• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Btw I got into the main Moda group and the stuff in there is definitely not below retail. Maybe its because most requests are Rolexes?

Well yeah obviously Rolex is above retail lol? That is what they go for grey/used. Same with a lot of ROs right now. Moda is still cheaper than any front facing sites and way cheaper used for non hyped pieces.

I paid around $65k for something that was on watchbox for $80k for example

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Speaking of Rolex, Guys (if you had one) which model was your first Rolex, and what memories are associated with it ?

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
Speaking of Rolex, Guys (if you had one) which model was your first Rolex, and what memories are associated with it ?
1675 GMT Master, end of the 70s, from the Bond St Watches of Switzerland store which is now the Patek Boutique.

Asked, politely, if there might be a discount should I pay cash, only to be told “Sorry sir, no discount on Rolexes - unless you would like one of our Daytonas, we can give you 20% off those”.

I bought the GMT.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1675 GMT Master, end of the 70s, from the Bond St Watches of Switzerland store which is now the Patek Boutique.

Asked, politely, if there might be a discount should I pay cash, only to be told “Sorry sir, no discount on Rolexes - unless you would like one of our Daytonas, we can give you 20% off those”.

I bought the GMT.
rightly so

acconrad

Reaction score
I'm debating whether to get a no date sub (124060 or 14060) or a steel date just 36mm jubilee fluted w/ blue/silver dial - so anyone who picked there first rolex I'd be keen to hear whether you fall more sport or dress. I feel like the DJ would be too redundant to the Reverso but is ND Sub too played out?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm debating whether to get a no date sub (124060 or 14060) or a steel date just 36mm jubilee fluted w/ blue/silver dial - so anyone who picked there first rolex I'd be keen to hear whether you fall more sport or dress. I feel like the DJ would be too redundant to the Reverso but is ND Sub too played out?
No wrong choice here. Sounds like the NDS fits better in your rotation. Classic. Get the 14060!

(My first Rolex was a DJ. My second was a 14060)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a 114060, bought to coincide with my son’s birth. I am contemplating adding a DJ, reverso, or tank.

That said, I don’t think the reverso and DJ would necessarily be redundant. The DJ is so much more robust than a reverso. It really is more of a sport watch than a dress watch, despite the normal connotations and obvious blingy-ness. Like, I would wear a reverso when I gave my kid a bath, but I wouldn’t hesitate to wear a DJ.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first Rolex was purchased in 1984. It was a 16750 GMT Master. They didn't have one in stock, and had to order it. Back then discounts were easy to get on all Rolex watches in the US. I asked for a discount and they gave me 25% off the $1,325 MSRP. Steel Daytonas were $1,100 and the most expensive steel model was the Oysterquartz ref 17000. From what I understand you could get an even deeper discount on Daytonas. When my GMT arrived, it wasn't the 1675 I had seen pix of, it was the first of them to get the white gold surrounds on the hour markers, and it had a black bezel, which I had never heard of or seen on a GMT. My 16750 still had an acrylic crystal.

I wore it for a decade and I liked it a lot. The one thing about that GMT was anyone who noticed it and saw the black bezel would say- nice Submariner. It made me feel that a GMT really needs a dual color bezel or it loses some of its identity.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All are good watches, but my vote is for the 124060. The DJ was simply never a piece that truly interested me. It's a nice watch, but I'm a sports watch guy when it comes to Rolex. The only DJ I ever owned was a Oysterquartz DJ. I liked that one a lot because the case and bracelet were different.

I own a 5 digit Kermit Sub Date and that's a nice watch, and vintage pieces have a certain charm to them. However, the current ND wears about the same as a vintage 5 digit sub, but the bracelet and clasp are simply light years ahead of the 5 digit watches in terms of quality and appearance. Personally, I think it's a timeless watch that never goes out of style. No date Subs have been around a long time, and yes a lot of people own them, but its because it's a good looking, rugged watch that just works so well with whatever you are wearing except for maybe very dressy events. I have to admit, it's not my fanciest or rarest watch, but every time I put on my ND Sub I can see why it is so popular, it's just a damn good looking watch! Personally, I think its under appreciated for what it is.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member