• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Friday Challenge 4/15/2016 - The 20th Century Man

Who is teh best?!

• Crusty the 20's Banker

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Baracuta 60's M-o-M

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • 'Nam 70s Clags

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Intimate Pravda 50s

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Amsterdam McDermott 70s

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • 70s 007 calypso

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • 20's Dennis "Peaky Blinders" Walter

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • 40s Newsman Bienluienapris

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Clouseau 70s Suedehead

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • 20s EFV at the Cottage

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • 60s Thin White Duke/Michael Cane

• Baracuda 60s Mr "Steve McQuenn" Knightley

• DerekS the 70s Rock n Roller Hippie

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Miami Vice 80s RoSaCe

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • 70s Turtleneck CruzAzul

Votes: 19 31.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the rules, iGents. 1. Pick any decade from the 1900's and put together an ensemble that defines its quintessential/stereotypical style. 2. Make sure to note what decade you are going with in your FC submission post. An inspirational pic would be nice, but is not required. 3. Don't just put together some kind of "timeless & classic" fit that you would wear any given day and try and say it would fly 50 years ago too, so it counts. I will disqualify such tomfoolery. 4. This is not a strictly CM challenge. Nor tie nor even jacket is required. Want to wear light blue jeans, a white t-shirt, a black leather jacket and shades like a 50's greaser? Rock on. Want to wear some bell-bottoms, sandals and a flowery shirt like a 60's hippie? Rock on even harder. Want to wear knickers, suspenders and a paperboy cap like your great-great grandpa did in the 20's? Do it. As long as its authentic to the time period, you're golden. 5. Submit your fit by 10PM EST this Saturday the 16th. 6. Be awesome. 7. If you want to win, be really really awesome. Is this is alotta cosplay? Heck yes. Sue me. Are there alotta rukes? Heck yes. Cosplay is srs bsns. And go!
Let me be the first to throw down the gauntlet. City of London banker, the era between the wars (for the purposes of this challenge, between WWI and WWII, but I am of an age such that one might assume it were the years between the Wars of the Spanish and Austrian Successions).
Just for fun. Late 1960s. Here are two pics of myself, one back-in-the-day, one contemporary, both on the steps outside Goldsmiths College, London. Me in 1969: Ben Sherman shirt, gash sheepskin from the market, Levi Sta-Prest strides, brown boots (not DMs). Me contemporary: Polaroid shades from Boots, b/d yellow shirt by God-knows-who, Baracuta G9 Harrington, Wrangler Jeans, brown brogues by Jones the Bootmaker, Glasgow. I would have gladly worn an outfit like that in '69.
Mid 1970's. Channeling my dad, I guess. No rule mentioned it had to be from this week. This is from a couple of years ago. Dad's jacket from Vietnam. What he needed a jacket for at Udorn I'll never know. He wore it pretty consistently through the 70s and 80s as well as a bit into the 90s. I wore it heavily in college and when I was living in South Korea. Shows no signs of wear after more than half a century of heavy use.
Ok guys here's my 1950s inspiration for beach/leisure attire: Then:
NIWDENAPOLIS Wednesday, MARCH 17, 2007 Me today:
Its Amsterdam 1970, A young yorkshire skinhead in wrangler double denim, button down and Dms strolls the streets lost, - high on a cocktail of cheap drinks and local cultural participation... doing his best morecambe and wise impressions... (edit : does it still count if its NOT costume and we wear it everyday ? :cheers: )
I suspect that I will be disqualified :)
3. Don't just put together some kind of "timeless & classic" fit that you would wear any given day and try and say it would fly 50 years ago too, so it counts. I will disqualify such tomfoolery.
but I saw "The Man With The Golden Gun" yesterday, and the 70s Roger Moore is the coolest dressed Bond
1920s british gangster (think Peaky Blinders)
1946 journalist, before taking a Saab 90 Scandia and going to Berlin :
Today. My take on the 70s suedehead look.
How suiting I am visiting my friends summer cottage this weekend: 20-30s style.
As proprietor of Rod's Mod Blog (see link below!) it was always gonna be the sixties for me. I even went down into the garage to pay homage to Sir Maurice:
2ivl5ya.jpg
2h2owo4.jpg
208fwch.jpg
Suit - Silver mohair sharkskin MTM from Thick As Thieves Shirt - TM Lewin Tie - Charles Tyrwhitt Chelsea boots - Aldo!
There are so many great entries, especially the 1960s-inspired ones. I grew up in that decade, regretting that I wasn't a little older as the Mod styles of the mid-sixties seemed to me the epitome of cool. There was one particular piece of kit that I absolutely loved - the Harrington jacket. My entry pays homage to that exquisite piece of outerwear and the mid to late-sixties. My entry: Jacket - Baracuta G9 in 'loden' Shades - Giorgio Armani Polo shirt and cotton v neck - Polo RL Levis 501s Loafers - AE Kenwood (My pics from two or three years ago in Venice) Inspiration:
It probably goes without saying, but brown + plaid pants + turtleneck = 1970s.
sometime in 1973-ish
So nobody dared trying the 80's? If it's not too late, I couldn't find my 6x1, but here's my Miami vice inspiration

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Should be fun!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really hope someone wears a DB white dinner jacket out of season and says they're going for 1942 Bogie in Casablanca. I'll settle for a 1950s "The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit" reference.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me be the first to throw down the gauntlet. City of London banker, the era between the wars (for the purposes of this challenge, between WWI and WWII, but I am of an age such that one might assume it were the years between the Wars of the Spanish and Austrian Successions).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love it. Especially the hat and a chain.

Really hoping to see an 80s themed entry with a beige 6 on 1 wide shouldered double-breasted suit, a wide, loud tie, and brown loafers.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for fun. Late 1960s. Here are two pics of myself, one back-in-the-day, one contemporary, both on the steps outside Goldsmiths College, London.

Me in 1969: Ben Sherman shirt, gash sheepskin from the market, Levi Sta-Prest strides, brown boots (not DMs).
Me contemporary: Polaroid shades from Boots, b/d yellow shirt by God-knows-who, Baracuta G9 Harrington, Wrangler Jeans, brown brogues by Jones the Bootmaker, Glasgow. I would have gladly worn an outfit like that in '69.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
agreed. MoM did a fantastic job with this shot. Love it.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In. Haven't decided on what time period I'm going for though.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In. Haven't decided on what time period I'm going for though.

I think you would be great for very early 1900s Americana.

---

Great shot, M-o-M!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members