• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Al Bazar store in Italy

madison avenue

Reaction score
After seeing tons of pictures of their inventory from their spread collar shirts to the wide and long collared shirts to their sports jackets, ties and tapered pants I have fallen in love with this store from what I see. I really do not want this thread to turn into the bashing of Milan style. I just want to ask anyone who has been at the shop before are all the clothing made by the in house brand or is it a mix of designers. If anyone would know a store schedule that would be great as well since I plan to visit their soon I hope. And last thing some price ranges would be great too. Thank you for the help in advance.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It isn't really Milan style, per se, it is Al Bazaar style. I think it is all made by the various "good" factories in Italy, but an not positive. Hours are most likely 10-1 and 3-7, but they may be slightly different.

IMO, the wide spread shirts are an awful look, but YMMV.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bring a camera and do a trip report

I might be in Milan myself in the fall and will do a trip report of all the stores visited

Montesquieu

Reaction score
I've been there a couple times and purchased a total of three jackets and a half dozen shirts.

The shirts are a great value at roughly €110 - nice fabrics, slim cut, and come standard with an extra set of cuffs and collar. The manufacturer of their dress and casual shirts is called Guy Rover. I don't know whom else they supply. I haven't found another dress shirt at the price point that I like as well. Their casual knit shirt is also quite nice in that it has a high collar made to be worn beneath a sweater or jacket.

Their jackets are labelled "Sartoria Milano", which as iammatt says, is probably a local shop that supplies for many others. Mine are all made from nice Zegna fabrics. Price, if I recall correctly, ranges €600-800. Styles range from conservative to colorful (e.g., the ones you see on the website). I've received many compliments on the three I own, but since buying them, my tastes have shifted to MTM/bespoke Napolitan styles (less shoulder padding and structure, narrower lapels).

Overall, it's a great place to shop. Quality and style for the money are hard to beat.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a video on men.style.com right now also.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
There's a video on men.style.com right now also.

Thanks for the URL!

madison avenue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Montesquieu
I've been there a couple times and purchased a total of three jackets and a half dozen shirts.

The shirts are a great value at roughly €110 - nice fabrics, slim cut, and come standard with an extra set of cuffs and collar. The manufacturer of their dress and casual shirts is called Guy Rover. I don't know whom else they supply. I haven't found another dress shirt at the price point that I like as well. Their casual knit shirt is also quite nice in that it has a high collar made to be worn beneath a sweater or jacket.

Their jackets are labelled "Sartoria Milano", which as iammatt says, is probably a local shop that supplies for many others. Mine are all made from nice Zegna fabrics. Price, if I recall correctly, ranges €600-800. Styles range from conservative to colorful (e.g., the ones you see on the website). I've received many compliments on the three I own, but since buying them, my tastes have shifted to MTM/bespoke Napolitan styles (less shoulder padding and structure, narrower lapels).

Overall, it's a great place to shop. Quality and style for the money are hard to beat.

Thanks for all of the great info. Do they sell shoes as well?

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by madison avenue
Thanks for all of the great info. Do they sell shoes as well?

They do. I never took a close look, but what I briefly saw looked attractive. I suspect that, like their shirts and suits, their shoes represent good value, made by a quality Italian manufacturer without a brand mark-up. Probably worth a look if you're not hunting for a specific brand and like classic Italian styles.

(I've historically done my Milan shoe shopping at the Santoni boutique. Sutor Mantellassi has also now opened a Milan store, which I hope to visit when next there. Latanzi is worth a visit even if outside mortal price zones; I've never seen shoes so beautiful.)

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Their jackets are labelled "Sartoria Milano", which as iammatt says, is probably a local shop that supplies for many others. Mine are all made from nice Zegna fabrics. Price, if I recall correctly, ranges €600-800.

Are their jackets canvassed or fused?

Biscione

Reaction score
I live in Milan. Personally, I find most things there gaudy and representative of a less elegant side of Milanese dress. However, if that's what you're into, ay least they have a large selection. The sports jackets probably aren't of a remarkably high quality. If you want to find Milanese style RTW (note- actual Milanese style is generally tailor or cobbler made), M. Bardelli is the perfect stop for most men's clothing.

fra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscione
I live in Milan.

Personally, I find most things there gaudy and representative of a less elegant side of Milanese dress. However, if that's what you're into, ay least they have a large selection.

The sports jackets probably aren't of a remarkably high quality. If you want to find Milanese style RTW (note- actual Milanese style is generally tailor or cobbler made), M. Bardelli is the perfect stop for most men's clothing.

As a milanese I fully agree. It is sad to see the kind of misrepresentation about the concept of elegance and style in Milan you can find around on the internet.

fra
(www.SW1.it)

Montesquieu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscione
I live in Milan.

Personally, I find most things there gaudy and representative of a less elegant side of Milanese dress. However, if that's what you're into, ay least they have a large selection.

The sports jackets probably aren't of a remarkably high quality. If you want to find Milanese style RTW (note- actual Milanese style is generally tailor or cobbler made), M. Bardelli is the perfect stop for most men's clothing.

Originally Posted by fra
As a milanese I fully agree. It is sad to see the kind of misrepresentation about the concept of elegance and style in Milan you can find around on the internet.

fra
(www.SW1.it)

I respect both of your local viewpoints, especially the point about misrepresentation as "Milanese" style. To my knowledge, Al Bazar does not claim that for themselves. In online articles and videos, they always claim that the styles in their store are their own. Criticism of branding them "Milanese" - whatever that is - cannot fairly be levelled on Al Bazar or its owners.

As to whether their styles are appealing, to each his own. I happen to really like what they sell. Biscione is right in saying they are "less elegant" than some other options. Al Bazar is more colorful and more oriented toward jackets (matched with either casual wear or trousers and ties) than suits. Although they sell suits, I would and do shop elsewhere in Milan for formal business attire. But for business casual, which is standard at my company, I think their selection at that price point meets or beats any store I've visited in Europe.

As for quality, you get a canvassed jacket in Zegna fabrics for roughly €650. You get a trim fitting shirt in nice fabrics with extra cuffs and collar for roughly €110. Service, breadth of selection, and depth of sizes are excellent.

I wouldn't presume to know local options or local preferences better than the locals. But I have enjoyed shopping at Al Bazar and encourage the OP to give it a try. I've also shopped at places like M. Bardelli, Eddy Monetti, and Rubinacci in Milan, and prefer them for more formal business wear.

Mr_Sweden

Reaction score
The manufacturer of their dress and casual shirts is called Guy Rover. I don't know whom else they supply.

Guy Rover also supplies MTM dress shirts for M. Bardelli.

/Mr S

fra

Reaction score
I respect both of your local viewpoints, especially the point about misrepresentation as "Milanese" style. To my knowledge, Al Bazar does not claim that for themselves. In online articles and videos, they always claim that the styles in their store are their own. Criticism of branding them "Milanese" - whatever that is - cannot fairly be levelled on Al Bazar or its owners.

As to whether their styles are appealing, to each his own. I happen to really like what they sell. Biscione is right in saying they are "less elegant" than some other options. Al Bazar is more colorful and more oriented toward jackets (matched with either casual wear or trousers and ties) than suits. Although they sell suits, I would and do shop elsewhere in Milan for formal business attire. But for business casual, which is standard at my company, I think their selection at that price point meets or beats any store I've visited in Europe.

As for quality, you get a canvassed jacket in Zegna fabrics for roughly €650. You get a trim fitting shirt in nice fabrics with extra cuffs and collar for roughly €110. Service, breadth of selection, and depth of sizes are excellent.

I wouldn't presume to know local options or local preferences better than the locals. But I have enjoyed shopping at Al Bazar and encourage the OP to give it a try. I've also shopped at places like M. Bardelli, Eddy Monetti, and Rubinacci in Milan, and prefer them for more formal business wear.

Do not get me wrong. Although it is quite some time I do not visit Al Bazaar, I am sure you can find plenty of nice and qualitative clothing there, and I am also sure items of style as I personally intend it. I was referring to the fact that the shop is very much associated with the style of his owner and the latter is considered (and as you say probably he does not claim it at all) as an example (apparently absolute) of Milanese style and elegance and not just as somebody with his own (flamboyant) style which you may like or not (a lot of people loves it, I do not, but this is a question of personal taste). It comes to a sort of cultural issue and I get a bit upset when I see on the internet Milan depicted in a way that I feel distorted, although with reference to something with very limited importance.

I hope I made myself undestood.

Kindest regards.

Fra
(www.SW1.it)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics