• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TresG

Reaction score
Wednesday commute with the Daltons...and some reading material.

2A894868-363D-4FB3-8B64-54E03A0E3749.jpeg

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell question.

I’ve noticed this spot on the vamp of my Alden LWB’s since I got them, but I’m finally getting around to asking about it. It looks like the finish got screwed up in the application process:
1917D656-6B02-483E-BDAE-DB3F0186D72F.jpeg

You can only really see it in strong sunlight, but is it something that’s correctable, something that’ll fix itself over time, or something I should just ignore?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine come in today. They look great and I intend to wear them strictly for function. Ideally with jeans and weekend attire but they’ll have to work for all situations until I feel the need to spend more on more on the deer skin type

I guess you’re right, I got them to wear with stuff like my Barbour and Gloverall anyways, so I think that’ll work.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE, but not shoes. Got in my Harris Tweed gloves yesterday:
View attachment 937115

I’m not sure if I’m going to keep them. I love the look of the harris tweed and the idea of using that material on gloves, but I feel like they make my hands look really bulky:
View attachment 937117 View attachment 937118 View attachment 937119

My only gloves prior to this were super cheap Calvin Klein “leather” ones with little lining, which is maybe why those felt slimmer. Also, these definitely fit (like a glove- heyooo), but I assume gloves break in like shoes? I don’t feel like I have a huge amount of flexibility in them, but I assume the leather will give more as I wear them?

Opinions appreciated. I might keep them solely because they were $30 and I doubt I’ll find anything nicer in that range, but I still wanted to get some different eyes looking at them

These are pretty warm for your neck of woods and they are not light driving gloves.

For my use, I consider "warm" wear to be more function than form, so a bit loose is fine. Also intended use for me is with a few similar caps like these also at $30 ish right now:
IMG_2025.jpg
:::sigh::: pardon Gigi's hair on my cap.

Walking out door right now wearing shearling First Aves, cap in pic and your same gloves into the falling snow for a dog walk!

Last edited:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are pretty warm for your neck of woods and they are not light driving gloves.

For my use, I consider "warm" wear to me more function than form, so a bit loose is fine. Also intended use for me is with a few similar caps like these also at $30 ish right now:
View attachment 937142
:::sigh::: pardon Gigi's hair on my cap.

Walking out door right now wearing shearling First Aves, cap in pic and your same gloves into the falling snow for a dog walk!

It can feel colder down here than the temperature would indicate due to the humidity- there were several times this winter where I wished I had gloves. They won’t get the kind of use down here that they would in, say, Minnesota, but they’ll be nice to have available on the occasions I do need them. All the comments about functionality are on the money- considering how cheap they were (and how they’re not available anymore), I’ll go ahead and hang on to them. Thanks folks!

YoungSweet

Reaction score
I just realized I forgot to add that information. 35 year old lawyer in a business casual office when not in court. Really just starting out. Have the Del Ray in black calf (that I bought deeply discounted), and ordered the Park Avenue in burgundy cordovan yesterday. As mentioned, have two Alden boots for winter.

Lots of choices here. Now you can get 2 pairs of calf for the price of 1 pair of shell if you want to have more options in your rotation. If you are still sticking with shell, I'd recommend either the Brown Shell Strands or the Burgundy Cambridges. If you are looking at non-shell, I'd recommend brown Strands, merlot/Dark Chilli/Oxblood McAllisters, Dark Chilli/Oxblood Fifth Aves.

For non 65 last, I'd look into Leeds, MacNeils and Carlyles. Leeds and MacNeils are available in shell. Good luck, let us know what you decide on.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd ignmo
Shell question.

I’ve noticed this spot on the vamp of my Alden LWB’s since I got them, but I’m finally getting around to asking about it. It looks like the finish got screwed up in the application process:
View attachment 937135

You can only really see it in strong sunlight, but is it something that’s correctable, something that’ll fix itself over time, or something I should just ignore?
Probably ignore. I've got a dark spot on the front of my #8 boots that is just part of the variation in the shell itself.
2yRfP9c.jpg

I was sweating it from that pic when I bought them, but it is only visible in very bright light, and not a problem (for me).

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you get a minute, would you mind elaborating a little on what you liked/didnt like about the surrey? On paper it sounded like a good choice for me - smaller than usual fit, i wanted a chelsea/chukka, water resistant, lug sole. In person i was really put off - ugly broad sanded toe, but most notably this sort of scratchy synthetic feel to the wool lining inside. I hate linings like that. But man...i am not a big fan of the normandy platform at all, but seeing the taupe caen next to the surrey was like seeing a lambo next to a yugo.

Typing this periodically during calls, so I'll clarify anything that doesn't make sense (probably most of it). I was in the same boat as you, I wanted a easy on/easy off boot for inclement weather dog walking to replace my true beater chukkas that are currently in use. I liked the lugged sole a lot and would like to get a pair of boots with that commando sole. The suede used was very nice and supple. I ordered it in tan after seeing the brown in person. I feel the tan helps mute the lackluster toe burnishing. (The burnishing was neither a pro or con, I was okay with it because of my intended use for the boot).

Dislikes - First, the felt lining just does not belong in the Allen Edmonds factory. It is has an unpleasant feel to it and the boot would be improved to either be unlined or normal leather lined. The proportions of the boot are also off in my opinion due to the raised lugged sole/heel. The shaft wasn't high enough to offset the height of the outsole making my ankle feel unsupported. For being on the same last as the Higgins Mills I found it to not have the same generous toe box.

Sorry if that was just pure ramble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads