• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for building a knitwear collection

Ddubs

Reaction score
I'm slowly building a knitwear collection and so far I have a navy and a grey cashmere crewneck from Colhay's, but I'm having trouble deciding what to go for next. I find having different weights of knitwear very useful and I also find navy and grey very useful colours. For that reason I'm thinking of picking up some heavier weight lambswool crewnecks also in navy and grey from Rubato. However, it does feel like I'd be buying the same thing even though obviously I'm not. Would you guys recommend getting the same colours in knitwear in a different weight, or should I branch out to different colours or something else?

lockstock

Reaction score
I have been in a similar situation to you and have found myself buying too much knitwear before reselling some and narrowing down my wardrobe. With that in mind, I think you should start with what you have now:
  • How often do you wear the items you already have? Determine which pieces you find yourself wearing often, whether they fit their purpose, and whether there is something that they are lacking, such as durability or applicability.
  • In practical terms, what do you need for your day-to-day? Determine if you need more durable items (hence choosing lambswool over cashmere for example), warmer layers for harsher weather (hence choosing cashmere over lambswool for its greater warmth), or if you need items for utility, that would be put through heavier, rougher use (hence choosing cheaper options over more expensive ones).
  • How does this fit into your overall style goals? Are you looking to evolve your style, or simply expand on what’s working? If it’s the latter, sticking with navy and grey makes sense. But if you want a fresh feel, trying new colours might add more dimension to your wardrobe.
  • In particular regarding colour (as I have fallen into that rabbithole before and still have barely worn knitwear sitting in my wardrobe) - will expanding into more colours of the same or similar item work with the rest of your outfits? Will the different colours make enough of a difference to include them in your rotation or will they feel redundant?
Unless you are going for something on discount, you are not really benefiting from getting more than what you need right now. There is no point in storing timeless knitwear in your home instead of the shop's warehouse. Would it not make greater sense to put that financial resource in clothes in different categories that would widen your outfit options?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm slowly building a knitwear collection and so far I have a navy and a grey cashmere crewneck from Colhay's, but I'm having trouble deciding what to go for next. I find having different weights of knitwear very useful and I also find navy and grey very useful colours. For that reason I'm thinking of picking up some heavier weight lambswool crewnecks also in navy and grey from Rubato. However, it does feel like I'd be buying the same thing even though obviously I'm not. Would you guys recommend getting the same colours in knitwear in a different weight, or should I branch out to different colours or something else?

You seem to prefer the classic and more understated colours, and I would agree that they are the most basic and versatile. I certainly would also buy different colours though for some variety and also different styles and weights. If you don't like or don't feel comfortable in brighter shades, there are still many subdued ones you could choose from, I think of cream, off-white, camel, beige, dark natural, dark brown, dark olive. You can add some vee-necks, sweaters or cardigans, the best option to go with a shirt and a tie, and roll necks, very practical and versatile, and polo necks, very stylish and distinctive. You can also add some texture, for example with a cable knit. A great classic is a shawl collar cardigan, you will find it in lambswool and in cashmere.

And remember, the more pieces you have, the longer they will last. Try not to wear the same sweater longer than for one day, give the knitwear the time to recover after a wear. This way you will also reduce the need to frequent washing.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like @lockstock's advice. You haven't told us anything about what kinds of outfits you envision wearing these new pieces of knitwear with. Never think of a piece of clothing in isolation as you seem to be doing in your question about whether you should get more navy and grey crewnecks.

So -- what outfits or settings?

Ddubs

Reaction score
I like @lockstock's advice. You haven't told us anything about what kinds of outfits you envision wearing these new pieces of knitwear with. Never think of a piece of clothing in isolation as you seem to be doing in your question about whether you should get more navy and grey crewnecks.

So -- what outfits or settings?
I would say I'm a bit more casual than most here and the mainstays of my outfits tend to be chinos in khaki, brown and off-white, dark selvedge jeans and sometimes lighter washes and off-white. Footwear is usually black or brown loafers, brown boots and white canvas trainers. Shirts tend to be OCBDs in solids and stripes. Then outerwear is usually long balmacaans/overcoats, jungle jacket, overshirts, suede bomber and trucker, denim jacket, Barbour jackets, chore jackets and Harrington. I don't really wear much tailoring. Sometimes a sports coat is currently the extent of things.

As for settings, for work I mainly WFH but attend a very casual office a few times a week and I am pretty much the smartest dressed. Aside from that, weekends are a bit more active/rugged. Usual activities being dancing, walking/hiking, allotment and meeting with friends usually in the closest city for eating out, coffee, cinema etc and sometimes more rural activities. Something both for the transitional seasons and winter is essential for me.

Last edited:

Johnny80

Reaction score
Then you can buy any knit you like, your style fits almost anything but fashion forward knits. As long as the knit is simple texture or not textured is perfect. Burgundy also works with your chinos off-white or depending of your shade of brown. Chunky knits works as an outwear and not with a jacket/suit, or behind an bomber jacket etc

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different colors. I built a cashmere knitwear collection recently and if you get something in the same color, you're always going to prefer one piece from the other (since both are navy, for example, you'll always wear one of them). Some other colors to consider in your knitwear collection: cream, heather gray, brown, olive, rust, in that order. Also consider other styles, such as cardigans, polos, and v-necks (if you ever wear button downs).

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for settings, for work I mainly WFH but attend a very casual office a few times a week and I am pretty much the smartest dressed. Aside from that, weekends are a bit more active/rugged. Usual activities being dancing, walking/hiking, allotment and meeting with friends usually in the closest city for eating out, coffee, cinema etc and sometimes more rural activities. Something both for the transitional seasons and winter is essential for me.
imo heavy knits work if you're going to be relatively sedentary and it's cold. If you personally run cold, then I can see them being cozy. If your office or home is an icebox, then it would be great.

But if you're going to be moving for an extended period of time (like walking or hiking) then you'll warm up in 10 minutes and a heavy sweater will be too much. I'd opt for layers for active use.

jko

Reaction score
Stick with navy and grey, don’t branch out, buy only what you need. Makes life much happier that way.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depends also on your climate. I'll be a little contrarian here and say that I only wear thin and 'smooth'-textured sweaters in more formal outfits than you're describing. So a thin V-neck cashmere sweater over a collared dress shirt, for example. With the outfits you're describing, 'fuzzy' Shetlands or coarser/textured knits work well. If you're layering, some color can add an interesting accent under a jacket like one of your Barbours. If solids - greens, browns, rust, mustard, even orange or yellow if you're feeling adventurous.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as colors go: after navy and grey, I'd go dark green and burgundy. I have lots of sweaters. I prefer them chunkier and usually shy away from cashmere or even merino wool. I wear them as my top layer - never under a sportcoat (and chunky sweaters don't belong under a sportcoat).
For crewnecks, I like the Scottish Shetlands from O'Connell's. I like sweaters from SNS Herning as they have a great texture and are very warm. I have a few Inverallen - which are very beefy and can just be too warm. I also have a few Dehen cardigans - they are very sturdy.
Take your time and only buy what you really like. If you find a great deal on a funky color - pass. You're unlikely to wear it often. The good part about sweaters is that they last a long time with minimal maintenance. The bad part is that take up a lot of room in your closet. Build your sweater wardrobe slowly.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two suggestions:

1. Cable stitch crewnck(s) I have more than a few. Very "Ivy", but that is my taste
background

2. Innis Mean type "heathered" pattern sweater. I have one in silk. I love the variation
from solid:

emptym

Reaction score
I love navy and gray too. (Go Hoyas!) But I'd branch out from crewnecks. Heavy lambswool would have about the same warmth as cashmere.

For your next sweaters, I'd go with a shawl-collared cardigan and a full zip. They'd go well with your style and activities/work, and they'd give you lots of warmth when buttoned/zipped up, under your jackets, outside, but also but also prevent you from overheating indoors.

I recommend William Lockie's shawl collared cardigan. I have a dark brown one, but it'd be great in navy or gray. Then I'd go with a full zip, not sure whom to recommend. I had a great medium gray one from J. Crew that I used for like 20 years then gave to a brother when I got a navy one from Zegna on eBay.

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmpharma