• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

3 button suits really out of style?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well David Reeve's stuff is just more "true-3". Neapolitan stuff isn't. What you're saying is you like true 3 button suits. I on the other hand, don't like true 3 suits that much. There's no beauty to the roll of the lapel. I like a roll. Seeing the buttonhole is a thing of beauty, especially when it is a hand made buttonhole. It's lapel candy.

Last edited:

MisterFu

Reaction score
I say three button or one button. Two buttons are lame, imo. They are too common, vanilla. Plus, a two button suit with a nice roll to the lapel just looks weird, whereas a one or two button just looks more balanced to my eye.
I agree with you that the three button or one button (I love my one buttons, peak lapel with double breasted waistcoats) are more interesting, but they are fraught with peril. There is no way to do a one or three button sloppily and have it be even remotely acceptable anywhere. Put another way, any slob can slap on a two button suit from Jos.A.Bank and look somewhat presentable even if everything doesn't fit quite right. But, a 3 button that isn't cut well and doesn't fit well looks really, really terrible. A one button done poorly can be even more catastrophic; the more exotic the suit, the more important that it's done well. Given that you have 27,500+ posts on SF, you probably know how to do it well.

vida

Reaction score

Well David Reeve's stuff is just more "true-3". Neapolitan stuff isn't. What you're saying is you like true 3 button suits. I on the other hand, don't like true 3 suits that much. There's no beauty to the roll of the lapel. I like a roll. Seeing the buttonhole is a thing of beauty, especially when it is a hand made buttonhole. It's lapel candy.

Yes, that is what I'm getting at...the "true-3". However, I do agree with the beauty of a hand made buttonhole.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are so many variables that blanket statements don't work. Looking at these forums for ten to fifteen years, let's say, buttons holes on the roll, most are clumsily done from the British, haven't seen any Italian that I care for either. Why don't I like them? The lapel roll is so wimpy and the button holes are to stiff. Better made lapels and buttonholes that flows with the roll of the lapel and placed there as a good work of art, because that is what it is supposed to be, and not the sloppy stuff produced today.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, that comes with the age of the garment ^

Show us sloppy vs. nice. I don't get what you're saying.

Last edited:

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
I think that DB and hard 3Bs are so difficult to fit well off the wrack that if you're going that route, you should go bespoke if you can afford it. If you like 2Bs, on the other hand, you can do just fine with off the wrack purchases and a good tailor to tidy things up. That's how I roll. 2Bs primarily from RLBL. 3Bs and DBs from Will Field in Georgetown. His 3B silhouette is very much like those posted from David Reeves. Classically British ... very close to the Henry Poole's look.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that DB and hard 3Bs are so difficult to fit well off the wrack that if you're going that route, you should go bespoke if you can afford it. If you like 2Bs, on the other hand, you can do just fine with off the wrack purchases and a good tailor to tidy things up. That's how I roll. 2Bs primarily from RLBL. 3Bs and DBs from Will Field in Georgetown. His 3B silhouette is very much like those posted from David Reeves. Classically British ... very close to the Henry Poole's look.
The reason an individual would spend money on bespoke is because that individual wants the garment to be their own, and I'd say, unless you care less, you should ALWAYS go to a tailor for suit, regardless of suit types.

Moreover, a two button suit should fit very well, or else, off the rack two button suits can still make someone look really hideous.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True 3 takes away much of the shirt and thus cover up too much of the needed contrast, therefore it makes the suit boring.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I on the other hand, don't like true 3 suits that much. There's no beauty to the roll of the lapel. I like a roll."

A nice roll can be put easy when custom.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads