• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What stereo(s) do you listen to? What do you want?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny how the experiences of your youth influence your desires as an adult. Used to visit the old Magnolia HiFi chain when I grew up in the Seattle area. Idolized Klipsch and McIntosh.

Flash forward 30 years later and I buy a pair of Klipsch Heresy III's to go with my long term Peachtree integrated. Really liked them, but never loved them so I switched them out for the Magnepan LRS+.

Got my bonus this year and decided to splurge on a McIntosh Integrated. Beautiful, but too "warm" to my liking.

Did some research and while the preferred pairing for Magnepan is Bryston, Parasound is a cheaper (and suitable) substitute.

So my "final" system is:

Preamp: Parasound P6
Amp: Parasound Halo A21+
Speakers: Magnepan LRS+ - splurged for the Magnariser stands which made a world of difference (I was legit surprised how much it changed the sound)
Sub: SVS Micro 3000
Streamer/DAC: Auralic Altair G1
Turntable: Technics
I’d love to see a pic of your setup.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Curious; What is a good pair for Harbeth’s 40.3. Tried Rotel, can dig out the number if required, was good, but not exceptional. Also Lavardin - was recommended in-store to cancel the element of the Rotel I did not like, this it achieved at tremendous conseqence to the overall sound.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Curious; What is a good pair for Harbeth’s 40.3. Tried Rotel, can dig out the number if required, was good, but not exceptional. Also Lavardin - was recommended in-store to cancel the element of the Rotel I did not like, this it achieved at tremendous conseqence to the overall sound.
See if an Audio Research I/50 will drive them if you can do tubes. It puts out way more than 50 watts by the way.

Another option may be the Benchmark AHB2 amp or better still the Pass Labs integrated.

I would also highly recommend the Boulder 866 at $16K. A friend has one and it drives Magico M3s very well.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
HiFi set up with bonus puppy

IMG_2968.jpeg

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See if an Audio Research I/50 will drive them if you can do tubes. It puts out way more than 50 watts by the way.

Another option may be the Benchmark AHB2 amp or better still the Pass Labs integrated.

I would also highly recommend the Boulder 866 at $16K. A friend has one and it drives Magico M3s very well.
Have found a domestic stockist which carry both Boulder and Pass Labs.
Consultation appointment for Saturday. Thank you.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the turntable gods smiled on me today. A turntable that was only 1 hour and 45 minutes away called out to me via Al Gore's interwebz. And I answered

Say hello to my "new" table, a full auto version of the 272 that I was lusting after: A Luxman PD-277. It has an Signet (read: fancy Audio Technica) 5Ea cartridge but the stylus might be fubar. Researching potential replacements right now

AYCEalL.jpg

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleek looking table. Not familiar, though. What phono stage will you use? Lots of great cartridge options out there.

Micro Seiki TA-1 tone arm

jeihRUd.jpg

It's definitely a head turner

oaaQKqP.jpg

Right now it's connected to the ole reliable Sansui G-9700 and will use its internal phono stage.

BTW: I forgot to dust. And yes I'm doing/faking it for 'The 'Gram' (that's what the kids say, right?)

dXTWclY.jpg

Last edited:

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
what stand? :O
That's a USM Haller unit that I had designed specifically, with CD storage and space for power distribution/ground units inside the bottom part of the cabinet (Shunyata / Entreq)

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Some goodies. Who can identify?
20230814_095346.jpg
20230814_095442.jpg
20230814_095454.jpg

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lovely. I only know the look of the td124 + SME 3009. Horn looks like JBL (from a Paragon?). Supercurious about what's in the lowboy cabinets ( a pair of 15" ?) and the cart on the 3009. But well done there.

&Son

Reaction score
I'm contemplating adding a Luxman PD-272

or a Micro Seiki DD-40

1936526-a4d54c76-micro-seiki-dd40-turntable-w-ortofon-cartridge-ma505-tonearm-spare-cartridge.jpg

to the main setup. The problem finding one that is less than 4 hours away

*sigh*

1693510851535.png
I can't recommend a DD-40 more highly. The MA-505 is a classic tonearm, and the looks speak for themselves.

If you get tired of the Luxman, track down a DD-40.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberts Jones