• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crown Northampton Appreciation Thread

Moostyle

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have noticed another issue which I am hoping you guys who own some Harlestones can provide some feedback on?

Basically I am getting chafing on my ankle for the simple reason that the height of the Harlestone is much higher than a regular flat shoe (eg: Converse) and the height of the side wall of the shoe pretty much directly lines up with the bottom of my ankle.

This means that when walking, especially with the squishly sole this shoe uses, the high side wall is constantly hitting and digging into the bottom of my ankle.

If I got another pair I would definitely ask Crown to reduce the height of the side of the shoe by half a cm or so.

Has anyone else experience this?

msimon

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have noticed another issue which I am hoping you guys who own some Harlestones can provide some feedback on?

Basically I am getting chafing on my ankle for the simple reason that the height of the Harlestone is much higher than a regular flat shoe (eg: Converse) and the height of the side wall of the shoe pretty much directly lines up with the bottom of my ankle.

This means that when walking, especially with the squishly sole this shoe uses, the high side wall is constantly hitting and digging into the bottom of my ankle.

If I got another pair I would definitely ask Crown to reduce the height of the side of the shoe by half a cm or so.

Has anyone else experience this?
I got this on my tl and Overstone but soon disappeared after some use, on my tl I actually had to take off the insole lining and sand down the back to bring down the ankle so my sides wasn't rubbing on the heel counter if that makes any sense.

Your hand stich Harlestone have a cork filling, I would wait for any compression, break in and re evaluate after.

Moostyle

Reaction score
I got this on my tl and Overstone but soon disappeared after some use, on my tl I actually had to take off the insole lining and sand down the back to bring down the ankle so my sides wasn't rubbing on the heel counter if that makes any sense.

Your hand stich Harlestone have a cork filling, I would wait for any compression, break in and re evaluate after.
Hi msimon hah yes I referred to that issue earlier too. The counter they use is very angular with its edges. So far the side walls are the only issue, so if this disappears then I will be a happy chappie! :)

I do love the space in this sneaker. Yes it's a little more bulbous-looking than CP/Koio etc, but most people will not notice and my feet are definitely thankful for not being squished or having any toe rub!

msimon

Reaction score
Hi msimon hah yes I referred to that issue earlier too. The counter they use is very angular with its edges. So far the side walls are the only issue, so if this disappears then I will be a happy chappie! :)

I do love the space in this sneaker. Yes it's a little more bulbous-looking than CP/Koio etc, but most people will not notice and my feet are definitely thankful for not being squished or having any toe rub!
Yes they need to extend the counter to fix this. Not sure if it's for cost saving because the calf lining can be upto 2.5 times more expensive then the upper due to grading, especially if its veg tan.

The rubbing on the ankle area will subside, but I can see cordovan being considerably longer to break In.

Moostyle

Reaction score
The rubbing on the ankle area will subside, but I can see cordovan being considerably longer to break In.
To be honest I am not sure how it can completely subside so much, considering the sidewall height physically nudges up against the bottom of my ankle. However, here's hoping! :D
PXL_20230326_105241455.jpg

msimon

Reaction score
To be honest I am not sure how it can completely subside so much, considering the sidewall height physically nudges up against the bottom of my ankle. However, here's hoping! :D View attachment 1926579
Wasn't expecting it to be that bad to be honest. My Kudu ones are so soft now. Are you a heel walker?, where you land on your heel and by doing so making the leather bend inward.

Beaded edges probably not helping either.

Moostyle

Reaction score
Wasn't expecting it to be that bad to be honest. My Kudu ones are so soft now. Are you a heel walker?, where you land on your heel and by doing so making the leather bend inward.

Beaded edges probably not helping either.
Ahh I thought you also had the shells. Yeah, the kudus are likely softer. I will see how it goes over the next couple of months. :)

hollandn

Reaction score
Ahh I thought you also had the shells. Yeah, the kudus are likely softer. I will see how it goes over the next couple of months. :)
I have the shells and I don't have your issue at all. Maybe my ankle bone is higher. Can you put a blister plaster over the sore bit and wear with socks and battle through until they give a bit?

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently received my natural chromexcel desert boots and I can't say I'm a fan of the toe box finishing. Is it just me?
20230331_154533 (1).jpg

msimon

Reaction score
I recently received my natural chromexcel desert boots and I can't say I'm a fan of the toe box finishing. Is it just me?
View attachment 1930605
I wonder what causes this. Is it the lasting machine moving the oils in the leather during pressing?.

Do they have a shank?. For the price of these you can can get jadd boots fully lined with eyelet facings and much better laces.

Moostyle

Reaction score
I have the shells and I don't have your issue at all. Maybe my ankle bone is higher. Can you put a blister plaster over the sore bit and wear with socks and battle through until they give a bit?
Luckily the discomfort has gone now after the break in! They loosened up and the side no longer hugs my ankle so tightly.
View attachment 1930605
That is clearly a flaw, imo an unacceptable one, and I would contact Ccustomer services and return them.

Moostyle

Reaction score
To all you have Harlestones, are you still happy with them?

I do like mine, and the standing/walking comfort definitely improves with adding orthotic insoles... BUT I have to say that the way the shoes roll/crease at the end is not exactly the most aesthetically pleasing (and I am used to shell). It looks kind of odd on these, as though the front stitches make it exaggerated somehow due to how tight the material is? It's hard to explain.

Anyone know what I mean and have any ideas for why it is so pronounced? :)

Attachments

• PXL_20230504_055426052.jpg
    PXL_20230504_055426052.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 125
  • PXL_20230504_055431702.jpg
    PXL_20230504_055431702.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 190
  • PXL_20230504_055435572.jpg
    PXL_20230504_055435572.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 205

msimon

Reaction score
To all you have Harlestones, are you still happy with them?

I do like mine, and the standing/walking comfort definitely improves with adding orthotic insoles... BUT I have to say that the way the shoes roll/crease at the end is not exactly the most aesthetically pleasing (and I am used to shell). It looks kind of odd on these, as though the front stitches make it exaggerated somehow due to how tight the material is? It's hard to explain.

Anyone know what I mean and have any ideas for why it is so pronounced? :)
Just looks like normal creasing to me. I use saphir shoes trees in my TL sneakers, fixes that problem in no time.

Moostyle

Reaction score
Just looks like normal creasing to me. I use saphir shoes trees in my TL sneakers, fixes that problem in no time.
Thanks for the feedback. It's more pronounced than my shell boots, but I guess that could be due to the looser structure in sneakers as opposed to boots.

I do wonder how the leather look in this area vs the shell, anyone got any photos of their used leather Harlestones? :)

Elessar

Reaction score
Coming back to exploring Crown Northampton again as my CPs are completely giving out, and came across the Everdons. To me they look spectacular in shell. Does anyone have experience with Everdon? I believe they launched in March, and the shell options were only added a week or so ago. See bourbon below.

L1050417blog_1024x1024.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member