• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fortunately, I can still swing an axe so that keeps me pretty fit.

Not sure how if you are still involved in the gun world but I'm looking for a decent Marlin 336, pre Rem JM marked.

lefty

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Chopping wood can be an excellent form of exercise. Kaiser Bill cut down and chopped up thousands of trees during his exile in Holland. I sometimes bash a tire a few hundred times with a sledgehammer for a change of pace.

As to the Marlin 336, a cursory net search showed a lot of them out there, although the prices usually asked seemed rather high. I suppose I could be induced to part with my almost new 30AS if the price were right, but I kind of like having it.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I missed the window on the decently priced marlins and now they are fetching stupid prices.

I'm a fan of the working-class Marlins sold at department stores. I picked up a sold-by-Sears Model 90 16 gauge from 1951 that I love. I hope to find a 12 and 20 to fill that category.

Let me know if you're interested in parting with it. My guns work for a living.

lefty

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, about guns. I sold the savage and got a Mauser 201, also in .22wmr.

I found I needed to reset the scope every time I used the 20 gauge. It got annoying, and when I spotted the Mauser I jumped on it. Always wanted one.

But….. turns out the old Mauser also has a small issue, the magazine is slightly bent. Which leads to it sometimes declining to load. Luckily these are still available on the second hand market. At least this one shoots straight as an arrow at 50 and 120 yards.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wish I had enough testosterone to be in this conversation.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Daughter (favorite person) left to go back to school today. He is still looking out for her occasionally tonight.

1678681736480.png

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back when the AKC recognized only about 126 breeds, Frenchies were 104th, if memory serves. My second wife and I considered getting a Frenchy back when they were still rare. I think they're still very pricey, and from all I've heard, they, like their English ancestors, are walking vet bills! I think they first became really popular among gay men, and their popularity burgeoned from there.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they first became really popular among gay men, and their popularity burgeoned from there.
Oddly, the other big cultural vector has been resolutely hetero/macho black rappers and athletes.

Last edited:

WestLinn

Reaction score
I’m sticking with the purebred mutt. Mom was a working girl, dad was a traveling man. Every dog breed has a purpose for which they were bred, mutts purpose is to be a faithful companion and member of the family and he does it quite well. Plus he very food motivated so he’s easy to train, standing waist high made loose leash walking training a breeze.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let’s be honest, most dogs are bought as either an accessory or companion. Which is where a mutt is perfect, and so is a frenchy. Plenty of working dogs still walk the streets, but whether they can and are worked is doubtful. Which is usually why the drive has been bred out of them, not many people are willing to deal with that level of energy. Or have the time and patience to train them.

Funny anecdote: last hunting season my springer ran out of juice at three quarters of the day near the end of the season Which was expected, in the morning before the hunt he’s too nervous to eat and he really does give it his all. So I mentioned to our gamekeeper that I was planning to put him on extra high energy feed next season, mainly to give him the buffers to make it through the day. His response was that if I valued my living room, I’d better not. My plan was the equivalent of putting a severe ADHD kid on cocaine for several months. Better not. Normal high energy would do, and train him with a bike a bit more 1,5 month before.

And that’s what I mean with dealing with a high energy dog. Mine already walks close to 10km a day, every day, with some training thrown into the mix. It still isn’t enough to have him perform his best during hunting season.

WestLinn

Reaction score
Let’s be honest, most dogs are bought as either an accessory or companion. Which is where a mutt is perfect, and so is a frenchy. Plenty of working dogs still walk the streets, but whether they can and are worked is doubtful. Which is usually why the drive has been bred out of them, not many people are willing to deal with that level of energy. Or have the time and patience to train them.

Funny anecdote: last hunting season my springer ran out of juice at three quarters of the day near the end of the season Which was expected, in the morning before the hunt he’s too nervous to eat and he really does give it his all. So I mentioned to our gamekeeper that I was planning to put him on extra high energy feed next season, mainly to give him the buffers to make it through the day. His response was that if I valued my living room, I’d better not. My plan was the equivalent of putting a severe ADHD kid on cocaine for several months. Better not. Normal high energy would do, and train him with a bike a bit more 1,5 month before.

And that’s what I mean with dealing with a high energy dog. Mine already walks close to 10km a day, every day, with some training thrown into the mix. It still isn’t enough to have him perform his best during hunting season.
Where I live, there are some Anatolian breeders and they put their dogs out for sale on Craigslist in the agriculture section. They all state: "These are not pets, do not contact me if you are looking for a pet, these are working dogs". I drive by farms with sheep and goats and other livestock out and the Anatolians are out there with them. I've had people remark "oh, that poor dog, why do they leave it out there, they should bring it in", I just shake my head. The dogs are so happy being out there, doing their job, and sure, they visit the owner and walk around with them, but they are most happy out doing their job. My neighbor has a purebred pointer and she's beautiful. He's raised show quality versions in his family for years, but I can tell this girl is dying to get out into the field and work. I knew that if I got a purebred, I would likely not give them the duties that they were bred for, so I love my mutt who provides great companionship and loves the walks and play.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads