• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must See Documentaries

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
The only way this could be true if if you haven't seen many docus

I was about to say, "I'm surprised to hear such a sweeping, ignorant statement from you, CDFS" but then I saw it was you, edina.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exit Through the Gift Shop is my favorite, but might be more of a mockumentary.

If you like that, check out Beautiful Losers. Docs are pretty much all I watch these days.

Restrepo was good, Fat Head was ok. Liked Joan Rivers a Piece of Work.

Sure there's more but I am drawing a blank.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
i've seen my fair share but the only one i'd ever consider to be a must-see is Home.

I'd consider the only must see to be Salesman.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It Might Get Loud.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything by Errol Morris. I think someone already mentioned The Fog of War. My favorites are The Thin Blue Line, and Fast, Cheap and Out of Control, although the latter is more of a filmed essay than a documentary. Still, both are unique and lovely documentaries.

Anything by the Maysles', especially Grey Gardens and the previously mentioned Salesman.

Capturing the Friedmans is really good. It's always a good conversation starter because it prompts so many conflicting conclusions

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys want a good laugh check out Jamie Johnson's "The One Percent." His interaction with Milton Friedman is pure gold.
laugh.gif

tbabes

Reaction score
Just watched "The Fog of War" again this morning; great documentary, with some insightful "lessons learned"

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys need to see Gasland. Hydraulic Fracking is a major problem...

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
You guys want a good laugh check out Jamie Johnson's "The One Percent." His interaction with Milton Friedman is pure gold.
laugh.gif

Just saw that, the guy is an idiot, but at least he is trying...not sure what

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Some good recent ones:

The King of Kong
Anvil: The Story of Anvil
Man on Wire

Originally Posted by GreenFrog
Exit Through the Gift Shop

docu about banksy.

Originally Posted by StephenHero
Grizzly Man is awesome.

All of the above are great. King of Kong is my favorite of the bunch. It has one of the greatest villains in the history of documentaries.

Originally Posted by ter1413
The Joan Rivers doc was cool.

I didn't find it to be very entertaining, but it did make me have a lot more respect for Joan and what she has accomplished throughout her career.

Originally Posted by idfnl
that also goes for almost the entire ESPN 30 for 30 series

Eh, I would say two thirds of the 30 for 30 are worth watching. There are probably ten or so that are pretty bad. There are five or so that are really really phenomenal and are on par with any doc I've ever seen.

Originally Posted by alliswell
It Might Get Loud.

I thought this was pretty good. At the very least it makes Jack White look much less like a weirdo and more like a pretty stylish regular dude.

Originally Posted by munchausen
Anything by Errol Morris. I think someone already mentioned The Fog of War. My favorites are The Thin Blue Line, and Fast, Cheap and Out of Control, although the latter is more of a filmed essay than a documentary. Still, both are unique and lovely documentaries.

Anything by the Maysles', especially Grey Gardens and the previously mentioned Salesman.

Capturing the Friedmans is really good. It's always a good conversation starter because it prompts so many conflicting conclusions

I've always meant to watch Capturing the Friedmans. I will have to see if they have it at the library.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of ESPN's "30 for 30" series have been excellent:
  • The Best There Never Was - about the rise and fall of Oklahoma running back Marcus Dupree;
  • Pony Excess - about the early '80s SMU football program;
  • Once Brothers - About the troubled friendship between Yugoslav hoops stars Croat Drazen Petrovic and Serb Vlade Divac
  • Guru of Go - about basketball coach Paul Westhead and his unique uptempo strategy; and
  • Muhammad and Larry - about the 1980 Ali - Holmes fight; and
  • The Band that Wouldn't Die - about the amateur Baltimore Colts (now Ravens) marching band.
Some of these were made my noted filmmakers (e.g. Albert Maysles made "Muhammad and Larry" while Barry Levinson made "The Band That Wouldn't Die"). While not part of this series, but similar in style is another ESPN documentary, "The Fab Five" about the early '90s University of Michigan basketball teams with Jalen Rose, Juwan Howard, Chris Webber et al.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdp