• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Prices almost back down to what they should be for a lot of watches, it's nice. The independent stuff hasn't cooled as much as I had hoped but its definitely more reasonable now. Perp cal MB&F sold for ~$120 recently. I think it was closer to ~$160 - $200.

acconrad

Reaction score
Yeah no date subs are actually under retail on Chrono 24 I'm kind of surprised/delighted by that

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah no date subs are actually under retail on Chrono 24 I'm kind of surprised/delighted by that
You must be referring to older models, and even then, they are listed for more than what their MSRP was when new. I didn't see any current 41mm ceramic Subs for less than MSRP.

The video was amusing, but anyone who was paying 5 to 10 times retail is just an idiot. The people I know that own or bought those watches bought them from ADs or boutiques at MRSP. If they lost money, it was just on paper because they didn't sell them at the peak of the market, but their watches are still worth more than they paid for them.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Luxury watches are bread and butter for money laundry...
I didn't know that. I always presumed the people that bought at crazy high prices were just speculators, trust fund babies who just need the latest and greatest for their social media, or newbies with a lot of money who should have asked for advice from more seasoned watch fans.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know that. I always presumed the people that bought at crazy high prices were just speculators, trust fund babies who just need the latest and greatest for their social media, or newbies with a lot of money who should have asked for advice from more seasoned watch fans.

The value-to-weight ratio of a Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet or other premium brands is exceeded only by precious gems, making it easy to physically transport a watch across international borders. The vast, unregulated, and fragmented gray market makes converting timepieces into cash relatively easy. Unlike vehicles, gold, and diamonds, there is no oversight or registration for timepieces and a million dollar Patek can be worn on your wrist, easily breezing through customs.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking of Watches of Espionage, our very own @Neville Southall made the front page the other day:

Screenshot 2024-05-08 101622.png

acconrad

Reaction score
i think both are true

Also you know you're a goody two-shoes boy scout when you are completely blindsided that of course watches are a lightweight source of money laundering currency.

Dammit I just want my watches below retail and Hezbollah has to go and ruin it

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will the younger generations be sufficiently interested in mechanical watches for them to continue to be a means of money laundering in the future? I read a recent NY Times article stating that younger folks are less interested in fine art--another popular means of money laundering--than their elders. I guess time will tell.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will the younger generations be sufficiently interested in mechanical watches for them to continue to be a means of money laundering in the future? I read a recent NY Times article stating that younger folks are less interested in fine art--another popular means of money laundering--than their elders. I guess time will tell.
That's what crypto and NFT's are for.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think both are true

Also you know you're a goody two-shoes boy scout when you are completely blindsided that of course watches are a lightweight source of money laundering currency.

Dammit I just want my watches below retail and Hezbollah has to go and ruin it
Well, I'm not sure I'm a goody two-shoes :rotflmao:I just never really had any reason to think about money laundering. I am familiar with the idea of watches as currency, to the degree I know many of his have heard the stories in the past, or perhaps seen the discussion on this thread a while ago about Rolex watches serving as currency for military people or special agents in who are caught in a bad situation.

As for wanting watches below retail, that ship has sailed...unless you have figured out how to make a time travel machine. I'd suggest going back to 1987/1988 and visit two well known ADs back the day who would have end of the season sales on watches they wanted to move. Dorfman Jewelers on Newbury Street, Boston and James Kaplan Jewelers in RI and, are both are gone, but my dad picked up a Royal Oak Day Date (some people call it the "Owl"), and a his first Patek, a tutone Nautilus for 50% off MSRP. Speculators, trust fund babies, and money launderers ruined it for everyone! Even as recently as the earlier 2000's you could still get a 10% discount on steel Rolexes and 30-35% off Pateks, VCs, IWC etc.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw I got into the main Moda group and the stuff in there is definitely not below retail. Maybe its because most requests are Rolexes?
What's the price on Moda for BNIB unworn Omega Speedmaster EW 321 in steel?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xlagane