• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff d

Reaction score
PSA:
Using a Raise gift card to save 10% is a good idea.
Buying a gift card from Retail Me Not to save 15% is NOT a good idea. I bought one and it did not work. Customer service is non-existent. I eventually called my credit card company to dispute the charge. That’s when I found out that they charged my credit card for SEVEN gift cards, and only sent me one (which was invalid).

How quickly did you get the card number? and do you know if you can use them at shoebank?

Bourbonator

Reaction score
Has AE done a full ostrich vamp shoe in the past? I know they did the Lauderdale with ostrich in place of the weave. The look is subtle.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How quickly did you get the card number? and do you know if you can use them at shoebank?
I got my card number immediately, then used it on the main site.
I think that others may have used it for shoe bank purchases, but I will leave it for someone else to speak up about that.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum pals. The office is closed, so jeans were appropriate.

IMG_2674.jpg

Weathered

Reaction score
So, given the fact that the green Cornwallis is now $125, I think it's time.

That being said, anyone have a picture of what it looks like in the wild? The photos make it look baller, but I wasn't sure if they weren't selling because they're a dud IRL. Also, does one need to match their belt when wearing green? The matching belt is pretty picked over for sizes...

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have always liked brown grain LWB, especially when on someone else's foot. I have not been able to pull the trigger on this item for myself. The BB LWB brown grain tartans have solved this for me. The mix of the wool cloth and the grain leather really are attractive together. The grain brings the texture to the shoe. This mix works quite nicely for me and I have a feeling this may not be the occasional shoe that I purchased it for. Looks like straight to regular rotation. At least in the Fall and winter. Who am I kidding, in Spring and Summer I will be back to my loafer most days usual.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Got the blue Cove Drive to wear when I’ll be on my feet for an extended time, and in casual clothes. I’ve found them to be very comfortable, right out of the box. I used to hate white wedge soles, but came around on their (limited) use.

View attachment 926010 View attachment 926011

Caveat: I didn’t like how light they were, especially with the burnished toe, so I hit them with some Saphir Navy blue cordovan cream. Very happy with them now (Also, I now have five pairs of blue shoes - how did this happen?)

Routinely I've seen on the bay that sellers would be selling 1 shoe (instead of the pair) and always wonder if they would ever make the sale. Not trying to be insensitive here, but have you thought of getting a few of those to use in the mean time. I see them dirt cheap on the bay.

cardsfan89

Reaction score
So, given the fact that the green Cornwallis is now $125, I think it's time.

That being said, anyone have a picture of what it looks like in the wild? The photos make it look baller, but I wasn't sure if they weren't selling because they're a dud IRL. Also, does one need to match their belt when wearing green? The matching belt is pretty picked over for sizes...

Are you a member of the AE Facebook page? Someone shared a picture of Green Cornwallis the morning of the Super Bowl

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stopped by my AE store to return my HMs yesterday. While I was there, I took a look at the new wholecut:
View attachment 925977 View attachment 925978 View attachment 925979 View attachment 925980 View attachment 925982 View attachment 925983

Honestly, kudos to AE for attempting a wholecut, but I think it’s a swing and a miss. After handling it in person, i can’t help but reaffirm my thought that this shoe should’ve been on a sleeker last (like the 8). I imagine the reason for the higher cone is so more people get full lace closure, so I get the decision to go that route, but imho it makes the shoe appear more shapeless and “blobby”.

The other issue is the leather- since the leather quality is center stage (no broguing or stitching to hide imperfections), and we all know about AE QC with wrinkled leather, I feel like a LOT of these will make their way to shoebank. I could be wrong, but the floor model had a bit of wrinkling (on the outside near the laces, see the last pic), so we’ll see.

If this came out 3 years ago (when I was first starting into AE) I might’ve been all over it, but having spent the past few years developing my preferences, wholecuts are a shoe that needs to be sleeker and more elegant, since there’s no visual interest (broguing, stitching, etc) to distract the eye. At this point, if I was in the market for a WC, I’d be looking at something from Meermin or Carmina. Just my 2¢
You made up my mind. I have to get me one of these, even if it is a miss. I want to support the effort. I can always get one in brown shell also.

DoubleOldFashioned

Reaction score
Routinely I've seen on the bay that sellers would be selling 1 shoe (instead of the pair) and always wonder if they would ever make the sale. Not trying to be insensitive here, but have you thought of getting a few of those to use in the mean time. I see them dirt cheap on the bay.
I’m just recovering from bone spur surgery-most of the swelling has gone down, but not quite there-so will be back in two shoes really soon.

Thomas Crown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by my AE store to return my HMs yesterday. While I was there, I took a look at the new wholecut:
View attachment 925977 View attachment 925978 View attachment 925979 View attachment 925980 View attachment 925982 View attachment 925983

Honestly, kudos to AE for attempting a wholecut, but I think it’s a swing and a miss. After handling it in person, i can’t help but reaffirm my thought that this shoe should’ve been on a sleeker last (like the 8). I imagine the reason for the higher cone is so more people get full lace closure, so I get the decision to go that route, but imho it makes the shoe appear more shapeless and “blobby”.

The other issue is the leather- since the leather quality is center stage (no broguing or stitching to hide imperfections), and we all know about AE QC with wrinkled leather, I feel like a LOT of these will make their way to shoebank. I could be wrong, but the floor model had a bit of wrinkling (on the outside near the laces, see the last pic), so we’ll see.

If this came out 3 years ago (when I was first starting into AE) I might’ve been all over it, but having spent the past few years developing my preferences, wholecuts are a shoe that needs to be sleeker and more elegant, since there’s no visual interest (broguing, stitching, etc) to distract the eye. At this point, if I was in the market for a WC, I’d be looking at something from Meermin or Carmina. Just my 2¢
That said,your pics look better than the AE ones,when I first saw them I didn’t think much of them,now they look much better—when are they ever going to figure out presentation of their product?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have pictures of how the shoe looked originally vs. the changes that you have made? I have to see the difference.

Here they are originally, then after the resole without the eyelets. You already saw the final version.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 7.44.54 AM.png
IMG_2227.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics