• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Sp0o0kyC

Reaction score
I’d like to complete the whole set of rough out Islays. The black GMTO is on 3 participants so we are slowly getting there. I will put up a proposal for blue rough out shortly
Just wanted to clarify (and I should have before adding my name) if the commando sole is vibram or itshide. If itshide, would everyone be agreeable to vibram?

Style989

Reaction score
Just wanted to clarify (and I should have before adding my name) if the commando sole is vibram or itshide. If itshide, would everyone be agreeable to vibram?
It’s itshide. I’m really keen on it because i don’t have that sole and I think matches quite well with the style of the boot. Is it a deal breaker for you ?

Sp0o0kyC

Reaction score
It’s itshide. I’m really keen on it because i don’t have that sole and I think matches quite well with the style of the boot. Is it a deal breaker for you ?
Apologies, but it is. My fault and I should have asked first. All the commando soles I've seen/have for C&J are Vibram so I assumed, incorrectly.

I don't think the look is far off between the two, but from what I've read the Vibram commando is a bit softer in composition so it should be a bit grippier in inclement weather and softer on the foot. I've read the Itshide is much hardier and longer wearing.

One consideration I'd suggest is make sure the heel stack is completely rubber. I've once stepped in dog droppings which was hidden in snow in Dainite soles and even though I cleaned them off thoroughly when I got home the smell never fully went away from where it permeated the leather at the heel stack.

BurgundyOxfords

Reaction score
Itshide soles have less contact area as opposed to vibram. Also the contact area is centered on the inner part of the sole with no grip underneath the outer (welt) part. Therefore there is no support and the forces are less favourably distributed so the wear can end up being more onesided. It’s heavy wearing But the vibram is just better designed.

regardless of flaws the Itshide is still a gazillion times better than the commando St.Moritz sole I got on my Churchs McFarlane boots which wears like a flipflop sole.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And there is @jischwar proposal with Black russian grain aswell.
I do not mind any of those ideas as long as we go for 270° welt and #375 last. Can we agree on those 2 specs? I am open to other lasts as long as they are "narrower" in the heel, waist and instep. I had tried #228 last in the last GMTO and I need to wear very thick socks and structured inserts for my feet not to swim in them.
For me, I don't think a robust leather pairs well with a more formal 270 welt. I'm fine with flat or storm, but needs to be 360 for me.

Style989

Reaction score
Couple of issues with the spreadsheet

1) is there a way to pin it? If a newcomer comes along and wants to see what GMTOs are on offer it’s incredibly difficult to go and back sift through all the pages until a link to it is found

2) is anyone else able to edit it? I cannot anymore

Sp0o0kyC

Reaction score

1) is there a way to pin it? If a newcomer comes along and wants to see what GMTOs are on offer it’s incredibly difficult to go and back sift through all the pages until a link to it is found

1) I agree about the pin. I happened to stumble across the link initially through the C&J appreciation thread and access it through Google drive each time, otherwise I wouldn't know where to look for it.

2) I am able to edit. Here's the link again, just in case: h ttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ARsbRdD7q-tdVUPydZ92xlRdZlnI1bpc/edit?usp=drivesdk&ouid=115762581653088885897&rtpof=true&sd=true

*I added a space in http to avoid link embedding.

Last edited:

Marmite89

Reaction score

I was in the sheet last night checking what was live. I was able to update.

I’ve got it saved as a page every time I open Safari, but used to find it from one of the regulars on this thread that had the link as part of their forum signature.

Style989

Reaction score
1) I agree about the pin. I happened to stumble across the link initially through the C&J appreciation thread and access it through Google drive each time, otherwise I wouldn't know where to look for it.

2) I am able to edit. Here's the link again, just in case: h ttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ARsbRdD7q-tdVUPydZ92xlRdZlnI1bpc/edit?usp=drivesdk&ouid=115762581653088885897&rtpof=true&sd=true

*I added a space in http to avoid link embedding.
Works for me now with your link. thank you

Style989

Reaction score
I was in the sheet last night checking what was live. I was able to update.

I’ve got it saved as a page every time I open Safari, but used to find it from one of the regulars on this thread that had the link as part of their forum signature.
I do the same, I have it pinned on Safari. but we're regulars, so we keep abreast of what's going on. If someone just joined and he's keen to get on some GMTO's it's a monumental task to find the spreadsheet first time

Last edited:

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not having much luck finding examples of C&J's blue rough out suede. Anyone have an example?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrCrlhm