• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to start off with a disclaimer that Mrs. Piob is the best wife ever and that I'm a very lucky man for every minute I get to spend with her (we've been together over 25 years now.) This is in no way a slight and I also think it might be a nearly universal phenomena.

So when you hire a cleaning person you'll find that the tidiest your place will ever be is the morning before the cleaning person shows up. No matter how many years this has been happening it never fails to amuse me.
To be fair...that still achieves the desired effect. End result is still a clean house every week or two

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Relevant to this forum, I got an email about how Ramit chose his wardrobe for the show (love that he negotiated Netflix for it). Not really my style, but interesting to read the process.

Here’s a little behind-the-scenes look at how I chose my clothes for my Netflix show, How To Get Rich.​
Ramit
Clothes are an important part of my Rich Life. Clothes are one of my Money Dials (the things I love to spend money on). I spend extravagantly on beautiful sweaters and coats because I cut costs mercilessly elsewhere. I want to show you what it’s like to “turn the dial” way up on one of your Money Dials — in my case, custom clothes selected by a professional, personal stylist for an international TV show. Trust me, I never thought I’d be doing this either!!
I asked Cassandra from Next Level Wardrobe to help style me. Cassandra is a personal stylist and works with clients around the country on their workwear. She knows my personal brand and wardrobe (we’re married) and she has a very specific NLW Style System she uses to outfit her clients. Here’s her Instagram.
Cassandra started by visualizing the image I wanted to communicate. She asked me lots of questions about weather and schedules, but also how I wanted to show up on TV. We know that money is traditionally stuffy. People expected a “money guy” to walk in wearing an ill-fitting suit. But she wanted me to be approachable, vibrant, and relatable. And it was important for my style to fit in whether I was in NYC or a small town anywhere in the country. She wrote about her process styling me for the Netflix show here.
I called my lawyer and asked if I could get a wardrobe allowance. I didn’t even think this was possible, but someone suggested I ask, so I did. He goes, “Sure, we could probably make that happen. How much do you need?” I didn’t want to actually say the real number (which was a very large number), so I cut it down by 75% and told him. He paused and said, “....okay. I’ll email them.” Three days later, he forwarded me a VERY LONG email thread with multiple lawyers discussing the wardrobe allowance. This was one of the funniest emails of all time. They were aghast at what I wanted and one of them basically said, “Uh, this is a finance show, not a fashion show.” Uh, maybe to you, Lawyer Dude. I’m trying to look good. Also, the amount they initially offered would literally cover one sleeve of one of my sweaters. Anyway, we negotiated and finally came to an agreement. I ended up paying for a lot of it out of my own pocket, which is fine. Unless anyone from Netflix is reading this, in which case I’m extremely mad and outraged that I didn’t get my asking clothing allowance. Thanks guys.
Cassandra began the search for clothes 6 months before shooting. It takes time to assemble 50+ different looks for a show. Some of the clothes were custom (see if you can spot them on the show).​
Cass
But she’s big on reusing clothes. About 70% of the clothes in the show were from my own closet. We also did a lot of mixing and matching so I could reuse pants/sweaters in different situations.
The first fitting was hilarious. When I initially got fitted for some pants, I told them how much weight/inches I was going to lose in 4 months. They looked at me like I was crazy. They gave me the big pitying eyes, like “Sure you are.” I was like...guys, I know exactly what size I’m going to be. So they said, “uh all right” and adjusted my measurements. I was working with my trainer and when I came back a few months later, everyone was EXTREMELY nervous about the pant size. Just to mess with them, I pretended I didn’t fit in the pants (I really should be a nicer person). In the end, it all fit and Cassandra and my trainer did an amazing job.​
Cass
While filming, I would travel with a suitcase and photos of my looks. She would coordinate with production to know the locations and scenes I’d be shooting. Then she’d photograph and pack the clothes so I could open them and get ready for that day. I’d often take 3-4 outfits for one day of shooting. When you’re on the road and traveling all over the place for 14+ hours a day, the last thing you want is your clothes to be an issue. Next Level Wardrobe made it super-easy to know exactly what clothes to wear.
I sweat a lot. That’s why I was thrilled we were shooting early in the year...until our schedule got pushed back. My primary concern was: How am I going to wear all my cool sweaters??? Production looked at me like I was crazy. The temperature was cold on the East coast. Some fabrics look great in person but sloppy on camera. Some hold up well to travel, others don’t. And I prefer neutral shades, not bright colors. She had to factor all of these functional needs into choosing my clothes.​
Ramit
Cass selected and styled this brown-on-brown outfit with a cashmere hoodie and cream suede shoes. Upscale but approachable.​
Clothes communicate who you are before you ever say a word. When you think about money, who comes to mind? What are they wearing? For me, the image is a poorly fitting outfit of someone dressed like an insurance salesman. That’s not me and that’s not my image. Clothes are just one way to communicate my philosophy — especially of spending on the things I love and cutting costs mercilessly on the things I don’t.
Get help! If you want help with money, join my coaching program. If you want to start a business, join my Earnable program. Hell, if you want to get in shape, hire my personal trainer! I wanted to get my style, so I asked Cassandra from Next Level Wardrobe to help me. She lives and breathes fashion, has relationships with stores all around the country, and knows tricks of the trade. For her clients, they’re willing to pay for the best to simply get it done right and know they look and feel good. (You can apply to work with her here.)​
Ramit
And here's an article from his image-consultant wife on the process:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good thing he didn’t pay his wife for that “style consultation”. I don’t dislike his fits, but if he already owned most of those knits then I fail to see what she did at all…

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have I been out that long that pleats and cuffs on pants are back? That "brown on brown" outfit screams "I spent 5 figures to look like a slob", not "Upscale yet approachable".

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good thing he didn’t pay his wife for that “style consultation”. I don’t dislike his fits, but if he already owned most of those knits then I fail to see what she did at all…
I think you gotta go to this article from earlier in their relationship to see what she really did for him

30C538FB-95A6-4424-851A-7D7EDCA45887.jpeg

C063B445-FE0A-4A5C-B158-155FC0FDFF5A.jpeg

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have I been out that long that pleats and cuffs on pants are back? That "brown on brown" outfit screams "I spent 5 figures to look like a slob", not "Upscale yet approachable".
I dont mind the pants or sweaters, I actually like the texture on his sweater/cardigans. But wearing those dumbass athleisure shoes with it? ugh.

Jen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know what to think about the looming debt ceiling deadline. What are you guys leaving in stocks? If treasury defaults, do you think they’ll make good eventually (leaving things like IBonds as pretty safe bets), or is the whole planet going to just financially implode?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve learned that trying to hedge for the apocalyps is useless. In 2009 people where telling me to get gold, because banks where doomed. I never quite got that, if the banks are all going out, wouldn’t we be looking at a collapse of society? And subsequently, wouldn’t guns, ammo and cans of spam be a better ‘investment’?

Short version, even if the US defaults, some workaround will be found because the consequences would be catastrophic if they didn’t.

Catastrophe happens by accident, not intentionally.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

brokencycle

Reaction score

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t know what to think about the looming debt ceiling deadline. What are you guys leaving in stocks? If treasury defaults, do you think they’ll make good eventually (leaving things like IBonds as pretty safe bets), or is the whole planet going to just financially implode?
If we implode, your stocks (or bonds) aren't going to be worth anything anything, and neither is the dollar, so you might as well keep everything in the market.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reincarnation