• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where Can One Find Side-Tab Wool Slacks, OTR?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, exactly that. I can kind of accept a slim drawstring for casual linen trousers, in fact I bought one precisely because it seemed the only way to do away with belt loops, but with wool trousers it's too much.
Still, some even have actual joggers (i.e. with elasticized ankles) in wool, which is much worse and way too streetwear for me.
Drawstrings are sort of inherently bothersome and unsightly. I have them on most if not all of my sweatpants and sleepshorts, but I only tolerate them, and barely so.

Chashuuligan

Reaction score
I'm curious why people want side adjusters on their odd trousers. Is it for a style detail when you're wearing pants without a coat?

I don't own any trousers with side adjusters myself, but they appeal to me as a way to hold trousers up without adding an additional color/material to the outfit as a belt or suspenders would.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious why people want side adjusters on their odd trousers. Is it for a style detail when you're wearing pants without a coat?
As a subtler and/or more comfortable alternative to a belt? Certainly subtler than braces, especially if you're not wearing a sportscoat.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They do allow you to adjust your trousers in increments smaller than an inch, which most belts won't let you do. But I find that side adjusters are a pain to adjust. For that reason, I never adjust mine.

If you want the "incremental adjustment" of side adjusters, you could get a slide belt.

Long ago, I had pants made without belt loops because I read somewhere that outfits look better without that line that bisects the middle. So I had all my trousers made with that "Italian" extended tab to help hide the waist button (still do) and no belt loops. But I find that outfits almost look empty now without a belt. And I like being able to wear the extra accessory.

Agree that suspenders are kind of a hassle. I wear them on rare occasions but have since moved to belted trousers on everything -- odd trousers and suit trousers.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do allow you to adjust your trousers in increments smaller than an inch, which most belts won't let you do. But I find that side adjusters are a pain to adjust. For that reason, I never adjust mine.

If you want the "incremental adjustment" of side adjusters, you could get a slide belt.

Long ago, I had pants made without belt loops because I read somewhere that outfits look better without that line that bisects the middle. So I had all my trousers made with that "Italian" extended tab to help hide the waist button (still do) and no belt loops. But I find that outfits almost look empty now without a belt. And I like being able to wear the extra accessory.

Agree that suspenders are kind of a hassle. I wear them on rare occasions but have since moved to belted trousers on everything -- odd trousers and suit trousers.
I get that. The interesting thing about the doctor I referenced originally (who as I said doesn't give the impression of being particularly stylish), is that because he always looks ever so slightly rumpled in his appearance, the lack of a belt seems to actually work to his advantage, sort of keeping things simple. (I don't recall ever seeing him in a suit jacket or sportscoat). Whereas on someone more conspicuously "elegant" in their appearance, I agree - the lack of a belt might easily make the outfit look a bit spare.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I dislike belts with suits strongly, they break the line too much. For everything else, again, it's simply comfort. I find belts uncomfortable when sitting.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leanbiomeuk