• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewodg

Reaction score
That is how I wear the 5-last: I'm a Brannock 12D and consistently take that size in footwear described as true-to-size, but wear an 11.5E in 5-last. 1/2-down and 1-size-up would be my recommendation as the first size to try on.

I think the variability you see comes from (A) people who have low volume/low instep (B) people who have certain foot-shapes penalized by the form of the 5-last and (C) some leathers last a little looser and thus size differently (I'm thinking about my McT's here, where the Dublin leather yields a 11.5D in all three pairs. My guess is it doesn't stretch much and tears easily - like shell but even easier to tear). My shell 5-last is also 11.5E and a great fit.

There's probably a fair number of people who don't have an accurate Brannock too...

Thanks all for the very helpful responses. I went to the local AE store last night and tried on a 10D (my Brannock size), a 9.5D, and a 9.5E, and the 9.5E did fit the best for me. Much appreciated!

Now the only question is whether to get the Strand, Cambridge, or MacNeil to go with the Park Avenue for those less-formal days... Thoughts?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went in to my store again (2nd time in as many days for those keeping track) tonight with the intent on returning my newly arrived Surrey Chukkas and to have my Sullivan's stretched. My store didn't have 9D (a 9.5 had terrible heel slip) so they dropped shipped to my home, I didn't like either the fit or the height of the chukka. Not my style. For those keeping even better track, the majority of the funds for the chukkas came from returning a coat. I joking told the SA there (Tom @ Oakbrook) that I might as well roll the refund into the next purchase. I walked to browse and a minute later he called me over to the counter. He instructed me to read the monitor - starting Thursday select boots will be on sale for $350 (Tates?/Liverpool/Daltons). He said the sale could start tonight if I wanted it too

My first pair of walnut

One of the tongues had a bit of loose grain and one of the out soles had some wonky stitching - Tom said he could have another pair shipped to me, but he obliged to my request for a pair of shoe trees.

When you get a minute, would you mind elaborating a little on what you liked/didnt like about the surrey? On paper it sounded like a good choice for me - smaller than usual fit, i wanted a chelsea/chukka, water resistant, lug sole. In person i was really put off - ugly broad sanded toe, but most notably this sort of scratchy synthetic feel to the wool lining inside. I hate linings like that. But man...i am not a big fan of the normandy platform at all, but seeing the taupe caen next to the surrey was like seeing a lambo next to a yugo.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the very helpful responses. I went to the local AE store last night and tried on a 10D (my Brannock size), a 9.5D, and a 9.5E, and the 9.5E did fit the best for me. Much appreciated!

Now the only question is whether to get the Strand, Cambridge, or MacNeil to go with the Park Avenue for those less-formal days... Thoughts?
That's easy - the obvious answer is "all of them."

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats easy. The obvious answer is the Grayson.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing with belts: get one from a reputable shoe maker, like AE, or a dedicated belt maker. They seem super expensive when compared to the typical $12.99 mall brand belt, but those are TOTAL crap. And if you go with one of the higher end fashion brands you'll pay at least as much if not more and you still might get crap.

The reason AE belts are "expensive" is that by the by they're real calf leather not corrected grain "genuine" leather. Wait for a sale or clearance, and check ShoeBank.com, DO NOT pay full retail. If you need something right away, try calling Kristen at the Paramus outlet and see if she has something in Walnut or Bourbon that fits your budget. The outlets typically have belts not listed on ShoeBank, and are often $40 or less. As mentioned, Bourbon is a good substitute for Walnut. IMO it's better, as its more versatile and isn't as in your face as Walnut with darker pants.

