• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions.

NickyEyes

Reaction score
I sized down 2, from 32 to 30 on the PS.

It was almost unbearably tight at first, but they do stretch out pretty darn fast.

I have come to learn that I don't like tight or restrictive jeans, so on my next pair i will only size down 1.

everybody is different.

raonxwxo

Reaction score
1) My latest APC (NS) were made in Macau, previous NS were made in Tunisia.

2) The quality has decreased somewhat throughout the line in the last year or so, definitely. There were some missed stitches and the denim seems to be fraying near the hem (where the bunched leg brushes against the other when walking) earlier than my older NS. And the "old" standards and Anglaises seemed more durable still.
3) The new "Straights" still say "Rescue" on the tag. APC has some wires crossed, permanently, it seems.

Last edited:

dgold

Reaction score
This is kind of a general fit question:

For those that have sized down 2 or 3 sizes, I understand that the waist will stretch quite a bit, plus there is the vanity sizing. For those that started out with jeans where you could not say button up the top button or maybe could barely get it buttoned, how did the jeans fit at the thighs before stretching? ie was the fit in the legs and thighs comfortable but the waist too small, which later stretched?

Thanks!

1airjordan 23ko

Reaction score
The APC black chelsea boots are so nice!
Anyone know where I can find a US size 8 preferably or 8.5 ? I think they are old...
If anyone has em hit me up with a pm

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
guys, there's a 2 inch vanity size to begin with. So if you have a 30' waist, then a '28' tagged jean already has a 30' waist to begin with, so assuming it'll stretch out at least an inch, you generally size down one for there. Whenever I buy trousers like khakies, in North America, I buy a '28' tagged pant. With jeans I generally buy a 27 so they'll stretch an inch. With APC's, I usually go down one more, ie a 26. In some rare cases like say with my Nudies, it depends on the cut, so my Slim Jims I do a 28 because they're already tight enough, but on a Thin Finn, they're so damn skinny I even size up 1 to a 29 (that's rare though)

NickyEyes

Reaction score

This is kind of a general fit question:

For those that have sized down 2 or 3 sizes, I understand that the waist will stretch quite a bit, plus there is the vanity sizing. For those that started out with jeans where you could not say button up the top button or maybe could barely get it buttoned, how did the jeans fit at the thighs before stretching? ie was the fit in the legs and thighs comfortable but the waist too small, which later stretched?

Thanks!
sized down 2. couldn't button the top button for the first week or so.

waist stretched out pretty quickly after that. thighs, calves, and crotch loosened a bit, but were never really comfortable for me.

NickyEyes

Reaction score

guys, there's a 2 inch vanity size to begin with. So if you have a 30' waist, then a '28' tagged jean already has a 30' waist to begin with, so assuming it'll stretch out at least an inch, you generally size down one for there. Whenever I buy trousers like khakies, in North America, I buy a '28' tagged pant. With jeans I generally buy a 27 so they'll stretch an inch. With APC's, I usually go down one more, ie a 26. In some rare cases like say with my Nudies, it depends on the cut, so my Slim Jims I do a 28 because they're already tight enough, but on a Thin Finn, they're so damn skinny I even size up 1 to a 29 (that's rare though)
definitely not 100% true. theres no way mine were vanity sized up 2, i couldn't even really get them on in the beginning.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

definitely not 100% true. theres no way mine were vanity sized up 2, i couldn't even really get them on in the beginning.

He's correct, quit confusing your normal tagged size with your waist measurement.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Nicky, yeah, I don't know what you think I mean here... This is pretty standard stuff. In North America, most brands are 2 inches vanity sized. My waist is about 30 inches, all my pants are marked a '28' size. Jeans go one more down becuase their fabric stretches. This is really simple. The only issue I have is when I buy European brands which measure true to size, in which case I buy a tagged '30'.

NickyEyes

Reaction score

Nicky, yeah, I don't know what you think I mean here... This is pretty standard stuff. In North America, most brands are 2 inches vanity sized. My waist is about 30 inches, all my pants are marked a '28' size. Jeans go one more down becuase their fabric stretches. This is really simple. The only issue I have is when I buy European brands which measure true to size, in which case I buy a tagged '30'.
but what about APC is north american?

filcol

Reaction score
The biggest problem with all that sizing is that there are multiple references people size down from. There are three ways:

- size down from their ACTUAL waist size ( = size measured around the _SLIMMEST_ part of your upper body, a few inches above the navel)
- size down from the hip size, which is where the jeans will actually sit, but which is not the real waist
- size down from the size they usually wear, which can be very different between brands

My waist size for example is around 29.5" and I wear a 29, which is pretty tight. So I guess tagged APC equals my waist size for the perfect fit (again, WAIST size, not hip size, where the jeans sit).
My worn in APC pair of 29s measures 32,5", it strechted out 1,5". It's also important to note that the waist size is less important than many people think. I have pants that have a smaller waist size but fit much looser and more comfortable. Especially with the PS it is the rise and the thighs that will determine how your pair will fit.

I pretty much wear the same size in APC as in other denim, maybe -1. I wear 30 in Levis, 29 in Dior, 29 in Rick.
I'm still thinking about sizing up to 30 because it still feels very ristricting. Personally, I can't imagine sizing down 3 like some of you guys. I once had a pair of PS in 27 and I couldn't even fit my feet through the hole.

Patrick Chan

Reaction score
The biggest problem with all that sizing is that there are multiple references people size down from. There are three ways:

- size down from their ACTUAL waist size ( = size measured around the _SLIMMEST_ part of your upper body, a few inches above the navel)
- size down from the hip size, which is where the jeans will actually sit, but which is not the real waist
- size down from the size they usually wear, which can be very different between brands

My waist size for example is around 29.5" and I wear a 29, which is pretty tight. So I guess tagged APC equals my waist size for the perfect fit (again, WAIST size, not hip size, where the jeans sit).
My worn in APC pair of 29s measures 32,5", it strechted out 1,5". It's also important to note that the waist size is less important than many people think. I have pants that have a smaller waist size but fit much looser and more comfortable. Especially with the PS it is the rise and the thighs that will determine how your pair will fit.

I pretty much wear the same size in APC as in other denim, maybe -1. I wear 30 in Levis, 29 in Dior, 29 in Rick.
I'm still thinking about sizing up to 30 because it still feels very ristricting. Personally, I can't imagine sizing down 3 like some of you guys. I once had a pair of PS in 27 and I couldn't even fit my feet through the hole.

This. It comes up time and again, and I'm still baffled as to how people are squiggling into their little petite jeans, it's pretty ridiculous. It really all depends on your body type--judging by those that fit into 27, 28, and 29s, their entire bodies are likely to be a lot skinnier and more probably fitting when it comes to how the PS/PNS are supposed to fit according to proportions. But when bigger guys like myself, (true waist 33), our proportions are less scaled to the PS/PNS, so if you are looking to wear those fits, you're almost certainly going to have to size closer to TTS, or I would personally say at most 1 size down. The limiting factor with the PS/PNS is usually the top block--I can fit two hands in my PNS 33, but my top block and thighs barely fit comfortably.

So when it comes down to it--it's hard to say until you put them on. But, you can "guess" with some more reliable results if you evaluate your body type before you purchase.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
well ok, I guess just go into a store and fit them on! oh, right, this is the internet. You're probably asking sizing questions because you're ordering online...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads