• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from black tie thread.

Dispensing with sf black tie orthodoxies for a while, if I were to bespeak a shoe which could be included in my black tie rotation in a black crocodile leather what would be the best design? I am tossing between a whole cut bootie, b and l sagan styled loafers, venetian slippers with a chisel toe or a sleek chelsea...

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Croc and black tie should never go together. Not sure I'd ever go for boots either.
Historically they made sleek chelsea boots for black tie. Some of them even had a bow! I have alot of shoes for black tie so I thought I'd try something out of the ordinary...

shackletonian

Reaction score
it make me think that maybe they do outsource some of the last making,
hence the poor fit.
Like you once say,
you know men who got measured by Cleverley last maker and still got bad fit.
Maybe they got busy and outsourced?
Cleverley have the skill to do good fit,
so something not right.

I haven't posted in a while because, frankly, I have very few updates. I attempted to return my pair of GC alligator oxfords earlier this year when they visited on a trunk show, but GC just sent them back via FedEx. I had also returned the reindeer leather loafers earlier this year as well and GC still has them. GC told me that they need to remeasure my feet because something is not right with the fit, which is fair. The alligator oxfords probably need to be heavily redone as well.

The pandemic has made fixing the issues a challenge because of the need to remeasure me and remake at least one pair of my shoes. Making the issue more challenging is that GC keeps sending GG Jr, who is not suited to measuring - and, honestly, I'd rather not deal with him. GC have said that they couldn't send Adam Law to the US because of visa issues even as others from the UK (and those without US passports) have done trunk shows.

So, all told, it's about $15k for one pair that's still sitting in a box here - waiting for an opportunity to have a proper last-maker check the fit, and another pair that's still back in the UK. Even if I wind up with two pairs of shoes that fit -- and who knows how long it may take to get them -- the experience has been woeful. The leather on the alligator shoes is better than it was when they first gave it to me, but it's still less than the quality of RTW that I can see walking through a Neiman Marcus store. The experience was also a total bust.

I'm excited for my pair of Templeman shoes, at least, and have confidence that the experience is going to be great!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't posted in a while because, frankly, I have very few updates. I attempted to return my pair of GC alligator oxfords earlier this year when they visited on a trunk show, but GC just sent them back via FedEx. I had also returned the reindeer leather loafers earlier this year as well and GC still has them. GC told me that they need to remeasure my feet because something is not right with the fit, which is fair. The alligator oxfords probably need to be heavily redone as well.

The pandemic has made fixing the issues a challenge because of the need to remeasure me and remake at least one pair of my shoes. Making the issue more challenging is that GC keeps sending GG Jr, who is not suited to measuring - and, honestly, I'd rather not deal with him. GC have said that they couldn't send Adam Law to the US because of visa issues even as others from the UK (and those without US passports) have done trunk shows.

So, all told, it's about $15k for one pair that's still sitting in a box here - waiting for an opportunity to have a proper last-maker check the fit, and another pair that's still back in the UK. Even if I wind up with two pairs of shoes that fit -- and who knows how long it may take to get them -- the experience has been woeful. The leather on the alligator shoes is better than it was when they first gave it to me, but it's still less than the quality of RTW that I can see walking through a Neiman Marcus store. The experience was also a total bust.

I'm excited for my pair of Templeman shoes, at least, and have confidence that the experience is going to be great!

That's really a shame and it sounds like a terribly frustrating experience. I hope they make things right for you in the end. The amount of money you put down is considerable.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It looks like getting screwed on a pair of bespoke shoes is just a right of passage unfortunately. I love working with Nick.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ford Hazard