This. I used to think it was dumb to buy a belt more expensive than something you could buy at Target, but the difference in quality is immediately apparent. I’ve never paid full price and have 4 AE belts that I’m sure will last me years.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AE, but not shoes. Got in my Harris Tweed gloves yesterday:
47AB09B5-13C9-4D33-A62D-ACA430AE403C.jpeg

I’m not sure if I’m going to keep them. I love the look of the harris tweed and the idea of using that material on gloves, but I feel like they make my hands look really bulky:
036BF0B5-F719-463B-8A32-98CE29C673CF.jpeg
8F1B662D-5B89-490D-8C55-2D21B73DE20F.jpeg
78718521-F099-49FC-92E9-E8EE72A0B639.jpeg

My only gloves prior to this were super cheap Calvin Klein “leather” ones with little lining, which is maybe why those felt slimmer. Also, these definitely fit (like a glove- heyooo), but I assume gloves break in like shoes? I don’t feel like I have a huge amount of flexibility in them, but I assume the leather will give more as I wear them?

Opinions appreciated. I might keep them solely because they were $30 and I doubt I’ll find anything nicer in that range, but I still wanted to get some different eyes looking at them

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Kinda digging the B+M tan country calf Indy though I sort of wish it had a commando sole.
Buy it. I missed out on her country calf...I really wanted the derby on plaza...

I prefer the strand, but the two wings aren't far behind. Do note the MacNeil is on the 97 not 65.

YoungSweet

Reaction score

It would be easier to help if you let us know what shoes you already have and what your dress code situation. I would not recommend the Cambridge if you already have the McAs in your rotation and if you are not wearing suits regularly.

But again, as the general consensus of this forum, all of them.

thewodg

Reaction score
It would be easier to help if you let us know what shoes you already have and what your dress code situation. I would not recommend the Cambridge if you already have the McAs in your rotation and if you are not wearing suits regularly.

But again, as the general consensus of this forum, all of them.

I just realized I forgot to add that information. 35 year old lawyer in a business casual office when not in court. Really just starting out. Have the Del Ray in black calf (that I bought deeply discounted), and ordered the Park Avenue in burgundy cordovan yesterday. As mentioned, have two Alden boots for winter.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Strand

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. I used to think it was dumb to buy a belt more expensive than something you could buy at Target, but the difference in quality is immediately apparent. I’ve never paid full price and have 4 AE belts that I’m sure will last me years.

With the one caveat, of course, that the "wide basic dress" is not nearly as high of a quality as the "less versatile" styles like Manistee. I've had the Manistee longer, and it looks far less "worn down" than the basic dress does. If the basic dress can be had on sale or via the bank for the 40-ish price range, then it's a great buy. If you're spending much more than that, I'd go ahead and spend the 70-80 on a Manistee or similar from a sale or shoebank.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the one caveat, of course, that the "wide basic dress" is not nearly as high of a quality as the "less versatile" styles like Manistee. I've had the Manistee longer, and it looks far less "worn down" than the basic dress does. If the basic dress can be had on sale or via the bank for the 40-ish price range, then it's a great buy. If you're spending much more than that, I'd go ahead and spend the 70-80 on a Manistee or similar from a sale or shoebank.

That’s fair- I only have 2 Manistee, one suede, and one Dearborn, so my experience is limited to those models.

ULCajun

Reaction score
AE, but not shoes. Got in my Harris Tweed gloves yesterday:
View attachment 937115

I’m not sure if I’m going to keep them. I love the look of the harris tweed and the idea of using that material on gloves, but I feel like they make my hands look really bulky:
View attachment 937117 View attachment 937118 View attachment 937119

My only gloves prior to this were super cheap Calvin Klein “leather” ones with little lining, which is maybe why those felt slimmer. Also, these definitely fit (like a glove- heyooo), but I assume gloves break in like shoes? I don’t feel like I have a huge amount of flexibility in them, but I assume the leather will give more as I wear them?

Opinions appreciated. I might keep them solely because they were $30 and I doubt I’ll find anything nicer in that range, but I still wanted to get some different eyes looking at them
Mine come in today. They look great and I intend to wear them strictly for function. Ideally with jeans and weekend attire but they’ll have to work for all situations until I feel the need to spend more on more on the deer skin type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads