• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giving my dry hair a "wet look"

seeker

Reaction score
I've noticed, while coming out of the shower, that my hair looks better wet. Unfortunately, under normal circumstances, my hair tends to be incredibly dry.

Does anyone know any ideas how I can give that wet look to my hair?

I've tried gels before, but I have to use a lot to achieve that (I'd rather avoid the Lego hair look). Mousse doesn't work either.

Maybe if I used conditioner more frequently? I'm currently using it once every two days. Or if I simply apply conditioner to my hair before going out?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
But stuff from the ethnic hair section at your drugstore. Fantastix Beeswax is awesome stuff, but I can't find it anymore. Murray's Beeswax is good, too. Also, products made from coconut and hemp oil are pretty good for what you want, too.

a-rock

Reaction score
brylcreem... find it in any drug store or supermkt. its been around for nearly a century. the stuff people used back in the day to give that wet slick look u see in old hollywood pics.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Murray's, but it can be a hassle to spread out. It's a good product to use after a shampoo since it adds a nice buildup to make things more managable all around.

I am cautious of hair dressings because they often have a strong smell. How is brylcreem?

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brylcreem does give you a wet look. But damn, it's greasy. I've noticed it's a little bit more difficult to wash out.

Yaz

Reaction score
Have you tried a pomade? I haven't, but I have a friend who has what I consider a pretty cool hairstyle (think Brad Pitt in Seven) that normally looks kind of wet and shiny. I think he uses a pomade by American Crew to achieve that look.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Brylcream when my hair is short but it doesn't give it what I'd call a wet look: merely a glossy shine. It is supposed to be used sparingly too, I think. The L'oreal 'Out Of Bed' gunk gives (IMO) more of a wet look, and also holds in place quite well.

a-rock

Reaction score
brylcreem doesnt have too bad of a smell, imo. it sort of just smells like some sort of shaving product. its certainly retro to use this stuff. i like it because theres no alcohol in it. the list of ingredients contains like 6 or 7 very common things -- mostly mineral oil and water. some of the hair products if you look at the label there's about 40 different unpronounciable ingredients in those things.

on the more frou-frou side of things, i also like using the paul mitchell hair moisturizer/conditioner. you can use it in your hair and its also a moisturizer thats safe for your skin. in other words, you dont have to worry about greasiness, stickiness that stays on your hands like waxes and pomades. most of the time i apply it to my hair and the excess on my hands i simply rub onto my face and arms.

side note: i found this website while googling for related products.
http://www.slickville.com/index.html

it looks like the SF of hair slicking. these guys post pics of their greased up do's, and discuss methods of slicking. these people take their hair greasing seriously!

WHO IS SLICKVILLE.COM DESIGNED FOR?
SlickVille is about enjoying slick hair. There are different reasons people admire slicked hair on men. Many guys find it sensual to slick back their own hair and admire the greased look on other men sporting these retro styles. Others slick their hair to attract woman and feel good presenting a masculine groomed image.

laugh.gif

ccffm1

Reaction score
The look is far easier to achieve when you´ve got dark hair and I suppose that´s not the case. Otherwise it will almost invariably look greasy, no matter which product you go for.

seeker

Reaction score
I'm actually trying to avoid the whole greasy/oily look. Tried it before, and it didn't seem to work well.

Sort of the look you get after getting out of the shower, using a towel to dry your hair very lightly. Unfortunately this kind of effect seems to fade about 10 minutes afterwards.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
What gels have you used in the past? Most are trash. Try Paul Mitchell super clean styling gel. It will maintain the wet look as long as you want it, but if you run your fingers through your hair later your hair will be -- as promised -- super clean. If you want to revive the look later in the day, just splash your hair with water and start over.

I don't like the all-day wet look anymore, so I use Paul Mitchell soft spray gel. It maintains the wet look for about an hour.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like you may want to try some hair dressing, even though you say you aren't after the oily look.

My grandfather used V05 in the tube, and I tried it once when I was looking for the same wet look you are looking for. It works great IF you use it in moderation. Too much and you become a greaser, but if you find just the right amount.....

srjrol

Reaction score
I would really recommend the Crew shampoo and leave-in conditioner. I had been trying to achieve this look for awhile, and really feel that this way works the best. Using the leave-in conditioner really keeps your hair wet for awhile and makes it easy to add in some light non-greasy gel if necessary. My biggest problem was that whenever i got out of the shower my hair would be all light and fluffy and I wanted it to stay down and have some weight to it which is what this conditioner really provides once it finally dries down.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
side note: i found this website while googling for related products.
http://www.slickville.com/index.html

it looks like the SF of hair slicking. these guys post pics of their greased up do's, and discuss methods of slicking. these people take their hair greasing seriously!

I dunno dude, there seems to be a somewhat different tone there vs. SF, this is the write-up of one of their posted "how-to" videos:

\t
Brylcreem Comb

Barbiere Doc scoops out a whole tub of Brylcreem, applies a thick layer onto his comb, and then butters it into his hair. And does it several times before treating us to a slow and sensious combing. Several times the light shines off the oil saturated hair.

confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member