• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2017 MLB Season Thread

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I can't think of any technology that would have been able to make a definitive call on that play.

Really? How about the exact same technology they use on the tennis net to tell whether it was a let?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure some sort of camera positioned correctly can detect that.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Really? How about the exact same technology they use on the tennis net to tell whether it was a let?

Somebody could easily throw something at the pole and trip that system. It also may not work on something as solid as a pole. The old school way of telling lets was to have a finger on the net cord, maybe someone can always have a hand on the pole?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone think verlander throws a complete game shut out tomorrow?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see the future, the Yankees will be facing elimination in game 4 and will be down 8 to 0 entering the 8 inning, at that point ARod hits a HR.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would love to sit behind the plate for a Verlander night. That guy is unreal. Sitting back there and seeing the movement on pitches gives you a whole new appreciation for the game too.

Last edited:

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A-Rod does tend to do well in situations that don't really require it (blowouts to either side).

^there's precedence to that. its always been rumored that Arod was "friends" aka maybe even paying on the side of latino shortstops/2nd basemen from opposing teams tipping pitches from way before (arod would of course do the same for the other player when he was at bat). Hence his weird trend of hitting HRs in non-factor situations (since its not too bad to mess with the sanctity of the game in those situations).

from a NY Times article no less: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/opinion/06glanville-tipping.html?_r=0

So, according to the latest story, Alex is connected to some pitch-tipping scheme in which he relayed signs to the opposing hitter (if he was a friend) or for someone who would return the favor when he was hitting. This was supposedly done in one-sided games where, in theory, one team had no chance of catching up. Alex was said to be in cahoots with a lot of middle infielders. Allegedly, there was some sign he would relay to the hitter — a movement with his glove or his feet — to let the hitter know what type of pitch was coming and where.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would love to sit behind the plate for a Verlander night. That guy is unreal. Sitting back there and seeing the movement on pitches gives you a whole new appreciation for the game too.

its really trip-y to sit behind home with a knuckler.... I watched wakefield pitch in Oakland Coliseum when it was windy in 2007. I think he had 10Ks in 8inn with 3 hits and still lost (all HRs).... but everyone was laughing at the wiffleball movement of the pitches.

I saw dickey this year at Citi field (bring your pets to the park day no less).... less movement... but better command (this year at least).

I've seen pedro in 1999 during a 14k game in Minnesota. I think he had the batters so on edge that one jumped out of the batters box thinking he was going to be beaned (two pitches earlier was a 94mph heater up and in).... only it was a 80mph change-up looped up towards the batter then floated in an landed in for a strike... even the home plate umpire was laughing.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

unfortunately it will be Scherzer and CC. still a heavyweight bout. too bad it isn't Verlander.

i was lucky enough to ALMOST see his no hitter against the pirates this year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads