• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

100 yrs

Reaction score

The strikeouts for the Braves won't matter this season. I tend to think that big picture strikeouts aren't as big a deal as people say (an out is an out) and that we attach more weight to them because they show the futility of an at bat but its an argument I'm less wedded to. As opposed to say, the absurd notion that a set closer is a truly important player.

i agree with that, but it'll be frustrating if they fail to make "productive" outs. for example, moving a man from 2nd to 3rd by grounding out to the right side of the infield. also you put more pressure on the defense by putting the ball in play. they'll probably also go into a lot of deep counts so that's good. and hit a ton of homers.

side note: for anyone considering mlb.tv, i highly recommend it (if you are out of market of course, the blackout rules blow). i am a native georgian living in seattle and am a huge braves fan (i also follow the mariners but not nearly as closely). mlb.tv works almost perfectly for me.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Cain looking good today. Got a feeling Lincecum is going to suck again this season...

I'll take 1-0 0.00 and 2.00 WHIP. Reminds me of Max a couple years back.

This really bothered me but the AP had a preview of the season but they had a graph titled like VORP vs RBI or something and they were like "the debate between sabermatricians and traditionalists continues to get louder. More listening less talking and there would be realization there is plenty of ground in the middle." The problem is that there really isn't that much ground in the middle. There is a continuing and growing realization that the old narrative-driven statistics don't tell much at all. And when (no offense) you have people like Steve B. spouting off incorrect analyses of the stats it makes things even more difficult.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sabermetrics realizes the inherent difficulty in quantifying player performance and what it is trying to do is isolate certain factors and get as precise as possible with its measurements.

ANd thankfully, the last propagators of poor analysis are old media types and literally dying. Well, there are them and lazy beat writers. But ****, whatever.

Explanation:

I did SO BAD in Fantasy last year that I bought Baseball Digest because of Nate Silver. Guess I still haven't wrapped my fragile egg shell mind around it.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Cain looking good today. Got a feeling Lincecum is going to suck again this season...

This really bothered me but the AP had a preview of the season but they had a graph titled like VORP vs RBI or something and they were like "the debate between sabermatricians and traditionalists continues to get louder. More listening less talking and there would be realization there is plenty of ground in the middle." The problem is that there really isn't that much ground in the middle. There is a continuing and growing realization that the old narrative-driven statistics don't tell much at all. And when (no offense) you have people like Steve B. spouting off incorrect analyses of the stats it makes things even more difficult.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sabermetrics realizes the inherent difficulty in quantifying player performance and what it is trying to do is isolate certain factors and get as precise as possible with its measurements.

ANd thankfully, the last propagators of poor analysis are old media types and literally dying. Well, there are them and lazy beat writers. But ****, whatever.

Explanation:

I did SO BAD in Fantasy last year that I bought Baseball Digest because of Nate Silver. Guess I still haven't wrapped my fragile egg shell mind around it.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Explanation:

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score

Explanation:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading to my first game of the year tonight. Phils looking really ****** so far. But....DOLLAR DOG NIGHT!!! :slayer::slayer::slayer:

Not gonna give up on the season seven games in, but it's tough for me to see how this ends well. Hoping for Ryne Sandberg to be promoted to manager next year (and for a new GM, while I'm asking).

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BRB booking flight to Detroit

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not mine but from Reddit. $5 seems worth it.

5B697498-FD05-4169-A5DE-AAA27DBB6F09-10931-000004869646479E.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads