• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

How does one "give up" a job search? Don't you continue to go on until something falls on your lap, incrementally accepting lower and lower standards? Or do they just decide to become homeless?

"Mom? Dad? Where do you keep the peanut butter?"

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does one "give up" a job search? Don't you continue to go on until something falls on your lap, incrementally accepting lower and lower standards? Or do they just decide to become homeless?

They may have "given up" their job search, but that doesn't mean they weren't pursuing other wealth generating activities. One could take on freelance projects, perform consulting work, etc. In my case, I gave up my job search and started a business using some $ from several angel investors. My business provided statistical consulting services to businesses and political campaigns, and starting it was one of the most reckless and rewarding things I have every done. My company eventually tanked due to some poor decision making on my end, but once I got back out in the "real" world to look for jobs, people (hiring managers and upper management) were blown away that a new college grad would do that and have a fair amount of luck in executing work for some major clients.

For new grads who can't find work, I highly recommend entrepreneurship. You have some skill or specialty, even if it's not clear to you, and there is likely a market for that skill. Plus, trust me, it's much better to be the boss than to be someone else's *****.*

* I can't emphasize that last point strongly enough.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score

They may have "given up" their job search, but that doesn't mean they weren't pursuing other wealth generating activities. One could take on freelance projects, perform consulting work, etc. In my case, I gave up my job search and started a business using some $ from several angel investors. My business provided statistical consulting services to businesses and political campaigns, and starting it was one of the most reckless and rewarding things I have every done. My company eventually tanked due to some poor decision making on my end, but once I got back out in the "real" world to look for jobs, people (hiring managers and upper management) were blown away that a new college grad would do that and have a fair amount of luck in executing work for some major clients.

For new grads who can't find work, I highly recommend entrepreneurship. You have some skill or specialty, even if it's not clear to you, and there is likely a market for that skill. Plus, trust me, it's much better to be the boss than to be someone else's *****.*

* I can't emphasize that last point strongly enough.

I assure you these aren't the people I'm referring to.

They move back in with family. Or they just stay in school part-time forever and sell pot, which I guess is a job.

Last edited:

Breedlove

Reaction score
Been about two months since I started my job hunt after spending the year after undergrad applying for law school, only deciding now that I don't want to go to law schol yet. Doh...

It seems the job market is like a desert and I may end up just going back to school since I'm not having much luck.
shog[1].gif

brokencycle

Reaction score

Been about two months since I started my job hunt after spending the year after undergrad applying for law school, only deciding now that I don't want to go to law schol yet.  Doh...

It seems the job market is like a desert and I may end up just going back to school since I'm not having much luck. 
shog%5B1%5D.gif

Unless you have a good idea of what you want to do in school and are going to a prestigious school for a marketable skill this will be bad. When the economy recovers, there will be tons of people with advanced degrees for exactly this reason and competition will be high.

Try applying in states that have low unemployment. I know around here, companies can't find enough people. Unemployment is ~6% but factories can't fill CNC operator jobs as an example.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

may be harder to get the first job, but
While the U.S. jobless rate fell to 8.3 percent in February, unemployment among college graduates over the age of 25 stood at 4.2 percent.

Those employment stats don't mean too much though, since they're just general unemployment numbers. Yes college graduates over 25 are going to have a lower unemployment % but a lot of that is going to be due to the fact that they've been out of school for longer and have to take pretty much whatever they can find...barista, retail, etc making **** money... plus some will be in school for med/law/etc. On the other hand grads under 25 are more likely to be living at home with family for the short term and holding out for a job that uses their degree.

Been about two months since I started my job hunt after spending the year after undergrad applying for law school, only deciding now that I don't want to go to law schol yet.  Doh...

shog%5B1%5D.gif

The legal job market is absolutely horrible and probably won't improve for quite a while, so I'd advise not going to law school unless it's "the only you'd be happy doing" or you have really really good connections that can get you a job.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will post back later...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads