• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed

Arthur PE

Reaction score
I support a system where house, car, and education should not be financed... With current prices staying the same... It would push a lot of kids to go to trade school so we don't pay $100/hr for a plumber and $80/hr for a car mechanic.
America's over utilization of credit is a major issue. Yes it gives many people opportunities but it's a double edged sword that no one wants to admit.
There should be talent and merit based state provided grants for the genius level kids who are truly gifted
Need based grants should be eliminated and affirmative action should be also diminished.
In my opinion, this is the best way to reform the education system

clueless
how can a middle class kid supposed to go to school without a loan?
cost for a good state school 20-25k per year, minimum
how is an 18 year supposed to come up with 100k cash?

and how is one to buy a 300k home cash? when they are 50?

you have no idea how silly you sound, how arrogent...
the educational system sure as hell has failed you

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cost for a good state school 20-25k per year, minimum

Uh....what? If you're out of state, maybe. Otherwise, plenty are ~10k/yr.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
Uh....what? If you're out of state, maybe. Otherwise, plenty are ~10k/yr.

state resident
tuition at PSU is 15k/year fresh/soph 17k jr/sr
fees 1k (activity, IT, etc.) mandatory
room 4 to 6k
meals 4k mid-level (mandatory with on campus room)

24k to 28k

Last edited:

Arthur PE

Reaction score
Cal U (small state school), lower tier

state resident
tuition 7k
fees 1k
room 6-8k
meals 3-5k

17k to 21k

Last edited:

Arthur PE

Reaction score
U of Pittsburgh, state associated/partially funded school

state resident
tuition 15-17k depending on major
fees 1k
room 5-6k
meals 3.5-5k

24 to 29k

none include books
laundry
etc.

Last edited:

Arthur PE

Reaction score
Last edited:

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
• Recent increases in federal grants and tax benefits raised average total aid above the average tuition price of community colleges. Thus, the typical community college student got the cost of tuition and most textbooks fully covered.

• Fewer than 12% of private college students pay those schools' high sticker prices. Fully 88% of all freshmen at private universities received scholarships to reduce their costs, according to a recent survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers. Private college students receive, on average, $15,530 in scholarships and federal tax benefits, reducing their average net cost to $26,700, the College Board found.

• Fewer than half of all public university students pay the full sticker price to attend. Federal surveys show at least 52% of all students at public four-year universities receive scholarships or grants. Aid, not counting loans or campus jobs, brought the net tuition paid by the average student at a typical public university to about $2,500, the College Board estimates. That brings the total average net cost of a year on campus (including dorm, books, travel and living expenses) to $11,400.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
Quote:
average
state school
1/2 got aid. 1/2 did not
so 1/2 paid the full price
avg tuition drops from 21k to 11k or ~50%

since the avg household income is ~50k
I'm guessing the 1/2 that got the aid are <50k, and got most of the aid
that means a family making more than 50k got much less, if any aid (the upper half)
either that or the poor do not go to college
if they do, the bottom 25% get most ALL the aid, and go for free, and those above very little

Last edited:

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That cost isn't average tuition, it's average total cost. The average for tuition alone at a public school is "only" $8200.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
That cost isn't average tuition, it's average total cost. The average for tuition alone at a public school is "only" $8200.

average total cost is 21k
when aid is factored in the avg drops to 11k
but only 1/2 get aid
so the 1/2 that gets it, gets almost all of it, and the 1/2 that doesn't, gets none and pays the 21k

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well let's put this to the test. Will have my undergrad in finance finished in a month and started sending out resumes today. Have 5 years of business experience in transportation engineering writing government approved traffic analyses so my work experience is far superior than most all other graduates. We'll see if that works in my favor. We'll see how that job hunt goes....

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's timing luck and hard work, duh. I graduated from a state school (UTexas) in 2001 with a BS in biology. Not exactly a clear career path but certainly a technical degree that I worked hard to get. I got on easily with a pharma company in sales (they were hiring anybody back then). Fast forward 9 years I make a very comfortable living having been promoted. Someone with my background could not have gotten my career path if they graduated now.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Well let's put this to the test. Will have my undergrad in finance finished in a month and started sending out resumes today. Have 5 years of business experience in transportation engineering writing government approved traffic analyses so my work experience is far superior than most all other graduates. We'll see if that works in my favor. We'll see how that job hunt goes....

Work those connections like a streetwalker trying to make quota, because blindly sending out resumes is a suckers game.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads