• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grid Thread!

DougDevious

Reaction score
Bringing a custom from 4chans /fa/ board over here.
Basically, you copypaste pics of clothes you like to assemble a hypothetical outfit blueprint.
pencilneck.png

The best part about the one below is nobody knows if I'm being ironic or not
thebestpartisnobodycanbesureifi'mjusttrolling.jpg

Here's a template I made just now which is a little more comprehensive for CM:
gridthreadtemplate.png

Not sure about what the rules are yet, but I know what rule 1 is:
  • No visible brand names or logos, we judge your outfit by its aesthetics alone.

AgentGary

Reaction score
Me think you new to forum. SF'ers not have hypothetical outfits. Every member own all outfits they think of.

Also SF'ers have special power. No need image to see outfit. I say " NR Moscow in black, AMJ-03 suit in LLTW14, EG Dover Doak 202" and everyone know what outfit look like.

DougDevious

Reaction score
Heres one I made just recently, after a recent epiphany that it might be smarter to "tone down" my style and go for something a little more minimalistic to start with, more of a "suit guy" look. It's still by no means "basic bastard", it's got a bit of an oddball edge, but it's at least more readily approachable and understandable to the average person in my age range than "green glen-check suit with a striped spear collar shirt, spectators, and red polka dot bowtie", if you can imagine how that would look on a guy my age, too costumey atm imo.
grid.png
(Yes, just regular combed cotton socks, not silk OTC socks, I'm not THAT fancy.
Where do you even buy stuff like that? Genuinely asking.)

unknown.png
Here's my favorite hypothetical shirt+tie combo.

ties.png
here's my other black/grey/white ties that i could also wear with it.

Also, I'm gonna bleach my hair and start wearing an earring.
So yeah, imagine that.

Me think you new to forum. SF'ers not have hypothetical outfits. Every member own all outfits they think of.

Also SF'ers have special power. No need image to see outfit. I say " NR Moscow in black, AMJ-03 suit in LLTW14, EG Dover Doak 202" and everyone know what outfit look like.
Spare me the jargon please, I have no ******* clue what the hell you're talking about.
Lets be a little more imaginative and TRY to make mens style a little more accessible to people who haven't spent hours circlejerking brands that only they would know about, okey? great.

hey @dieworkwear, I hope it's not too rude to get your attention over here and ask you what you think of this idea? I think it's pretty conducive to the whole "looking at men's style and assembling outfits with a more holistic perspective" that you often advocate for.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heres one I made just recently, after a recent epiphany that it might be smarter to "tone down" my style and go for something a little more minimalistic to start with, more of a "suit guy" look. It's still by no means "basic bastard", it's got a bit of an oddball edge, but it's at least more readily approachable and understandable to the average person in my age range than "green glen-check suit with a striped spear collar shirt, spectators, and red polka dot bowtie", if you can imagine how that would look on a guy my age, too costumey atm imo.
View attachment 1791116
(Yes, just regular combed cotton socks, not silk OTC socks, I'm not THAT fancy.
Where do you even buy stuff like that? Genuinely asking.)

View attachment 1791127
Here's my favorite hypothetical shirt+tie combo.

View attachment 1791128
here's my other black/grey/white ties that i could also wear with it.

Also, I'm gonna bleach my hair and start wearing an earring.
So yeah, imagine that.

Spare me the jargon please, I have no ******* clue what the hell you're talking about.
Lets be a little more imaginative and TRY to make mens style a little more accessible to people who haven't spent hours circlejerking brands that only they would know about, okey? great.

hey @dieworkwear, I hope it's not too rude to get your attention over here and ask you what you think of this idea? I think it's pretty conducive to the whole "looking at men's style and assembling outfits with a more holistic perspective" that you often advocate for.

oy

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what, are you jewish?
you trying to say i'm jewish?
you'll have to elaborate, i still don't know what you mean
It means he doesn't like it...
I'm not a fan either.
I don't like horizontal stripes, and I don't like ties with button down collars.
That's as far as my energy goes for feedback.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Not sure you're on to something, but pretty sure you're on something.

DougDevious

Reaction score
It means he doesn't like it...
I'm not a fan either.
I don't like horizontal stripes, and I don't like ties with button down collars.
That's as far as my energy goes for feedback.
Not sure you're on to something, but pretty sure you're on something.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is receiving pushback because:

1. CM inherently looks at silhouettes on our own body types, and all our body types are different. Not everyone is going to look great in a softly structured Neapolitan cut jacket as an example.
  2. "What Are You Wearing" threads mostly accomplish the same thing with less effort and people are lazy. Not hypothetical outfits, but actual outfits.
If I compare this to something like r/MFA's "Basic Bastard", it's very simple and straightforward with not much complexity, and that's the point.

pirfcON.jpeg

DougDevious

Reaction score
f
I think this is receiving pushback because:

1. CM inherently looks at silhouettes on our own body types, and all our body types are different. Not everyone is going to look great in a softly structured Neapolitan cut jacket as an example.
  2. "What Are You Wearing" threads mostly accomplish the same thing with less effort and people are lazy. Not hypothetical outfits, but actual outfits.
If I compare this to something like r/MFA's "Basic Bastard", it's very simple and straightforward with not much complexity, and that's the point.

pirfcON.jpeg
finally an articulate response, geez.

Jan-Mikael

Reaction score
I don't think you should tone down anything if you really don't want to. It feels like you want approval from people on this forum and I think you will have a hard time finding people here that will like the things you like. Basiclly, you're in the wrong forum.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberts Jones