• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who tips at starbucks?

Leo Jay

Reaction score
I know there's a thread discussing how MUCH one should tip, but I'm interested specifically in getting people's thoughts on 'unofficial' tip jars, which seem to have achieved near ubiquity in walk-up-counter-service establishments, thanks in no small part (I suspect) to its adoption as a common practice by Starbucks employees, at least in New York City. I don't do Starbucks, but as far as other establishments with similar walk-up counter-service, sometimes I tip, sometimes I don't, often depending on my mood, the amount of change I get back, whether the counterperson was sufficiently pleasant/efficient (a rare occurrence). -Is this a common practice in areas outside NYC? -What do members think of this practice? Do you tip at these kinds of places? -Does anyone know what Starbucks' management thinks of this practice (officially and/or unofficially)? I think the thing that irks me is the sense that the employees are trying to get something over on me as a customer, soliciting tips that 1.) have traditionally not been common for that kind of service, and 2.) are seemingly not endorsed by management, given the fact that the collection devices are consistently makeshift, rather than a corporately-produced official-looking receptacle. I know these guys don't make a lot of money, but neither do, say... the clerks at Barnes and Noble -- and wouldn't we think it inappropriate if they each posted cheezy little coffee cups at their registers? (Though maybe some of us wouldn't...) Ok, I know I've already gone on far too long about a relatively trivial point
confused.gif
, but just curious as to people's thoughts.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Obviously the management doesn't care enough to do anything about it, or it would be stopped immediately. I've wondered about this too, as I avoid tipping anywhere I have to bus my own dishes or am just carrying out. I'm not sure why some people do it, though I have a feeling it often has to do with trying to impress the cute baristas and/or one's companion at the restaurant. The only logical reason I can think of for tipping ahead of time (unless you are a regular) is to hopefully avoid 'tampering' with your order.
smile.gif
And that doesn't really apply to Starbucks. (I'm thinking of a certain Japanese restaurant where several friends worked in high school, and the stories I heard...)

vero_group

Reaction score
I really dread Starbucks and its coffee. When I do find myself there because a client or colleague insists on going there, I do put money in the tip jar but only because I dislike having loose change in my pockets as I walk around. So, whatever change they give me, I put in the tip jar. All bills I retain for myself.

So, my laziness makes them a little richer I suppose.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unofficial tip jars are very common, though i can't speak specifically about the coffee places. i don't drink coffee. generally i tip just a little, say a dollar at most, with the reasoning that if everyone gave just alittle, it would help out this person who's likely making minimum wage.

i work in a restaurant so i'm probably more aware of my tipping practices than most.  when i was a cashier, i used to recieve tips even though i didn't have a tip jar. it's just some people's way of helping out the little guy.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really dread Starbucks and its coffee. When I do find myself there because a client or colleague insists on going there, I do put money in the tip jar but only because I dislike having loose change in my pockets as I walk around. So, whatever change they give me, I put in the tip jar. All bills I retain for myself. So, my laziness makes them a little richer I suppose.
At last, something vero and I agree on. This calls for a celebration. A coffee perhaps? Maybe at Peets? On do their Berkeley roots rub you the wrong way
smile.gif

vero_group

Reaction score
I really dread Starbucks and its coffee. When I do find myself there because a client or colleague insists on going there, I do put money in the tip jar but only because I dislike having loose change in my pockets as I walk around. So, whatever change they give me, I put in the tip jar. All bills I retain for myself. So, my laziness makes them a little richer I suppose.
At last, something vero and I agree on. This calls for a celebration. Â A coffee perhaps? Â Maybe at Peets? Â On do their Berkeley roots rub you the wrong way Â
smile.gif

Sure. You buyin'? :) Actually, last time I was in Cambridge, MA was for a wedding of friend graduating from the Harvard MBA program. I think it was 2001. I stopped off in a coffee shop there and do believe it was a Peets. Anything is better than Starbucks. I had Einstein Bagels' coffee this morning and it was yummy. Naw, liberalism in coffee shops is to be expected; it's a reality. I accept it as it is. :)

christian

Reaction score
But, why do we feel that waitresses and that these people at Starbucks should even get a bonus, the tip?

They don't make a lot of money, probably just above minimum wage. But, there are plenty of other occupations that don't make a lot of money either, yet we don't give these people anything extra. I don't tip the sales clerk at the mall, and their job is just as soul sucking as a job at a restaurant.

Tipping should only be given for a job well done. I'll never understand why people still tip even when the waitress did a horrible job.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
But Vero, as you said in your post libertarians ARE liberals.
smile.gif

aarghh

Reaction score
I usually don't frequent Starbucks, but I do tend to tip at Peet's and other independent coffee shops that I visit. Being a barista is a highly skilled job - it is a non-trivial task to draw a good shot of espresso and create the right kind of foam. I try, therefore, to encourage a good barista by the meager means at my disposal.
Of course, you are more likely to find that kind of a person in an independent shop, but Peet's will do in a pinch - they still take coffee (rather than the paraphernalia surrounding it) more seriously than Starbucks.

Leo Jay

Reaction score
Thanks for weighing in so far. Â Right, christian -- an efficient helpful salesperson at the mall generally provides far more service than someone who stands at a register saying "'grande' or 'supremo'?" Â (or whatever SB's stupid size designations are), yet we don't tip THEM. Another thing that sort of irks me about the Starbucks thing is that even if the counter-person is particularly helpful and friendly (whatever that means in that kind of simple service situation)*, why would I want to contribute to a 'community' tip jar which will be (I assume) shared with his/her slacker colleagues? Â
tounge.gif
*I don't know nothin' bout coffee, so I'll assume that aargh is right about the skill required for foam, so I think tipping would make sense there -- if the tip goes to the person preparing, and not into some general 'shift pool'. On the rare occasions I've been in SB's I've only had the bottled tea and a pastry.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. You buyin'? :)

Actually, last time I was in Cambridge, MA was for a wedding of friend graduating from the Harvard MBA program. I think it was 2001. I stopped off in a coffee shop there and do believe it was a Peets. Anything is better than Starbucks. I had Einstein Bagels' coffee this morning and it was yummy.

How 'bout this? If it's your home turf, you buy, If it's my house, I'll buy. I've never had Einstein Bagels, nor even heard of the place.

Naw, liberalism in coffee shops is to be expected; it's a reality. I accept it as it is.

A Libertarian savant and a fatalist. You are a dangerous man, Vero.

vero_group

Reaction score
A Libertarian savant and a fatalist. Â You are a dangerous man, Vero.
Huh? I am certainly not a fatalist. That would be more of a "we're all going to hell in a handbasket", gloom and doom mentality. Libertarianism (at least how I practice it) is about realism -- accepting things as they ARE and working and living within that framework. My point was: I accept that the neuvo riche coffee shops of today are havens for liberal-thinking people and those who think such people are cool to hang with. Doesn't mean I can't go in and enjoy a cup of java myself and be fine with it -- it is the way it is, good or bad. What I do not do is go around believing that things are the way I WANT them to be, particularly based on my own cherished theories of a great society. That would be living and working in Fantasyland (which, based on some amusing rants around here appears to be located somewhere near Belgium).
biggrin.gif

PeterMetro

Reaction score
Huh? I am certainly not a fatalist. That would be more of a "we're all going to hell in a handbasket", gloom and doom mentality.
As I understand it, fatalism is the belief that things have a single, inescapable conclusion. It could be good, bad or indifferent. I think that's likely what he meant.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure. You buyin'? :) Actually, last time I was in Cambridge, MA was for a wedding of friend graduating from the Harvard MBA program. I think it was 2001. I stopped off in a coffee shop there and do believe it was a Peets. Anything is better than Starbucks. I had Einstein Bagels' coffee this morning and it was yummy.
How 'bout this? Â If it's your home turf, you buy, Â If it's my house, I'll buy. Â I've never had Einstein Bagels, nor even heard of the place.
Naw, liberalism in coffee shops is to be expected; it's a reality. I accept it as it is.
A Libertarian savant and a fatalist. Â You are a dangerous man, Vero.
Einstein Bagels is good stuff. You are missing out. My favorite sandwich there is called the "Club Mex". Smoked turkey, thick peppered bacon, pepperjack cheese, lettuce, tomato, and sundried tomato chipotle mayo, on a challah roll. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, fatalism is the belief that things have a single, inescapable conclusion. It could be good, bad or indifferent. I think that's likely what he meant.

Thanks, PeterMetro, that is what I meant. Vero, think
Confucianism, (which is coincidentally pretty much as far from Libertarianism as you can get).

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintusingay