• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice recent grad in sales

robdlarue

Reaction score
I graduated from UC Santa Barbara in June with a degree in Neuroscience and a minor in technology entrepreneurship. Halfway through school realized my passion was entrepreneurship so I threw the plans of med school out the window. I was highly involved with the startup community in SB, and was president of the Entrepreneurs Association. I took a job at Oracle in sales 2 weeks after graduation. Out of 500 new hires, I was chosen for a division called Eloqua along with 2 others. This is Oracle's marketing automation platform and a much more "small company feel" (only 400 employees in Eloqua)- but I am essentially just doing lead gen and qualification. I don't know exactly what I want to do yet, but I am pretty sure I want to go back to a startup eventually or start my own company. There are definitely pros and cons. We are getting trained very well.. I have sandler sales training, vorsight sales training, Salesforce CRM, Eloqua, Oracle Fusion CRM, and I am learning the modern marketing and sales industry. Plus with all the prospecting, I am learning how to talk to customers and really provide a consultative sales approach and learn to listen instead of just overloading people with features and benefits. I think these are valuable skills that I would not be learning in school. On the other hand I feel like I am a nobody in a huge company doing the ***** work- cold calling. They said we will be promoted in a year to a full sales rep. I would love to hear some advice from experienced business people out there. What's it like to climb the corporate latter? Or if you could go back would you start your own business instead? Do you think this is a good starting point or should I be back in school or at a startup? I am thinking about going back to get my MBA. Just as insurance, and to collaborate with motivated students and professors on new venture projects. That is also in the back of my head.

CTLION

Reaction score

I graduated from UC Santa Barbara in June with a degree in Neuroscience and a minor in technology entrepreneurship. Halfway through school realized my passion was entrepreneurship so I threw the plans of med school out the window. I was highly involved with the startup community in SB, and was president of the Entrepreneurs Association. I took a job at Oracle in sales 2 weeks after graduation. Out of 500 new hires, I was chosen for a division called Eloqua along with 2 others. This is Oracle's marketing automation platform and a much more "small company feel" (only 400 employees in Eloqua)- but I am essentially just doing lead gen and qualification. I don't know exactly what I want to do yet, but I am pretty sure I want to go back to a startup eventually or start my own company. There are definitely pros and cons. We are getting trained very well.. I have sandler sales training, vorsight sales training, Salesforce CRM, Eloqua, Oracle Fusion CRM, and I am learning the modern marketing and sales industry. Plus with all the prospecting, I am learning how to talk to customers and really provide a consultative sales approach and learn to listen instead of just overloading people with features and benefits. I think these are valuable skills that I would not be learning in school. On the other hand I feel like I am a nobody in a huge company doing the ***** work- cold calling. They said we will be promoted in a year to a full sales rep. I would love to hear some advice from experienced business people out there. What's it like to climb the corporate latter? Or if you could go back would you start your own business instead? Do you think this is a good starting point or should I be back in school or at a startup? I am thinking about going back to get my MBA. Just as insurance, and to collaborate with motivated students and professors on new venture projects. That is also in the back of my head.

Assuming you don't start up your own business, what is your end game? What is your final destination career wise? Sales person, VP of Sales, President/CEO? Knowing that answer helps you make the next decision.

If you want to be a rep you have to ask for it. Take a stand, make a case and sell yourself. Tell the powers that be why they are losing money not having you in the field.
My first real job was a medical sales rep job. I had zero experience and was interviewing against 3 finalists with 50 years of combined experience. I won the job because I demanded it. Within 5 years I was VP of Sales at the age of 28 and I was the youngest person in the company.

My point is not to brag, my point is that people don't hand you things you have to take them. You have to sell yourself, your abilities and your upside. I don't suck up, but I do share value.

Finally in sales winning is everything..it has to be an itch that can't be scratched to be the best you have to hear no, but translate it to "no for now" assuming the sale will be made, it's just a matter of time.

I wish you the best in all you endeavors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads