• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewodg

Reaction score
Unless that substitute is natural shell ... he DID say business casual.

I am kinda on a Color 8/burgundy shell kick (because I generally wear grey wool pants). I see that AE is not currently offering the Strand in burgundy, unfortunately. I had placed an order for the MacNeils, which are backordered, so I guess I just need to decide whether to change that order to the Cambridge.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am kinda on a Color 8/burgundy shell kick (because I generally wear grey wool pants). I see that AE is not currently offering the Strand in burgundy, unfortunately. I had placed an order for the MacNeils, which are backordered, so I guess I just need to decide whether to change that order to the Cambridge.
I'm more an oxford person over blucher, and the 65 fits me very well, so I personally would go Cambridge over Macs. I wholly support either option though.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ll second this, but I think it’s mostly an issue with the wide basic. I have had two I’ve given away because they didn’t hold up well. Both manistees have lasted longer, better.

A couple of years ago they had a model called something like dry wolf or wolf creek - quality on those was off the charts. They still look brand new.
I favor the poplar over basic wide so that I can use the brass buckle. It's done fine so far; it's much more flexible than most other belts I've had in the past for some reason.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at the mall here in Raleigh the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see AE is opening a store here. My wallet, however, is already cringing at the thought.
Yup - I noticed that at Crabtree too. I generally pop into enough when I travel (was in Boston for a two-day work trip and visited two AE stores...) that I'm not as scared as I would be otherwise...

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Check with a SA, thats how i got my burgundy shell strands 2 years ago. Shell Strands were not avail in Burgundy at that time. Amid its a different time and SMU is strict now, but its worth checking to see if they can get one built for you.

If you need a SA, im sure someone here can recommend one.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Typing this periodically during calls, so I'll clarify anything that doesn't make sense (probably most of it). I was in the same boat as you, I wanted a easy on/easy off boot for inclement weather dog walking to replace my true beater chukkas that are currently in use. I liked the lugged sole a lot and would like to get a pair of boots with that commando sole. The suede used was very nice and supple. I ordered it in tan after seeing the brown in person. I feel the tan helps mute the lackluster toe burnishing. (The burnishing was neither a pro or con, I was okay with it because of my intended use for the boot).

Dislikes - First, the felt lining just does not belong in the Allen Edmonds factory. It is has an unpleasant feel to it and the boot would be improved to either be unlined or normal leather lined. The proportions of the boot are also off in my opinion due to the raised lugged sole/heel. The shaft wasn't high enough to offset the height of the outsole making my ankle feel unsupported. For being on the same last as the Higgins Mills I found it to not have the same generous toe box.

Sorry if that was just pure ramble...

Very helpful. Good call on the light brown. Based on that lining i think ill pass on this. I liked the "Ashbury" look but it sounds like this was a swing and miss.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You know, I actually almost appended “... or #8” to my statement but remembered you had gotten PAs in that color. There’s a long history with me and statements about shoe redundancies that I won’t go into now (it ends with me eating my words, hard), but early in your collection I would encourage some diversity.

Then again, burgundy goes with darn near everything ...

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the chocolate more myself. But I ended up talking myself into keeping both
giphy-downsized-1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads