• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2nd Vehicle. Civic vs. Mini vs. Rabbit

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get a second car and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on the list of cars that I have. I am looking for something small in size and on the gas. Manual. Nothing fancy, but if it is fast (relative to its price), that's a big plus. I am looking for $30k CDN and under. I am going to buy within the next 2 weeks or so. It will be siting mostly, just used in case we need to run errands for family to use when needed. Honda Civic http://www.honda.ca/HondaCA2006/Bui...9&WebsessionID={5776C2C0-D9C0-485F-B3DF-77CC349ED849}# Mini Cooper http://www.mini.ca/en/Model_Range/M...NI/default.aspx VW Rabbit http://www.vw.ca/vwcms/master_publi...it_5_doors.html

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would say a mini because it's probably the most fun to drive, but if your other car is a bmw or something, you may just want somethign with super-cheap maintenance and no hassles, in which case a civic is a no-brainer.

dave

Reaction score
mini. hands down.

I looked at all 3 a few years ago (decided on something altogether different) and was this >< close to ordering a mini. only problem was lead time for the orders back then was around 3-4 months and I couldn't wait.

even if you look past the style benefits (and I don't know why you would) the mini is in the ballpark price-wise and holds its value FAR better over the long haul. the S is lots of fun but as far as a base model goes the cooper is MILES ahead of anything else in its class imo.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my current car is a 2005 4runner V8. It is lifted 3 inches with 32" all terrain tires on Procomp rims, magnaflow exhaust and brush guard.

So we are leaning towards a civic. Low maintenance and no problems...

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
mini. hands down.

I looked at all 3 a few years ago (decided on something altogether different) and was this >< close to ordering a mini. only problem was lead time for the orders back then was around 3-4 months and I couldn't wait.

even if you look past the style benefits (and I don't know why you would) the mini is in the ballpark price-wise and holds its value FAR better over the long haul. the S is lots of fun but as far as a base model goes the cooper is MILES ahead of anything else in its class imo.

Only problem is my wife is concerned about the reliability. My father had a benz and had problems, my father have a 5 series and had problems, my sister had an audi and had problems. We want something without reliability issues and easy on the maintenance.

Asterix

Reaction score
Of the ones you listed, the Civic is the low maintenance car.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if I go with a Honda I can get most of the maintenance free because I know the service manager. I can also get the cars at a discounted rate... Dont know by how much, but a good deal, none the less..

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Well, if I go with a Honda I can get most of the maintenance free because I know the service manager. I can also get the cars at a discounted rate... Dont know by how much, but a good deal, none the less..

Seriously, while you're at the Honda dealership, at least take a Fit for a test drive. They're cheaper, and a lot more fun.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Civic SI's are a lot of fun....

I have a '99 SI as a second car to my Bimmer, and I love driving it.

turboman808

Reaction score
If you told me your other car was a corvette then I would say just get the chepaest car for transport you can. Since it sound like you got a fun car for off roading but nothing for on road I would go with the mini. May be a bit more to run but really the only small car in north america with style.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Seriously, while you're at the Honda dealership, at least take a Fit for a test drive. They're cheaper, and a lot more fun.

Is there any aftermarket for the Fit? I dont mean "tune" it like a ricer, but just some go fast parts..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads