• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2014 College Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last week I predicted Kiffin's days were numbered at USC. Last night, the home-game crowd was chanting "Fire Kiffin!" at the end of the Trojan's upset loss to WSU.

I seriously doubt the Trojans will even finish the season bowl-eligible.

Hahahah. I was at SC today visiting friends and they had "Fire Lane" (as in the no parking sign) stickers all over campus including on that stupid statue.

No pass longer than 8 yards is pure comedy.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the wronghorns have fired manny "the second coming" Diaz already.BZZZZZT
Which coach is the most logical choice to replace Mack Brown?
They're going to throw some SERIOUS. *******. MONEY. at someone. I would absolutely love to see them getting into a bidding war with Bama over Saban - it would be so fun to watch.

The coming "How do we get rid of Mack and who do we get to replace him?" crisis at UT is going to be insanely entertaining.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It doesn't take much to be bowl eligible. I wouldn't be shocked to see a 7-5 or 6-6 season followed by a bowl loss, though.

It's harder in the pac-12, where you play 9 conference games, and you already lost at home to one of the worst teams in the conference. Also, USC's remaining non-conference games are, Boston College, Utah State, and Notre Dame*. So not really cupcakes for non conference foes.

* They get to play 13 regular season games because they played at Hawaii.

Last edited:

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The coming "How do we get rid of Mack and who do we get to replace him?" crisis at UT is going to be insanely entertaining.

I've been in austin since right after he was hired and it's always entertaining. There are many people who see through him and recognize his ineptitude. There are also a bunch of ******* homers who have no clue and always try to shift the blame to his staff. Diaz got thrown under the bus and I feel bad for him. Mack has fostered a ***** culture and his team is comprised of a bunch of cream puffs who quit when things get tough.

It's glaringly obvious that the problem with their program starts at the top (Dodds included). Mack was a ****** coach before he was saved by Vince Young/Colt McCoy, and he's been a ****** coach ever since they left.

I can't see Saban wanting to come to Austin for 2 big reasons:

1. He wants complete control of his program and that ain't gonna happen at Texas. Too many cooks in the kitchen in most things here in Texas (see Jerry Jones, et al). It's a statewide mentality.

2. He's old and he finally has a program built to his specs. I can't see why he'd want to throw that away and start from scratch, even with the promise of more money. Plus, I think he prefers SEC style football and doesn't want to go **** with a bunch of cutesy spread offense ****. On top of that, there are too many happy-hippy-yogacycle fuckwits here and his head would explode.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The hot coaching prospects for a school like Texas are not coaches at other established powers. They're the coaches of traditionally second-tier schools that have moved their school into the top tier. Think Louisville coach Charlie Strong.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The hot coaching prospects for a school like Texas are not coaches at other established powers. They're the coaches of traditionally second-tier schools that have moved their school into the top tier. Think Louisville coach Charlie Strong.

Yes, agreed, and I also agree with grundletaint that it's almost impossible to picture Saban going to Texas, mostly for the reasons he listed. My first thought when someone mentioned the possibility of Saban going anywhere was, "why in the world would he leave Alabama at 60+ years old when he's built an empire in Tuscaloosa?"

I know football is a big deal in Texas; it's a big deal here in Georgia, too. But I don't think anyone who doesn't live right next door can quite grasp what Crimson Tide football means to Alabamans. It's next level, and I can't see any reason Saban would give up what he has for another college job.

Last edited:

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting bit of trivia I saw in an article:

For the first time since Sept. 11, 1976, Texas, USC, Florida and Notre Dame all lost on the same day.

Also, only one of those teams lost to a then-ranked opponent.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been in austin since right after he was hired and it's always entertaining. There are many people who see through him and recognize his ineptitude. There are also a bunch of ******* homers who have no clue and always try to shift the blame to his staff. Diaz got thrown under the bus and I feel bad for him. Mack has fostered a ***** culture and his team is comprised of a bunch of cream puffs who quit when things get tough.

It's glaringly obvious that the problem with their program starts at the top (Dodds included). Mack was a ****** coach before he was saved by Vince Young/Colt McCoy, and he's been a ****** coach ever since they left.

I can't see Saban wanting to come to Austin for 2 big reasons:

1. He wants complete control of his program and that ain't gonna happen at Texas. Too many cooks in the kitchen in most things here in Texas (see Jerry Jones, et al). It's a statewide mentality.

2. He's old and he finally has a program built to his specs. I can't see why he'd want to throw that away and start from scratch, even with the promise of more money. Plus, I think he prefers SEC style football and doesn't want to go **** with a bunch of cutesy spread offense ****. On top of that, there are too many happy-hippy-yogacycle fuckwits here and his head would explode.

The only thing that would make Saban go to Texas is $. He could basically name any outrageous amount and they would pay it. I'm talking like $12M+ a year and Texas would pay it without blinking.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just Googled Nick Saban to see what his current salary is, and the first link that came up was "Report: Nick Saban to visit Texas" at SI. I thought, "no way" and clicked the link, which led me to a 404 error. Then I Googled "nick saban visit texas," and the first link was again the SI article, followed by a more recent article from Awful Announcing entitled "SI.com takes Saban to Texas joke as news" :laugh:

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's actually kind of hilarious. (link)

Granted Finebaum's tweet doesn't read as sarcastic at first glance, but this is when logic is a helpful thing. Saban and Alabama are playing A&M in Texas this weekend.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just wanted to commend you two on your solid work this week in the SF pick 'em.

On account of my ability to make it all the way to week two without failing to submit my picks, Uga IX's Brown Spots has jumped out to a commanding lead. :slayer:

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn it. This is what I get for not bothering to figure out how to have it send updates to my gmail address.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It doesn't take much to be bowl eligible. I wouldn't be shocked to see a 7-5 or 6-6 season followed by a bowl loss, though.

I don't think so. Unless Kiffin can really turn this team around, I predict the Trojans will finish no better than 3-9 or 4-8.

This might well be their worst season since 1957, when they finished 1-9.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've been in austin since right after he was hired and it's always entertaining. There are many people who see through him and recognize his ineptitude. There are also a bunch of ******* homers who have no clue and always try to shift the blame to his staff. Diaz got thrown under the bus and I feel bad for him. Mack has fostered a ***** culture and his team is comprised of a bunch of cream puffs who quit when things get tough.It's glaringly obvious that the problem with their program starts at the top (Dodds included). Mack was a ****** coach before he was saved by Vince Young/Colt McCoy, and he's been a ****** coach ever since they left.

Jesus, yes.

I've been saying that since he was coach at UNC. He recruited great talent, then coached them to be good. That's why he never won an ACC title, and that was back in the easy days, when you could just about coast to a title by not losing to Clemson.

The only reason the Longhorns won a National Title is because Vince Young wouldn't let them roll over and die in the fourth quarter. He turned all Brown's ****** busted plays into gold and carried that team to a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members