• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A nice backpack with a suit?

Renton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'd try experimental back surgery before I ever wore a backpack with a suit.

Can you not hire a man-servant to carry your briefcase for you?

jester.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Personally I am anti anything hanging from my shoulder while wearing a suit. Not only does it put unnecessary wear on the suit it just doesn't look professional regardless of how "dressy" the bag may be. I carry my brief in one hand and coffee in the other. When it rains I get irritated and fumble around a lot with an umbrella.
plain.gif

cufflinked

Reaction score
Thanks for all the constructive comments. Well, I definitely gave up the idea of the combination suit+backpack
bigstar[1].gif

They definitely do not go together (sorry, didn't see any pics before), and I must admit that this thread was not the best idea to start on SF as a new member
smile.gif

I'll settle with my current briefcase and messenger bag. I like most of the proposed solutions; I'll bookmark them for the future.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
palmer-and-sons-leather-rucksack-no-18-700-00.jpg

I fully expect these dudes to put straps on a ******* steamer trunk next.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanAesthetics
One of the worst looks for men. Find yourself a briefcase or a even a rucksack would be a more sophisticated option than a backpacks...
I thought "rucksack" and "backpack" were pretty much synonymous. Whatever you call it, it looks like holy hell with a suit or sport coat and is injurious to the garment. Out of curiosity, when did backpacks become standard issue for students? In my day, they were strictly for the mountains. Methinks the practice of students lugging their books around in backpacks may have come into vogue with the Earth Day/Whole Earth Catalog sensibility of the early '70s.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cufflinked
They definitely do not go together (sorry, didn't see any pics before), and I must admit that this thread was not the best idea to start on SF as a new member
smile.gif

it's ok. you'll be indoctrinated before you know it. one day you're going to look back at this thread and cringe, and then wonder where the three years went and how the hell you've found 8,000 things to post.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Out of curiosity, when did backpacks become standard issue for students? In my day, they were strictly for the mountains. Methinks the practice of students lugging their books around in backpacks may have come into vogue with the Earth Day/Whole Earth Catalog sensibility of the early '70s.

What did you guys carry your books around in? Or did you have them held together with a leather belt?

either/or

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
[...] one day you're going to look back at this thread and cringe, and then wonder where the three years went and how the hell you've found 8,000 things to post.

-now I like your avatar even better.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Not to mention really annoying on a crowded subway.

People who wear backpacks on public transit should be dragged outside and shot.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
People who wear backpacks on public transit should be dragged outside and shot.
I do all the time. But then again, I don't turn suddenly or forget that there is a giant thing on my back. So what I think you mean is that people who are clueless and discourteous regarding the things they are carrying should be dragged outside and shot. Capiche?
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I thought "rucksack" and "backpack" were pretty much synonymous. Whatever you call it, it looks like holy hell with a suit or sport coat and is injurious to the garment. Out of curiosity, when did backpacks become standard issue for students? In my day, they were strictly for the mountains. Methinks the practice of students lugging their books around in backpacks may have come into vogue with the Earth Day/Whole Earth Catalog sensibility of the early '70s.
We carry more books, I presume, Jan. This semester, I am carrying two casebooks and one statutory supplement. Each is just as thick is your average telephone book, and around 2/3 the size of its plan dimensions. Also, I carry a 1/2" three ring binder, and my little netbook, which is about the smallest laptop you can buy. I really don't know how else I could carry all of that (though, 9/10 I am carrying it in my backpack as a briefcase). ~H

Troilus

Reaction score
Josh Leyman did it in West Wing. Of course, I think it was one of Aaron Sorkin's devices intended to make the non-Rob Lowe characters appear more disheveled.

josh_lyman_with_backpack.jpg

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
Aside from the appearance of it, I would never subject the shoulder(s) of a good suit to any type of strap. They are the most important part of the suit regarding fit, and the hardest to fix if something is screwed up.

Further, I agree with the posters above who talk about the rudeness of wearing a backpack on a crowded subway.....

legeartis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by legeartis
As it seems we can't talk you out of getting a backpack (suit and backpack is a little like wearing bowtie and sweatpants - it's more or less impossible to pull off), I'll try and be a bit more constructive.

I believe it needs to be nice quality leather without too much stuff going on in front (pockets etc.) Visible zippers are also undesirable. To be honest, I haven't really seen one that I think would work (however, I haven't really been looking).

Anyway, Saddleback makes one, but it might look a little on the rough side.
sbl.jpg

You could also try and pull off the Palmer and Sons backpack
smile.gif

palmer-and-sons-leather-rucksack-no-18-700-00.jpg

The brown one here also looks quite nice, but I have no idea what brand it is: http://hubpages.com/hub/-Leather-Backpack

Here's another one (from customhide)... Just for the record: I still haven't seen anyone pull it off....
Classic-backpack-Laptop-Whiskey.jpg

http://www.customhide.com/classic_laptop_backpack.html

duration

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads