I was in Boy Scouts, so I have an attachment to them. I’ve never done extended hikes (weeklong backpacking trips), but they work just fine for some weekend backpacking for me.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Received the St. John today. These are definitely natural shell cordovan. Like the shoe a lot and the last fit me well, but they will crease on the cap, because of the design. I can’t find a single flaw that would make them seconds, but they are marked as such.

Took a picture next to the Strand and Cambridge, also in natural shell cordovan.

View attachment 941309

View attachment 941311
Someone keeps winning the lottery ... congrats buddy

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Brown Central Parks today with a suit. Hope everyone had a good hump day.

20180308_082734.jpg

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd guess they were part of the trunk show and built to the wrong spec or something similar, and couldn't be put in stock since there's no standard PN for it.
Yeah, that or maybe the color is slightly darker and the buyer wasn’t happy.

Someone keeps winning the lottery ... congrats buddy
Thanks, especially since I paid the lower seconds prices and the guys on the thread paid full retail for similar make ups during the trunk show. I wish I could find some other colors, as well.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good! I have some deep soul searching to do.
It’s a double edged sword,someone on the thread mentioned recently how often what became the favorite shoe was an almost accidental purchase or something that unexpectedly grows on you-all the same we can get stoked about a shoe but when we get it the expectation isn’t met. With me the LaSalle is a good example of the latter-I love everything about it except how they look on my feet-they look great on other people’s feet but on mine they look like pointy elf shoes! I even got them in chili and still I can’t pull it off! Whereas the Bradley? Golden! Go figure

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TresG

Reaction score
Yep, same ones I have!

I know there’s better boots out there, but I’ve worn Merrell since I was in Boy Scouts, so I have an attachment to them. I’ve never done extended hikes (weeklong backpacking trips), but they work just fine for some weekend backpacking for me.
Admittedly, I’m not an avid hiker myself. I figured I’d take it up with a couple of buddies of mine though (which is why I got them), since it is a form of exercise that’ll break up the monotony of going to the gym.

LLEE

Reaction score
Anyone have the ‘Vancouver’ boot? Being made in the DR has prevented me from buying it in the past, but I quite like the looks of it. And with the lining, for the price point (clearance) it’s extra tempting for how often boots are needed up here.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, glad I gave it a go. While I didn’t complete strike out, I definitely didn't win the cxl lottery, more like a free large fry on a Mcdonalds Monopoly game.

The box showing up like this didn’t give me a a lot of hope:

View attachment 941273

No biggie, and honestly the bit of cxl loose grain doesn’t bother me:

View attachment 941281

But I think I’ve decided that the workboot style just doesn’t really work with my build, I just don’t find it to look nearly as well balanced as it does on most people. I’m going to stew it’s over, but I think I’d be better off going another direction (black Liverpool?)
sorry to hear they weren't love at first site. I'm always going to support a Liverpool purchase, but I love the natural edging with the black uppers. The HM is definitely a boot you wear to love. It looks super clunky looking down to my feet, but it's still a neat boot. Definitely sit on them for a week before sending back. Sometimes you begin to see the charm, but if not you know you made the right decision to send back.
Received the St. John today. These are definitely natural shell cordovan. Like the shoe a lot and the last fit me well, but they will crease on the cap, because of the design. I can’t find a single flaw that would make them seconds, but they are marked as such.

Took a picture next to the Strand and Cambridge, also in natural shell cordovan.

View attachment 941309

View attachment 941311
I don't care if they crease on the cap, I would jump on a pair in my size!

View attachment 941319
Great shoe; would rock two sides of Tuesday. This is the trendy stuff AE should be doing. That's from the early 2010s, right?
PSA.
Brand new brown shell Higgins Mills in 7.5D, $375 obo. Same seller that I bought my St Johns from.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NIB-Allen-Ed...366524?hash=item3d5cd3733c:g:7iEAAOSwMEBaqdid
Whoops. That left boot was mislasted. I wonder where it came from; my understanding is there was only one damaged boot besides mine. This isn't the first pair to pop up, but maybe this is it.

RaiderATO

Reaction score

View attachment 941319
I wanted these instead of my black PAs, but I got an invite for a buddy's wedding and it said "formal"... so I couldn't hold off on the black cap toes any longer.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wanted these instead of my black PAs, but I got an invite for a buddy's wedding and it said "formal"... so I couldn't hold off on the black cap toes any longer.
Well, if the "why not both?" wasn't an option, why not black? With the right leg opening no one would have probably been the wiser to the beauty underneath!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads