• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Modified Last: If You Wear, or are Interested, Please Read

mtc2000

Reaction score
Beside the obvious, i.e. taking a trip to Japan, you may try an online buyer service such as Tenso.

Alden #54321 is readily available online in Japan. But the merchants may not be willing to ship overseas.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are in the USA - you will pay far less for these shoes in NY - 720 Euro will run you about $1000 + shipping from europe. Alden shoe will be about $660

You will rarely if ever find shell in the modified last in the US. Something to do with Alden's agreement with the Alden retailers in Japan and Europe. There's lots of modified last calf around, especially at Moulded Shoe in Manhattan.

Mike147

Reaction score

I'll be honest, while the Modified last is the best for boots, for bluchers/balmorals I think that Allen Edmonds has a lot of lasts that might satisfy Modified lovers. The 5 last, in particular is really similar, has the same wide flare front, and narrow heel. Yeah, it's not Alden quality, but it's available, it works better for my feet than the Barrie or TruBalance lasts, and you can actually get it in shell (and custom, MTO shell orders) in it, which you can't on the Modified. For boots, though, AE doesn't have anything that works for my foot, unfortunately.

I can't find the 5 Last on their website.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'll be honest, while the Modified last is the best for boots, for bluchers/balmorals I think that Allen Edmonds has a lot of lasts that might satisfy Modified lovers. The 5 last, in particular is really similar, has the same wide flare front, and narrow heel. Yeah, it's not Alden quality, but it's available, it works better for my feet than the Barrie or TruBalance lasts, and you can actually get it in shell (and custom, MTO shell orders) in it, which you can't on the Modified. For boots, though, AE doesn't have anything that works for my foot, unfortunately.

I can't find the 5 Last on their website.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/AllAboutLastsView?catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1&storeId=1

sclls

Reaction score
I would post this here first before putting it up for sale in the B/S forum. Would anybody be interested in a pair of Natural Chromexcel Wingtip shoes
9uLlxh

Last edited:

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. The 5 last is what the 65 last is called (you call it by the last digit). It's not identical mind you, it's just a very acceptable alternative for people needing a wide forefoot and narrow heel if you order the EEE sizes. And it's much easier to get in EEE sizes in shell and calf with AE than Alden.

Mike147

Reaction score

Yeah. The 5 last is what the 65 last is called (you call it by the last digit). It's not identical mind you, it's just a very acceptable alternative for people needing a wide forefoot and narrow heel if you order the EEE sizes. And it's much easier to get in EEE sizes in shell and calf with AE than Alden.

I've had trouble getting a good fit with AE in the past with my orthotics to be honest. Just never enough room in the forefoot in EEE - some of the business casual shoes with removable inserts came close to working. The stiffness of the Alden sheel shank + ML high arch + ML thomas heel have been very good for me.. I'll stop by an AE corp store by my home to try on the '5' or '65' in EEE and see if it works but I am not hopeful

Last edited:

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AE 5 last does not fit anything like the modified. It does not have a raised arch, has a cramped toebox and does not have a raised and supportive heel cup. The modified is an orthotic "banana" last.

Mike147

Reaction score

AE 5 last does not fit anything like the modified. It does not have a raised arch, has a cramped toebox and does not have a raised and supportive heel cup. The modified is an orthotic "banana" last.

Have you been able to find a Vass banana last that fits you?

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shrug, I disagree. Well, I agree about the lack of an arch, but the modified really doesn't have much of an arch either in my experience. I find the heel cup quite supportive and that it has a similar flare, with a straight inner line. Of course anyone here is going to have a very particular foot. For some of you it won't work, but I suspect that there are many people here who will fin that it does. When I compare their profile with my modified Alden's, they are very similar. I will post pictures later when I get the chance

Last edited:

Mike147

Reaction score

Shrug, I disagree. Well, I agree about the lack of an arch, but the modified really doesn't have much of an arch either in my experience. I find the heel cup quite supportive and that it has a similar flare, with a straight inner line. Of course anyone here is going to have a very particular foot. For some of you it won't work, but I suspect that there are many people here who will fin that it does. When I compare their profile with my modified Alden's, they are very similar. I will post pictures later when I get the chance

The arch support we refer to is built into the last - it's driven by the shape of the shoe as well as the type of heel installed. The very narrow waist is meant to accommodate a person with a high arch. The best way to see this is to look at the shoe from the sole side.

While you can always add padding, etc under your arch, the ML Last design has arch support built into the shape. In additional, the Thomas heel adds to the arch support as the heel extends further forward in the shoes, under the arch.

I'm not a shoe-builder so it's tough for me to explain in technical terms. Bottom line for me is that AE has nothing like the ML in it's last and construction. This isn't a good or bad thing for AE - simple fact that Alden traditionally had an orthopedic 'footbalance' line in additional to their traditional dress shoes. We are simply a bunch of guys who want Alden to built a fancier, more styled dress shoe and / or boot on a last that they originally designed for people with problem feet...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads