• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Along this line, a friend of mine that is an award winning custom home builder, told me the industry always adds 25-30% premium if the client is an attorney. History shows this will be needed to cover them playing Trump on the project.
The "You're Probably An A55hole" fee

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as an additional point of reference- my wife and I are both lawyers and we custom built. It went smoothly, for the most part, and the only really significant problems were with the city and its unwillingness to connect the utilities. We maintained a good relationship with the builder almost the entire time, and I'm fairly certain he'd answer my calls even now, five years later.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Just as an additional point of reference- my wife and I are both lawyers and we custom built. It went smoothly, for the most part, and the only really significant problems were with the city and its unwillingness to connect the utilities. We maintained a good relationship with the builder almost the entire time, and I'm fairly certain he'd answer my calls even now, five years later.
Sounds like you got ripped off.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Fair point. I'm sure that 90% ruin it for the rest of you folks.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My yard's not that big, I thought.

If there's no power tool rental available, I can just dethatch it by hand, I thought.

Can't take that long, I thought.

Soil temps are just about right to go overseed the thin spots...I'll be able to do that today, I thought.
1715191249434.png

...I thought wrong. Other parts of the yard aren't so bad, but this bit of side yard gets the best sunlight and water and grows much denser....it was just loaded with the stuff and was far too much work to manually rake out of there.

Wonder if I should start bagging my grass clippings. I don't think my electric mower does as good a job of actually mulching the clippings as a big gas mower and I think our local weather doesn't allow as much natural decomposition as in some other places of the country (plus maybe the effect of different grass varietals). I ran a power rake over it last year, so this is a truck load of NEW accumulation.

Thinking back to my parent's yard in MN, I don't think they ever once uttered the word "dethatch" and did minimal lawn care and the grass was fine. Not pristine lawn-nut or anything, but perfectly adequate for kids to run around and play on...

Eventually my neighbor's dandelion and clover field will take over...then it will green up fast and spread on its own.

Last edited:

ellsbebc

Reaction score
Never personally used one but the Sun Joe and Greenworks electric dethatcher machines receive positive reviews — even from lawn enthusiasts. Includes both dethatcher and scarifier cartridges but assume you would use dethatcher for your cool season turf. Either would probably be perfect for your size lawn.

Formerly, they would go on sale < $100 but those days might be long gone.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Never personally used one but the Sun Joe and Greenworks electric dethatcher machines receive positive reviews — even from lawn enthusiasts. Includes both dethatcher and scarifier cartridges but assume you would use dethatcher for your cool season turf. Either would probably be perfect for your size lawn.

Formerly, they would go on sale < $100 but those days might be long gone.

Yeah I used the greenworks last year and it was too short for my height and killed my back. I would try the sun joe which should have a taller handle, but it was sold out everywhere.

The manual rake itself cost $50 so the machine is really a no brainier

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member