• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi guys, new here. Just bought my first "real" suit, feedback appreciated.

chiknwafl

Reaction score
I've always gotten by with cheap suits as I don't need to wear them often, but at 33 years old I figure it was time to finally buy a big boy suit.

I wanted to have a custom suit made, but I have an event coming up and I can't get one made in time. Headed over to Spier and Mackay to get one off the rack with alterations. I kind of went with their suggestion on everything but I'm not sure if the fit is good or if they're just trying to get me fitted and out the door, because I didn't feel as though they put in a lot of effort in having me try on different sizes and fits to really find the right one for me. Unfortunately its already paid for and altered, so no returns. Could you guys take a look and tell me what you think? I'm quite the baby faced 33 year old, and I'm worried that I spent 700 CAD only to look like I'm a kid wearing a borrowed suit.

My hand is in my pocket but the jacket length ends at around the tip of my thumb (which I've read is a bit too long, especially since I'm vertically challenged standing at 5'4"), which is one of my concerns. This is their contemporary fit, and I wonder if it's too loose around the waist. I'm also questioning if the sleeves might be too loose.

Attachments

• 20240403_164630.jpg
    20240403_164630.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Throw on some proper shoes and give us another photo. The suit does look like it fits you well though.

A minor quibble, don't wear the dark shirt with the suit. You want more contrast in that triangle area.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
need a better photo here. No mirror selfies. No hand in pocket. Camera level at about mid-chest level (tilt creates perspective distortion).

FrankyB

Reaction score
Hard to really tell from that perspective and also I can't judge if the length of the sleeve is right because you need to extend your arms for that. Also, throw some good shoes on, a wristwatch and a nice belt. Like somebody else said above me, the black shirt is not really the best combo. Personally, I think it works but blue/black is a combo i generally like and I think the smaller you are, the better it can look. That said, a white (or any other light color) shirt will always look more "Fashion competent" to a suit with a dark color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads