• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Thanks John Elliott!

Styleforum was one of the first digital communities to embrace John Elliott, and in recognition of that, John Elliott has extended to our comunuty a monthly discount to fans of the brand who engage here. Simply enter the code for SF-OCT-15

Check out all of their new arrivals here

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice for building a knitwear collection

jdgershbein

Reaction score
I have reinvented myself in business, which, from a style point of view, means new apparel choices to augment my brand. My latest wardrobe audit revealed a need to rethink my knitwear collection. Some sweaters on my shelves seemed like good ideas at the time, but with changing tastes and a loss of muscle mass from normal aging—today I am more a Size S than a Size M—the time was right to pare down and restock.

It is practical to have sweaters in different weights that cover a variety of climates (especially where I live). My best options are ultrafine Merino V-necks (over a shirt and underneath a suit, sports jacket, or shacket), Geelong button or zip mocks, cardigans, and rollnecks, and the occasional chunky jumper when the mercury plunges.

Magnificent knits can elevate an ensemble considerably. As the piece goods have become more expensive and manufacturers have leveled up their lines, my knitwear purchases today are more strategic. I buy for comfort, durability, versatility, and aesthetics. I also stay within my color palette—blues, browns, greens, neutrals, and the occasional burnt orange—and invest in pieces of impeccable quality. Fit, feel, and look are the triumvirate of menswear.

Ddubs

Reaction score
I have reinvented myself in business, which, from a style point of view, means new apparel choices to augment my brand. My latest wardrobe audit revealed a need to rethink my knitwear collection. Some sweaters on my shelves seemed like good ideas at the time, but with changing tastes and a loss of muscle mass from normal aging—today I am more a Size S than a Size M—the time was right to pare down and restock.

It is practical to have sweaters in different weights that cover a variety of climates (especially where I live). My best options are ultrafine Merino V-necks (over a shirt and underneath a suit, sports jacket, or shacket), Geelong button or zip mocks, cardigans, and rollnecks, and the occasional chunky jumper when the mercury plunges.

Magnificent knits can elevate an ensemble considerably. As the piece goods have become more expensive and manufacturers have leveled up their lines, my knitwear purchases today are more strategic. I buy for comfort, durability, versatility, and aesthetics. I also stay within my color palette—blues, browns, greens, neutrals, and the occasional burnt orange—and invest in pieces of impeccable quality. Fit, feel, and look are the triumvirate of menswear.
Thank you for your response.

When you say durability and aesthetics, in what sense do you mean if you don't mind me asking? Do you stear clear of cashmere for example due to its fragility comparatively to other fibres?

Harwid

Reaction score
I have not had any wear issues with cashmere. I do have plenty of sweaters so they are not worn too frequently.

I would instead look at the weight and construction of any sweater material. In the past I have had RLPL sweaters that were so thin I worried about damaging them putting them on or taking them off.

Jeff

jdgershbein

Reaction score
Thank you for your response.

When you say durability and aesthetics, in what sense do you mean if you don't mind me asking? Do you stear clear of cashmere for example due to its fragility comparatively to other fibres?
Hi Ddubs, I suppose I should have mentioned I am always on the lookout for quality cashmere pieces. Some time ago, I had to let go of several inexpensive Hart Schaffner & Marx V-necks that did not transition well. Otherwise, my selections have held up beautifully and, as you would expect, survived my last closet audit. I also have a few cashmere blends (90% merino) that have vaulted to the top of my rotation.

On a related note, I also have one sweater cut with yak fiber, which is not the most aesthetic garment I own, but man, does it keep me warm!

Featured Sponsor

How Do You Feel About Pleated Trousers?

• Love them, classic!

• Occasionally, depending on the outfit

• Prefer flat-front

• Never wear them

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
limacolleee